‘Biting’ a young horse

cundlegreen

Visit site
I hope that this isn't hijacking this post too much but I would like to know if any of you do any any exercises with the bit in place once the correct bit has been chosen and the youngster has accepted having a bit in their mouth? I am interested in any exercises that are a precursor to backing that would help the horse later when ridden.
Long reining, but in the danish fashion so there's not so much drag on the mouth. You can really make a mouth this way as you have the outside rein to keep the horse straight. I work all of mine in the school until they can do figures of eight at walk and trot, and some reinback. Riding them after that is pretty straight forward.

canteron

Visit site
Long reining, but in the danish fashion so there's not so much drag on the mouth. You can really make a mouth this way as you have the outside rein to keep the horse straight. I work all of mine in the school until they can do figures of eight at walk and trot, and some reinback. Riding them after that is pretty straight forward.
The Danish fashion? Where can I get more information?

cundlegreen

Visit site
The Danish fashion? Where can I get more information?
Basically putting a driving pad on the horse with the reins going through the terrets on top, more like where a riders hands would be. Sylvia Stanier did a book on lunging and longreining. This video will give you a rough idea. This was an untouched 7 yr old just being broken to drive. Once she was driving, I put a saddle on her and rode her away with no fuss at all, and a nice mouth.

planete

Visit site
Look at the Philippe Karl videos for exercises in bit acceptance through work in hand. Classical training, slightly controversial for some in this country but very kind and it can be a light bulb moment for the horse and handler.

The last pony I broke I started 'short' reining with no nose band, gradually lengthening the distance between him and me until I was long-reining, watching all the time to make sure he was confidently holding the bit without ever opening his mouth. A very good exercise for keeping the hands soft enough for a young horse too.

Tarragon

Visit site
I have been having lessons with someone who follows Philippe Karl and I do think that I understand the philosophy but I am struggling to put the theory into practice and just thought it would help if I could find a different approach that would help me get over this hurdle.

Tarragon

Visit site
The last pony I broke I started 'short' reining with no nose band, gradually lengthening the distance between him and me until I was long-reining, watching all the time to make sure he was confidently holding the bit without ever opening his mouth. A very good exercise for keeping the hands soft enough for a young horse too.

I like the idea of this. I trained my other pony for driving when he was 16 years old and loved playing with him with two lines. I did most of it using a dually halter so wasn’t thinking of bits. I think I need to ponder a bit more - I think I have a missing bit (no pun intended!!!!)

cundlegreen

Visit site
I like the idea of this. I trained my other pony for driving when he was 16 years old and loved playing with him with two lines. I did most of it using a dually halter so wasn’t thinking of bits. I think I need to ponder a bit more - I think I have a missing bit (no pun intended!!!!)
So much of it is observation and feel. I've had experienced people come to me saying they could long rein, and get in a terrible muddle. I use the whole school just as if I am riding, so you have to be fairly quick on your feet, and with a soft hand so as not to restrict the movement.