‘Safety’ stirrup warning

huskydamage

Visit site
I'm 10 stone and been using the same pair of peacocks for 18years. Even if they snap tommorow I think thats pretty decent. My rubbers are so brittle they would probably break if I came off. But ive leant the bands to kids who've fell off and lost theirs a few times. So they do seem to do their job. No interest in the triangle things they don't look very 'breaky' to me!

Leandy

Visit site
Agree that stirrups should freely release your foot in an emergency, but stirrup leathers should also release from the stirrup bars if pulled backwards sufficiently in an emergency (hence not having the end catch bit up when riding). One or the other should definitely be happening to avoid dragging accidents. So if you are using extra grippy stirrups for some reason (although as others noted this probably a bad plan anyway), it is presumably sensible to make doubly sure that a good yank will remove your stirrup leather from the stirrup bar.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Agree that stirrups should freely release your foot in an emergency, but stirrup leathers should also release from the stirrup bars if pulled backwards sufficiently in an emergency (hence not having the end catch bit up when riding). One or the other should definitely be happening to avoid dragging accidents. So if you are using extra grippy stirrups for some reason (although as others noted this probably a bad plan anyway), it is presumably sensible to make doubly sure that a good yank will remove your stirrup leather from the stirrup bar.

I agree, but I have had several saddles where the stirrup bar is actually a curve, so if you were being dragged round the pressure would likely not release. Not cheap saddles either!

SpringArising

Visit site
‘Apparently, the arm of the stirrup is supposed to break in the event of this happening, then you get a replacement stirrup. I bet they haven't had to replace many - the arm didn't break.’

Well that's not true. The arm isn't designed to break, it's designed to flex enough so that your foot can be released through the top.

I've ridden in every type of stirrup over the years and my Freejumps are by far the most comfortable. I prefer them over the Sprenger Bow Balance and Tech ones, mainly because I like the angled eye design as it gives much more flexibility in the ankle than the traditional 'fixed' design. I also think 'normal' stirrups look ugly and clunky, but that's personal opinion ;)

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I don't get how people get dragged with their foot caught in stirrups, I thought if the stirrup bar was down (which they are meant to be when riding) the stirrup leathers would automatically come off the stirrup bar as they are designed to do. This isn't the first time I've heard about this.

I do suppose it depends what angle you are being dragged at though as to whether they detach or not. Must be so frightening.

When I used to event steward I checked not only the competitors bits during the dressage but also whether their stirrups bars were down.

C1airey

Visit site
Can I add the current obsession with non-stretch leathers to this thread? Nylon wrapped in leather can be quite thick and make it hard even to adjust your stirrups, let alone pop off in the event of a fall. It’s not like swapping your leathers over every so often to ensure they stay even is exactly onerous, is it? Plus, nylon won’t snap if you’re unlucky enough to be tangled in gates/dragged/etc, which frankly turns my stomach!

JGC

Visit site
I don't get how people get dragged with their foot caught in stirrups, I thought if the stirrup bar was down (which they are meant to be when riding) the stirrup leathers would automatically come off the stirrup bar as they are designed to do. This isn't the first time I've heard about this.

I always leave the bar down, but I doubt the leathers would come off my jump saddle - it's not that old and I need to leverage with a hoofpick to take them off to clean them. The dressage saddle they come off easily.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Not all stirrup bars are the same or angled in the same direction.

I much prefer my calfskin covered leathers, I could never get my others to stay even regardless of switching etc. Mine has also come off plenty easily when caught up on a gate.

Skib

sites.google.com
I did get my foot caught in a RS pony's stirrup while learning to ride. Teacher's horse was bucking that winter day so mine did too. Ever since I have hacked in my Sprengers - so I am so glad people have posted that they do in fact bend and release.
But tho I take my own stirrups and fit them on the bar every time I ride, I have never known a leather slide off when I fall. The stuffing in the saddle means the fit is usually tight.