“Seen at livery”

stormox

Visit site
That the horse is at a livery yard and not owners house? So viewing might be at their convenience, arena might have to be booked.... Or could it mean sales livery - the owner mightnt be there?

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
Does it say "as seen at livery" or just "seen at livery" ? Normally when they say "as seen" it means you get what you see and nothing more. aka they won't lunge them, let you ride them etc. Either cus too green or too young or whatever. So to me this is what it means but I could be wrong.

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
Having bought a dangerous horse via sales livery myself (yes, I know, I thought I could turn it round :rolleyes: ) I would be wary that it means the owner is too afraid to ride the horse themselves and would prefer livery yard staff to be bronced off instead of them!

Melody Grey

Visit site
Having bought a dangerous horse via sales livery myself (yes, I know, I thought I could turn it round :rolleyes: ) I would be wary that it means the owner is too afraid to ride the horse themselves and would prefer livery yard staff to be bronced off instead of them!
It certainly can be this, but also can be innocent reasons; owner is ill/ has relocated/ is a total beginner that was overhorsed so can’t show the horse to its best potential.

sold at livery wouldn’t stop me from viewing, but I’d have my wits about me (the same as viewing any horse in any situation).

Caol Ila

Visit site
It certainly can be this, but also can be innocent reasons; owner is ill/ has relocated/ is a total beginner that was overhorsed so can’t show the horse to its best potential.

sold at livery wouldn’t stop me from viewing, but I’d have my wits about me (the same as viewing any horse in any situation).

Yes -- that was me. A trainer had to sell my young horse for me because I'd moved from the US to the UK (I'd hoped he would sell before I left, but hey ho) and my parents are very un-horsey. Mom was helping the trainer and took a few lessons on the school horses herself, but she was far too novicey to be showing a four-year old to potential buyers or continuing his education.

humblepie

Visit site
I didn't meet the owner of my current older horse as she had moved away and placed him with an event rider to sell - totally genuine sale. The one before was kept at livery and again didn't meet the owner. He wasn't entirely straight forward but they were totally truthful and he was super horse. Current one didn't meet the owner either but then he was still a racehorse in training.... Just find out more about the reason why at livery and why owner is not there.

quiteniceforacob

Visit site
Ok thanks - a little way off (thinking about kids in the not too distant future so probably not the best time), but want to have my wits about me when (it will be when) the time’s right. Thanks all!

oldie48

Visit site
Both Rose and Mr B were on sales livery, there's usually a bit of a back story but it doesn't necessarily mean the horse is dangerous, crocked or unsuitable in any way but I always like to try to find out what it is. If you are viewing at a sales livery that has a decent reputation, they should have fully assessed the horse it before it went up for sale.

buddylove

Visit site
Horses I've sold in the past have been via sales livery because I don't have the facilities for trials and neither the time or inclination to deal with it. As long as you check out the reputation of the sales livery it should be ok. My last horse I sold, the sales livery did checks on me and the horse to make sure I wasn't sending her a psycho, that's how it should be done!