1 Gelding vs 6 mares...?!?!?! Quite long...

TexmexVI

Visit site
Hi all,

I think this is the first time i have posted in NL before!

I wondered if you would be able to help me or shed some light on the situation.....

I am based at a private stables which is owned by my aunt. I own Texan the gelding and there are 6 mares he goes out with.
Now up until yesterday he has been brilliant, no trouble whatsoever.... we have had two arrivals of mares over the last 6 weeks, we introduced one mare about 4 weeks ago which she minded her own business and has been accepted into the herd. Then my aunt brought a 14h Dales mare, about 2 weeks ago, we introduced them for the first time Sunday and they all seemed fine, except the mare kept chasing each of ours and having a pop now and again but they seemed to ignore her and they all settled...

So yesterday afternoon, my aunt was dong something in the garden and she could here this thundering about and she said she saw Texan (my one) chasing her mare up the field, he then cornered her and was double barrelling her (not actually getting her) and not letting her past... then he proceeded to chase her again teeth baring
shocked.gif
.... the other mares where in another field minding their own business. So my aunt managed to call her pony which she came trotting up and stood behind her, she shooed mine away which he trotted back to the others.... the pony was quite shaken and hot.

Why did he do this
confused.gif
? I have never known him do this to any of the other mares? Has anyone else had any experience of this?

Thanks in advance

K x

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
It sounds like the new mare is attempting to be dominant and the gelding is putting her in her place.
It should settle down, and as long as there are no serious wounds it is nothing to worry about.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Sounds like a real dislike of the mare.

I'd watch it very carefully. Sounds as if he meant business, rather than merely establishing her in the pekcing order. Next time he could do some serious damage.....

TexmexVI

Visit site
Oh great!
I think by the sounds of it, he did mean business - as this is totally out of character on his behalf.

I just hope like tasteofchaos said he is putting her back in her place as she was a bit of c0w bag on Sunday.

Fingers crossed.

Tnavas

Visit site
definately putting the mare in her place - if he's not making contact then he is not likely too - his body language and behaviour is telling her that he is herd leader and she will do as she is told.

It will settle down once the mare accepts his leadership.

TexmexVI

Visit site
Thanks for this!

We put the mare in with them all for a bit lastnight together and they all seemed fine, so fingers crossed.

Although he came in with a couple of kick wounds to his forearms - nothing too serious, although i did expect that.