10 days box rest - and afterwards?

UKa

community.webshots.com
Hi, due to bad luck incident yesterday my girl is now facing about 10 days of box rest with a foot poultice … just now wondering how I need to introduce her back into turnout/ exercise afterwards. We survived 6 weeks of box rest before but 10 days is significantly shorter but how slowly do I need to go to get her back moving - i.e should I turn out only for a couple of hours each day to start with/ walk her out only – what would you do? When she stops limping she is allowed to walk around the barn corridor before 10 days as long as the foot is kept dry (we have an indoor stable) Note that she is prone to tyeing up so I want to be extra careful not to overdo things too much …

Accy

Visit site
Cannot offer any advice regarding the box rest, just wanted to say im glad your girl will be ok, after reading your other post i was wondering how you got on with the vet.

UKa

community.webshots.com
Aw, thank you! Fingers crossed there is no serious damage done to the foot and she will be ok once the whole has grown out - hope that this initial estimation of the damage will prove right but signs are good

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
When I had a hunter in that was prone to tying up, we always tried to keep him moving whether on box rest or not. As you can use the passage that's a good thing, and if you decide to turnout, could you not walk her in hand for a while first so she is warmed up before she goes and possibly gets cold if she stands around not moving in the paddock and keep her as warm as possible at all times, particularly over her quarters>
Good luck, hope it's not too bad.