17hh in a 3.5 tonne ifor williams

madeleine1

Visit site
ok so i have a horse im riding who is based somewhere without a school.

he is a 17hh/17.1hh id type. big hunter type. (wears 7ft rugs)

i own a 3.5 ifor williams ford transit horse box that my 16 sport horse fits in perfectly.
there are no particians in it as my horse prefers all the space and it doesnt take two horses at once anyway.

i know i can go measure him and the lorry but wanted other opinions. also we have a trailer and car that his owner has but it would give me much more freedom with him if i can put him in the lorry to take him to a school i can use for free (less then a mile away but hes not hacking)

so question is will the new boy fit in the lorry?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Depends on the horse's temperament and training. I can fit my horses into ridiculously low vehicles because they are completely calm and good travellers. So if it's a close call it depends on that I think!

Equi

Visit site
My 17hh goes in my ifor 505 fine but he's a good loader and travels well - his ears do get bent when he's got his head up in giraffe mode though.

popsdosh

Visit site
My 17hh goes in my ifor 505 fine but he's a good loader and travels well - his ears do get bent when he's got his head up in giraffe mode though.

An Ifor body on a transit is a totally different kettle of fish. They are not so stable to start with so the more top heavy the more of an issue.

Spottyappy

Visit site
An Ifor body on a transit is a totally different kettle of fish. They are not so stable to start with so the more top heavy the more of an issue.
They are, imho, very top heavy as they are high off the ground on the body to start with.
I'm also of the opinion they are not tall enough for a big horse. Also, unless it in incredibly short necked, will not have enough head room.
I had a 3.5t which was coachbuilt to take up to 17.2hh, it had 8' headroom.
I imagine the ifor on a body is nowhere near that much.
Sadly, for you OP, I would not use the box for that particular horse.

Last edited:

Northern Hare

Visit site
FYI I've just found this info on a previous HHO Post ref IWT dimensions.

I must admit I'm not a great fan of the IWT horsebox bodies sitting on Transits, as I once followed one into an equestrian centre and as it turned into the car park it's hind wheels on one side came completely off the ground and it looks like the whole thing was going over. When they unloaded the horse it was a fairly big horse - I think the boxes are only designed for horses up to around 15.2hh as the centre of gravity is so much higher than the newer style 3.5t boxes.

Quote ===========================================

Headroom:
HB505 : 2.17m
HB510 : 2.30m
Container: 2.16m (smaller than 505)

Lenght (from backramp to tapered front):
HB505 : 3.05m
HB510 : 3.47m
Container: 3.46m (nearly as long as 510)

Unladen weight:
HB505 : 905kg
HB510 : 1000kg
Container: 940kg (not including your chassis)

Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...-williams-container/page2#KWXG07kPEcsCcwR0.99

End Quote ===========================================

madeleine1

Visit site
i measured it today and in theory he would fit. also regards the stablity i am going less then a mile on a bypass so two lanes. we have two round abouts to do but can do them very slowly. just not sure what he will think about it but aprently he is a good traveler

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
i measured it today and in theory he would fit. also regards the stablity i am going less then a mile on a bypass so two lanes. we have two round abouts to do but can do them very slowly. just not sure what he will think about it but aprently he is a good traveler
With the combo of a notoriously unstable and badly designed box and a big horse, I would not travel even this far. It simply isn't worth it.

irishdraft

Visit site
I must admit I know 2 people with these boxes & I wouldn't put my horse in them . I have a ifor 510 that i travelled an 18hh heavyweight ID in , what's the trailor car combination you have ?