18 inch saddle on a pony.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
my little mare is a broad sort, about 13.3/14hh the kid riding her is a bit chubby, the saddle i have is 18 inches, forward cut and seems to fit her well, for short times would it be ok for the pony to use it??

child is about 14 stone not tall but very chubby. and the saddle also accomodates her butt well.

Loopypony

Visit site
My first response is to say no, its far too big but its difficult to say without seeing pony. Get a saddler out to check and don't use it until you have - could do a lot more damage than good with such a large saddle on a small pony.

laura7981

Visit site
Its hard to say without seeing it but personally I'd say no.... I have a 15.2 long backed horse and an 18inch saddle would be too long for her. Does the cantle go past her last rib?

tonitot

Visit site
Course you can, doesn't matter of the back of the saddle sits on the ponys hips, if he gets permanently damaged and cant be ridden anymore you can get rid and buy a new pony :D

Keenjean

Visit site
I think that's fine, I have a 14.1 cob and have to use and 18" saddle as I'm 16.5 stone but I use a prolite pad so I know I'm not hurting his back.

Silent Knight

Visit site
Get a saddler out to check it. the saddle should never pass the last rib. The kidneys are delicate and the saddle can cause damage. If you need such a large horse saddle, maybe the kid is too heavy / big for the pony.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
My 14.2 well built Haffie can only take a 16 inch saddle and shes a mare who are often longer than geldings.

Def def would need a qualified saddle fitter to say that an 18 inch could poss fit a pony that size, its the size my heavy hunter of 17 hands takes.

Personally I would say for 90% of ponies that side it would not be comfy for them.

If the rider needs an 18 inch saddle rather than the pony, they might be too big for the pony.....

rhino

Visit site
Size of your arse? No way you would ever squash it in to an 18" saddle :rolleyes: :(

And stop pretending it's a child :eek: :eek: you're as bad as those posters who post about their 'friend's' problems :eek: :D

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
My first response is to say no, its far too big but its difficult to say without seeing pony. Get a saddler out to check and don't use it until you have - could do a lot more damage than good with such a large saddle on a small pony.

pony will be for sale in the ny so im not to worried, she isnt bucking, napping or playing up, she is ears forward and willing to gallop!

SpruceRI

Visit site
It really depends on the length of the ponys' back as if the saddle underside goes beyond the last rib then it's too long.

No one could really say without looking at it.

I had an 18" saddle on a 14.2hh with a breastplate to stop it slipping back. The saddler said saddle was fine as long as it didn't slide back.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Size of your arse? No way you would ever squash it in to an 18" saddle :rolleyes: :(

And stop pretending it's a child :eek: :eek: you're as bad as those posters who post about their 'friend's' problems :eek: :D

oh ffs theres always one!

when i ride i use a western saddle:D

Keenjean

Visit site
No, western saddles are totally different, you can use any length western saddle on any horse and they enable any weight rider to ride any sized horse, haven't you watched any western films to check, I'd recommend that. I tend to just look at photos of other peoples saddles and if mine looks like there's does then there's no need to get a saddler out. Hope this helps :D

JessPickle

Visit site
I can't imagine an 18 inch saddle on a pony myself considering I have one on my big 17hh'er. It would swamp out 15.1hh but he is quite fine. Hard to say without seeing it.

rhino

Visit site
nothing against weight etc, but 18 inc on a pony?
maybe a 17inch on a 14,2hh HW cob type.
I guess the best bet is a saddler?

What, you think she should ride the saddler instead:

women_riding_02.jpg

Takes all sorts I suppose :rolleyes: :eek: