1st Anniversary

oldie48

Visit site
I took a bit of a punt on Rose, she'd been out of work for nearly three years and was very unfit with no muscle. A year on, she's proving to be a very lovely mare, she's certainly not push button, does have a bit of an opinion and has a few evasions but generally she's a polite talented mare and we are really starting to build a partnership. I could do with being fitter too and a better rider would get much better work out of her but she is beginning to help me out. Anyway, I am very pleased with her and I think she looks a completely different horse. First pic was a year ago, 2nd one is quite recent.different horse.rose Dec 1st 2018.jpg72690659_2723146084363881_5111189280433111040_n.jpg

still standing

Visit site
She looks lovely, quite a transformation in that time, well done. I've been following your journey with interest, as I too got a rather novicey (and also black!) mare less than a couple of years ago... and it's reassuring to hear the same things can happen - she is occasionally challenging and wilful but a good one at heart, who is beginning to bond now. I look forward to hearing more about Rose.

oldie48

Visit site
She looks lovely, quite a transformation in that time, well done. I've been following your journey with interest, as I too got a rather novicey (and also black!) mare less than a couple of years ago... and it's reassuring to hear the same things can happen - she is occasionally challenging and wilful but a good one at heart, who is beginning to bond now. I look forward to hearing more about Rose.
It's 20 years since we had a mare (first horse) and I think in the early days I listened a bit too much to those who told me I needed to treat a mare differently. TBH she is a mare that needs very clear boundaries and to be put back in her box the moment she tries to step out of it, tactfully, yes, but very firmly or she starts to get a bit above herself. She's very clever and it's not a good idea to let her do too much of the thinking. We have had our moments but I feel we are starting to make better progress now that I am prepared to take her on as she will accept correction rather than escalating things and I think she is happier for it. Good luck with your mare, do post some pics!

still standing

Visit site
Oldie48, that all sounds so familiar! Thank you for making me feel my own hiccups are just part of the progress. Just this week in fact, I have arranged with my YO, who is very experienced at starting and bringing along young and green horses, to ride mine once a week. I just felt that she needs the occasional firmer hand than I am capable of doing these days... so we will see how that goes. I will definitely post a photo of her when I work out how to do it on here!