1st day of desensitisation.

loopeepee

Visit site
Hummm, well it didnt go as planned to say the least.

I borrowed my mates tiny 'WAHL' trimmers that make a really low buzz. I spent loads of time grooming, bathing and generally playing with him before hand. My friend was walking past every now and again with the clipper.
Then I made him up a yummy meal, with carrots etc in his rubber skip. Got another one and put it underneath and turned clippers on. He watched me do it all as I didnt just want to go 'Boo, here is your dinner' and shove a vibrating bowl under his nose!
blush.gif

He snorted, and blew, and backed up and bascially fretted badly. This was on the enclosed yard (no other horses around), as I didnt want to do it 1st time in his stable and him to reallllly worry.
Well he was seriously scared, wouldnt go near the food, absolutly having none of it and pi55ed off up yard. Humm, off the clippers got turned!
I got him and brought back to the 'quiet' food, whilst my friend walked away (turning the clippers on in her hand as she did). He snorted, but carried on eating. She slowly started walking back with it behind her back - Im talking like a loon (he enjoys disney tales!
grin.gif
) to him. He just carried on eating so that was good.
Called it a day when he was eating and they were near him, and noticed he had tucked up quite a bit, which shows how genuinely afraid he is. Poor lamb
frown.gif

Will keep taking it slow for now. He seems okish with it walking past him, and being used on other horses he is near, but anything actually to do with him in another story!!

Hornby

Visit site
I think that's quite good considering, I would find vibrating food quite scarey. Could he even see that the clippers were there to make the noise? I must do something similar with mine - run them every day so she gets used to the noise (she will tolerate being clipped but needs legs held, sedalin etc and I would like a stressfree experience for all) Please keep us updated with your progress.

mandy4727

Visit site
Well done. Keep up with the good work. Keep a log on your computer and date it. We did that with training for our yearling. And when you look back a couple of months later you can see how far you have come. Keep doing what you have been doing for a good few days. It will take a long time for him to realise they aren't going to kill him. Groom him over with them. But not switched on. Praise every good step in the right direction and ignore every wrong one. Loads of praise. I think I am going to have to be like this with mine. She is only a yearling so no need to clip yet. But when the time comes. I make sure when anyone clips they do it next to her, near her, in the next stable. So that she can see and hear it and realise it isn't the trama she thinks it is. Good luck.