1st Pony

Cobnut1

Visit site
I was asked about 18months ago, by my friends child who lives with her grandparents, to help her (11yrs old at the time) convince her gran to buy her a pony....... naturally I did not, several reasons, but mainly because her grandparents have never had anything to do with horses other than take her horse-riding, and in an emergency they would not know what to do....

I bumped into the grandad the other day, and he says she is riding so well now and doing little competitions within her yard that they are considering buying pony for her next spring. They still don't know anything about horses, and I feel they should atleast read up on it, perhaps do a horse management course at the loacl agricultural college, even if it's an evening course.

They would like my advice on this, and though I ilke them and would like to help them get the right pony for her, how would I go about it? And would it be better if they were to find a pony that needs a share at first, so that the child can gain experience, before plunging into ownership?

Thanks for your replies
grin.gif

Claireg9

Visit site
yes id say a share pony would be prefect although im not sure if you'll get one for a small girl.
But defo get the grandparents to do a management course as an 11-12 year old girl can not be left solely responsible for a pony!

Boxers

Visit site
Where do they propose to keep the pony? If it's at their own home and they will be the sole carers then, yes they must do some sort of management course first. If they're going to keep it at a riding school or livery yard, then they should check with the owner/manager what help will be available to them. We have an 11 yr old at our yard whose parents are not horsey and never come with her, but the yard manager supervises her and other parents too (by prior arrangement)

Cobnut1

Visit site
She's just turned 13, and very tall (for her age)...I reckon 14hh - 14.2hh would suit her quite well... though haven't seen her for a while, she maybe taller!!

I'll be advising them to keep it either at the currant school she goes to, or if that's too far, to keep it at another nearer school..... they did want me originally to watch over her, but in a grass/diy yard with no YM that's not possible.

Parkranger

Visit site
Ok, I'm going to get shot for this but that's rubbish about having to do a certificates etc before you get a horse! I had my first horse at 11 and we also had ponies - as long as you've been around them for a while, so have learnt basic stable management, are not scared/too arrogant to ask for advice and help and have a good amount of common sense then I don't understand the problem.

At 12/13 I was a very competent rider with a good deal of knowledge - think alot depends on the kid in question.

siennamum

Visit site
I agree, poor kid, she's clearly keen & should be encouraged. So long as they are prepared to ask for and accept advice they shoudl be fine.

Parkranger

Visit site
My parents encouraged me to spend all the weekends down my local riding school though, mucking out and riding and grooming etc so that I understood what a committment it was first...

brightmount

Visit site
They also need to appreciate the financial commitment. Livery for a start is equivalent to a mortgage, especially if it's not DIY, and I assume it wouldn't be for a schoolchild without horsey parents.

Secondly, it's all fine when it all goes smoothly and the horse is fit and well, but even with insurance, the financial implications of a bad injury to the horse are devastating. There are areas insurance doesn't cover, and a lot of extra work, plus the disappointment of not being able to ride, and possible loss of use, which you can insure for - again, more expense. It's very stressful. Even with insurance, I have lost thousands on my horses over the years, though I admit I have been unlucky. My advice would be get a good solid native like a cob, have a full vetting, and insure with NFU that also cover transport, and insure for loss of use. And get a quote for all that before even looking at Horsedeals!!

Cobnut1

Visit site
I'm not saying they should do get a cert before buying... but the grandparents IMO need to get some experience so they can atleast help her out in times of need... I will certainly get them to get some books on the subject....

_jetset_

Visit site
Why don't you suggest the child goes down and helps out at the riding school. I don't see the need for the grandparents to have any horse knowledge at all, I am sorry, I just don't see why this is such a big issue to you.

My parents have never had anything to do with horses. My Mum is terrified and my Dad has never been around them. Although I didn't have a pony when I was younger, if I had my parents would have made sure it was at a riding school where there was help on hand at all times and they did not need to get involved. I know a lot of children who have done just that... the parents take them, but the child does everything, and if they are not sure just ask someone more experienced on the yard.

Parkranger

Visit site
My point exactly - my parents wouldn't let me have a horse until they saw that I actually enjoyed spending every waking moment down the yard!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
If the grandparents have the money then I don't see the problem.
When I was a kid I had two ponies on loan. My dad hates horses, and although my mum is a horse lover and could help out with riding if need be she didnt help at all, and she wasnt up on stable management etc. I did it all on my own.
If she finds a good yard with lots of kids on it (and there's plenty about) she'll be fine. It's rubbish about people having to do certificates before they buy a horse.

Cobnut1

Visit site
If kid wanted a dog...they'd have to help out...take it for walks, feed it love it when kids at school or not well.... Since they are paying for it, they should know exactly what they are getting into... and not just buy the pony and offload child to do as she pleases.... yes she rides well, (though I haven't seen her for a while)

AND WHERE DID I SAY IT WAS MANDATORY FOR A CERT TO BE GOTTEN?????????? I just thought it'd be an idea...please read the post carefully!

they are the kind of people to take an interest in thier grandchilds hobby

Cobnut1

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you suggest the child goes down and helps out at the riding school. I don't see the need for the grandparents to have any horse knowledge at all

[/ QUOTE ]

I have already suggested this......

and i do not understand that you don't think that they need some idea of horses

Parkranger

Visit site
I think we're talking cross purposes - she needs to proably be on a yard with other people so that they can give her the support she needs.

A few months helping out at a local yard will help the grandparents work out whether she's 'adult' enough to have her own horse.

Like I said, at 12 I was very competent and was riding a 15.2 saddlebred and looking after him on our own yard. HAve to admit that it was lonely and I much prefer being on a yard with other people who want to compete etc.

_jetset_

Visit site
M parents didn't have any idea about horses, still don't to be honest. My best friend had a pony and her parents knew nothing at all and did not get involved one bit. It was her responsibility to look after it, and if there was ever a problem she would go to the yard owner, manager or a more experienced person and ask for their advice. I'm sorry, I don't think you should push them into getting involved. If they want to that is a very different matter, but as for reading books etc, I just think that is pointless. If they are going to do anything, surely it would be better for them to just go down and observe what others are doing rather than learning it from a book if they have no prior knowledge. Remember the saying, little knowledge is a dangerous thing! In my opinion it is even worse when learned out of a book.

Cobnut1

Visit site
I hope i can get them into livery at a very good school that does livery...pluses are that if there are any shows she'd like to attend, they will take her..they do a service for liveries that don't have transport, to take them to shows...they also host their own shows...winter and summer points in dressage and jumping and also jumping shows for the nervous rider...plus she can join in lessons/hacks, and use all the faciliites.

i suppose they don't need to know anything but it would be nice if they could advise her on some things.... if there's too many people at yards and you get on well with most, i feel like you can get conflicting advise, and the grandparents shold get to know the pony in the same way as the child does...so can advise to the pony's needs and not particularly take the advise of others who will undoubtedly base it on their own horse....

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

AND WHERE DID I SAY IT WAS MANDATORY FOR A CERT TO BE GOTTEN?????????? I just thought it'd be an idea...please read the post carefully!

[/ QUOTE ]

other people were saying that people should do a certificate.

You're asking others opinions then getting the hump when they say things you don't like! You have obviously made your mind up before you posted. So no need to speak to others asif they are children. I CAN READ!!!

Cobnut1

Visit site
i am not getting the "hump" other's just came across as it should be the norm or not at all.... tis all... had i made up me mind before i posted why then did i post?

hey I'm new here..... is that a problem, that i don't know how you guys work this forum?

_jetset_

Visit site
There's no way to work the forum as you put it... but let me give you some advice. When you put capitals in your post as you did, you will receive a lot of negative feedback from then on.

If you ask for opinions be prepared not to like all of the answers that you get, that is the point of an open forum.

Not having a go, just trying to point you in the right direction so you don't meet any conflict

pixie

Visit site
When I was 13 I kept my horses at home on our smallholding. My parents weren't horsey at all, but I wish that they had been interested and perhaps knew a bit more. I would have loved for them to have spend more time with the horses, and perhaps taken some photos when I was riding. They didn't understand why I needed to buy certain things for them, iI imagine that if they were given hard feed there would have been argumants about why certain types of (cheaper) feed weren't fine to give them compared to more (expensive) suitable for them.
I think its a great idea for the granparents to get involved - reading books and doing courses would be very useful for them to understand how much work horses involve.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
When you write in capital letters it means you are shouting. not a very good start!
I didnt know you were new, so no I wasnt picking on you because you are new, just retaliating to being shouted at.
when you post on here you have to accept that others will have different views, and you have to take them with a pinch of salt.
Anyway, welcome to to forum, have fun and don't shout! lol
wink.gif
grin.gif

K9Wendy

Visit site
Pony Club... child needs to join the Pony Club, they teach so much from basic stable management right up to championshipp riding. If livering on a good yard there will be plenty of people to advise including hopefully a good YO.

By all means suggest perhaps the BHS owners certificate, but not a course at an Ag college. At 13yrs old she is capable of doing all the hard work herself, there is nothing like learning on the job! As for emergancy situations for the horse, illness & such like hopefully the first person called will be the vet anyway, good YO's are worth their weight in gold too.

Once she gets a horse all involved should realise that is not when the lessons stop but really start, so many people (and certainly in my day) thought that was the case. Help them work out what it will cost financially to keep horse inc everything they may not have thought off.

Good luck, I think you can help them a lot and guide them through this, rather they had an experienced person than going it alone...

Skhosu

Visit site
When I got my first pony we kept him at a local riding school, and we hated it! IT did mean there was someone else responsible for it, but they were not necessarily involving us in anything (what he was fed, when he got shod/vaccinated) and whilst it was nice to have a bit of back up, I much prefer keeping them at home.
I rode for 8 years at the riding school, got a pony at age 11. Parents had limited horsey knowledge.
At 13, we moved house to our own land. There was 3 of us (16, 14 and 12) and no experienced back up. We run our own yard, went o PC and have never had any problems.
In saying that, I am mainly responsible for the horses welfard, deal with any vet issues (am now 17) and always have really becaus eI read alot.
I think if they have a thirst for learning and ideally kept on maybe part livery at first, there should be no problems.
I don't think the parents need much knowledge, other than it's expensive!

seza

Visit site
At her age she can take some responsibilty for the care of a pony. I had my first one at 11 and my parents neither knew nor cared anything about horses. The ponies were well looked after - nothing major happened and we all lived to tell the tale. I think there is a lot of rubbish talked about certificates etc as no certificate will take the place of experience. Horses have been a joy to me all my life and if I had waited until my parents knew anything then I would never have owned one. I hope she finds a really nice pony and has half as much fun as I have had.

Cobnut1

Visit site
I know someone who has a pony that needs a rider.... so just need to get in touch with them and see if they will accept a loan for the winter and that will let her gain some experience of looking after a pony!