1X honking horse (very strong!!)

.x.Lauren.x.

Visit site
Hello,

Basically, My boyfriend has gotten in to riding and got his own horse not long ago, to start hunting on. She went out for the first time on boxing day and was as good as gold but was so strong! She is strong during general hacking and jumping aswell- not in a nasty way but just likes to go!

We have had her in a Dutch gag and a flash and then a grackle and finally in a Pelham (she really didn't like the Pelham and threw her head right up when any pressure was put on the bit)

She has a really deep head carriage and so when we use the gag it just encourages her to bring her head under more and set her neck (she is 17.2hh with a big chunky neck so is a lot to hold back!) so I was just wondering what else is out there that can work more on her tongue? Someone suggested a dr Bristol but I wasnt sure how strong this was?

Any help would be great, thanks! X

ThePony

Visit site
I would get some lessons so that your bf can learn how effective his body position is, learn to soften her if she likes to set her neck, ask her to bring her head up and to get the mare responsive to the aids. From there I would see what bit would help with the input from your instructor.

Just bitting up (and up and up!) without attending to the schooling will just leave you running out of options, and the possibility of a horse that learns to run through anything in its mouth without responding to the aid. Not fun!

quirky

Visit site
Agree that lessons would be beneficial.

I wouldn't be going for stronger bits, I think you'll just be creating more problems for youself. I'd try and keep it basic.
How about a Waterford baucher?

ArabianGold

Just around the corner, take a left follow the roa
Visit site
I have my mare in a snaffle and she is very strong.

I had a friend come ride her the other day (who has a pony of her own) and she ended up cantering around and around the school, shouting at me your B***** horse has no breaks.

Yet when I ride her she responds well to my seat and aids. If you get the advice (as I did from an instructor) your hands back up your aids..

Whisper listens well to me now, yes we have the odd times where she want's to have a wizz around and it takes a few mins longer than normal to get her to listen but 8/10 times she steady's fine.

I take her out hacking with people cantering off in front, endurance riding and hopefully we will be hunting next season and I hope to do it all in a snaffle.

Good luck with your horse but I must agree with above instructor advice is a bonus instead of bitting stronger and stronger.

Adios

.x.Lauren.x.

Visit site
Yeh I think you're right :) I am always hesitant to just stick stronger and Stronger bits in and I think because she's not doing it nastily it's just a case of the getting to understand each other!

Gilbey

Visit site
Have you had both her teeth and back checked out? I love pelhams and if your horse was evading it, it sounds like your BF's hand are not in the correct position. So I fully endorse lessons but do have teeth and back done to eliminate those first.

Gilbey

Visit site
Oh yes, check for wolf teeth too. If you have a decent horse vet they might be able to advise a bit for your horse's mouth. :)

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Hunting is not like riding in the school. Nearly every horse reacts differently, and if your OH need brakes, then you DO need a different bitting/noseband arrangement that suits both the horse and your OH.

Schooling is NOT going to help although lessons may be worthwhile - particularly trying to get him to feel when the horse is getting strong and react accordingly. Learning the basics of half halting and release may be enough to do the trick, but if the horse is not respecting the current combination of bit and noseband, then try something else.

.x.Lauren.x.

Visit site
We have had her teeth and backed checked and everything is fine. I have ridden her out on a hack a few times (I've been riding much longer and hunt my 17.3hh warmblood so I'm used to big horses) and I can honestly say I have never sat on anything so strong! I tried every trick in the book but it was like her mouth was completely numb to the bit! She stopped in the end but it took a while...

We have put her back in her dutch gag on the middle ring which has stopped the head throwing- we decided it was better for her to be stronger than throwing her head up and unseating him! Last time we had her on the bottom ring for the first time, she threw a paddy in the field and hasn't done it since so we were abit reluctant to put her back on the bottom ring.

Nevertheless, they did go hunting on boxing day and it was both of their first times and it was great! Only thing she did was canter off from the ride on a few occassions when we were stood still though (she doesn't like standing and waiting around) but other than that they did cope in that bit, it just wasnt very enjoyable having to hold her back all the time!

sprite1978

Visit site
I would say use th weakest bit possible on a day to day basis and use the strong bits when needed. (eg Hunting). Its amazing how quick a horse can find a way to resist the strongest of bit when they are used to it. Saving it for the special occasions can catch them unaware and make them behave.

hessy12

Visit site
I've no suggestions re. bit, but in my experience, the more a horse hunts, it soon learns to accept the standing around. If not, then bore the horse to tears by taking her cubbing, with all that standing around she 'll soon learn it's bot that exciting. That'll have to wait til August though.
I hope you manage to install some breaks, but I am pleased to hear both BF and mare enjoyed the Boxing day meet.

Annagain

Visit site
Some horses just get too excited when hunting, I know a few (including mine) who just can't be allowed to go as it blows their brains.

Where are you based? One of mine is very very strong and I had a lesson with a guy called Mark Smith who runs clinics called "Hold your Horses". He was absolutely fabulous and by the end of the lesson I was cantering round the field giving away my reins and stopping by just changing my body position. I can't recommend him enough. He's in Wiltshire, but does travel within reason if you pay his expenses. I don't have his details as a friend organised it, but I'm sure you could google him.

It's not an overnight fix though, my horse is still incredibly strong in company but with lots of practice, we're starting to have less of a battle when I want to stop him and all the cantering has improved his flatwork too!