2 for 1 - Gatcombe and Dauntsey with an Impy and Sarnie update also thrown in!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I am a bit behind so prepare for a mamouth post! Having 3 to ride (4 for a while) as well as a full time job is rather time consuming and when I am not busy I am knackered! ;);)

Firstly Pippa at Gatcombe (that seems ages ago!). I thought on the day she wasn't 100% in herself and I am pretty sure this was the case. Nothing major just lacking a little sparkle meaning everything was a bit average. 36 dressage 2 down show jumping. the fences we had were my fault for hooking but at that the same time she wasn't really travelling like she usually does.

DSC_0141.jpg

Cross country walked quite nicely but caused a few problems. She jumped superbly and made it feel very tiny. The only dodgy moment came at the trekanner where I was keen to see a good forward stride, I waited for it and waited and waited............. and yes ended up nearly in the bottom luckily Pip's just popped it - pleased I have taught her to develop 'the incompetent rider copping mechanism' :cool: 4.4 time so very pleased

[youtube]u8n8d0huJ5c[/youtube]

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg

DSC_0194-1.jpg

So onto Dauntsey which as well as an event doubled as a holiday! I do the H&S for the event as well as other jobs throughout the weekend. Have to admit it was my first time on lorry parking and there were some mighty crooked lines :rolleyes:

I may have slightly lost my mo jo in the dressage (if I ever had any :eek: ) Just trying to focus on a softer arm and hand and ended up letting the energy and engagement go :confused: just can't win! Score of 36 and actually pics looked quite good (who says the camera never lies ;) )

DSC_0045.jpg

Show jumping was hugely better than Gatcombe and back to our normal selves. Unfortunately another jockey mistake going into the treble and we just rubbed it going in.

DSC_0166-1.jpg

The ground was a bit wet in places cross country and I had to decide whether to go flat out in order to be in contention for a minor place or give her an easy ride. She has done some great rounds and I saw no point rushing her on the day so we cruised round, over a minute over the time. However I had a double handful the whole way round and she made it feel v v easy. The only minor mishap was at the corner at 13 (had to be didn't it :rolleyes: ) where she jumped slightly right hit the corner and pecked on landing, luckily I had remembered to sit up and we got away with that mistake.

DSC_0268.jpg

DSC_02832.jpg

I guess for my competitive nature these were 2 very average results but she is feeling v ready for Intermediate now so we are aiming at Gatcombe in the Spring for our début at this level. Only one event left the novice at Larkhill in a week. As it was nearly exactly a year ago I smashed my hip up and was initially told I wouldn't ride for maybe 2 years so we haven't done too bad! :D

You may remember in my last report I introduced Impy (diverted from Measles in Scotland to Cornwall as Andy doesn't want an eventer to produce :p). Well as we stable on site at Dauntsey I managed to snaffle an extra stable and take Impy for the experience. (Health and safety checks on horseback ;) )

All I can say is she has the most amazing temperament, nothing phases her including out hacking where we met buses, lorries and a Intercity train :eek: She settled in the strange stable as if a seasoned traveller and her first experience of a BE event was very positive. She wandered round the lorry on a loose rein

DSC_0195.jpg

I used the on site school to do a bit of jumping and she is very athletic, careful and bold

aDSC_0152.jpg

On the Sunday when the show jumping had finished I was allowed into the show jumping arena to pop the spooky fillers which was great fun.

Snapshot102-10-201212-23.png

We stayed an extra day and did some cross country on the Monday. To be honest Dauntsey lacked really baby jumps for a v green 4 year old but we did pop some of the v straightforward BE90 ones.

Snapshot101-10-201218-34.png

Snapshot301-10-201218-38.png

Bit wary of what monster is in this!

Snapshot201-10-201218-38.png

She is a real star in the making. Hoping to take her to her first SJ competition this weekend and then for a XC clinic with Caroline Creighton on Wednesday. Having great fun with her and certainly won't be sorry if she doesn't sell for a while :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Onto the most important news! Nearly a year after she was last ridden Sarnie is back in proper work (well nearly 4 weeks into her roadwork) and all seems fine. So fingers crossed I may have 2 at Intermediate level next season :)

DSC_0071.jpg

Last edited:

humblepie

Visit site
Super report, love the Whatley Manor photo and so pleased to someone that rides out in for want of a better phrase non matchy matchy but with the all important hi viz. Really like all your horses and an amazing recovery after your accident.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Super report, love the Whatley Manor photo and so pleased to someone that rides out in for want of a better phrase non matchy matchy but with the all important hi viz. Really like all your horses and an amazing recovery after your accident.

Style has never been my top priority! :D

daveismycat

Visit site
Wow what an update! I have to admit I mainly follow you via FB as I don't come on HHO much anymore, but I enjoyed reading the report and not just looking at the fabulous pictures! You make those novice fences look easy peasy.

Very exciting to look forward to 2013 with two at Intermediate. That sounds expensive!! :D

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Wow what an update! I have to admit I mainly follow you via FB as I don't come on HHO much anymore, but I enjoyed reading the report and not just looking at the fabulous pictures! You make those novice fences look easy peasy.

Very exciting to look forward to 2013 with two at Intermediate. That sounds expensive!! :D

Pips does make them feel small! Trying not to think of the expense particularly as I need to sort a saddle or 2 out for Pip's. She is currently doing all phases in an old GP which only fits with pads! Think we might need something a bit better for Intermediate.

I guess the real reason I can't keep Impy :(

JGC

Visit site
Fab report, good solid results. Some really nice photos, but my favourite is the Impy monster-avoiding one :D

Rosiefan

Visit site
Great update S_J. Impy looks to be a lot of fun and fantastic to know Sarnie is standing up to the work so far. Not a bad season at all thinking back to this time last year but please try not to fall off again :) xx

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Yay, Sarnie we've missed you, so bloody stay in work or else there'll be trouble. Pips is not such a pipsqueak these days, and impy looks wonderful! Another one who can't believe it's a year since you fell off, I was so gutted for you at the prognosis and now look at you! :D

measles

Visit site
Pippa is making that first sj look very small. Even the solider watching agrees I reckon :D

Impy is turning out to be rather a find, isn't she? A family friend temperament in a talented competition horse body! Looking forward to hearing how she goes at the SJ and XC training.

You'll have great fun next season with Pippa and Sarnie up and going, and fingers crossed the weather holds for the season you deserve after the set backs you've had :)

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Yay, Sarnie we've missed you, so bloody stay in work or else there'll be trouble. Pips is not such a pipsqueak these days, and impy looks wonderful! Another one who can't believe it's a year since you fell off, I was so gutted for you at the prognosis and now look at you! :D

Yep just proves the Dr's are not always right :D

Baydale

Visit site
That's great to hear all your news, I can't keep up with everyone on FB (not enough hours in the day) so have missed what you've been doing and where you've been. :( Tis very exciting that you'll have two intermediate girlies next season. :D

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
That's great to hear all your news, I can't keep up with everyone on FB (not enough hours in the day) so have missed what you've been doing and where you've been. :( Tis very exciting that you'll have two intermediate girlies next season. :D

Hopefully our paths may cross again next year :D