2 horse limit on livery yards

Gingerwitch

Visit site
It might well be to do with arena space - depending on size(s) of your arena(s), yard manager may well be worried about too many people in one place at one time. Having four or five people in one arena at the same time could lead to a council/HSE Covid breach...

Not defending them, but I doubt they're implenting time slots just for the shits and giggles.
Thanks. I agree but so wish they would talk to me. Face it they could have 5 sets of owners demanding access every day, th

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Out of interest how time are they giving people with one horse as to be fair you should be getting 5 times as much time as someone who has one horse.
Those with one are getting 2 hours once a day...... but yard closes at 9pm. I dont want to be there at this time unless its short term. The whole point of full livery is so it's on my schedule and when I can ride or see them it sort of defeats the point as I am now running my life round the ponies..... again so I may as well save a fortune on livery costs and not get to ride, rather than be spending a fortune and not riding. Next week I wont even get yo yard til 6pm.... but could be there in the morn for an hour or do to ride.
Maybe it is me. But I seem to be spending more to do less. I know it's no ones fault we got c 19 but the only other family with multi horses is one with 3, but they all ride and get the same time ad me. Feel like I am going mad as my family say, well it's not for ever and your still getting to go up..... but i am just stressing and rushing and wondering am I bring taken the mick out of. Family next to me....4 people to 1 pony for 2 hours..... me 1 person for 3 hours 5 horses....

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I think downsizing your herd or finding a private rent, maybe with freelance help if you need it, sounds like the way to go.
It was not my life plan to be where I am currently. I should not have taken grub on but my heart over rolled my head
Colin is a bequeathed horse and I feel obliged to keep. This gives me my old Tb, who is going no where and two very special foot prefect horses. Whom I have backed and brought on. One I have had issues with be she is amazing x country now, the other is just perfect. Its like selling family. The only one I am not smitten with us Colin but I feel obliged to my friend whom doted on him.

chaps89

Visit site
I know there have been a few horror threads lately about loans, especially off site. But could you explore it as an option for Colin? Or sell the new one?
It's difficult when it should be a short term problem, especially if a solution is quite permanent like selling.
It's not ideal if you have full livery to ride and you're not doing it and not getting to do the fun bit which is ultimately what you pay for, but I think adjusting what you do with them and taking the pressure off by doing less with them, or even giving one or two a holiday whilst this is going on might be the only option to save your sanity.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I know there have been a few horror threads lately about loans, especially off site. But could you explore it as an option for Colin? Or sell the new one?
It's difficult when it should be a short term problem, especially if a solution is quite permanent like selling.
It's not ideal if you have full livery to ride and you're not doing it and not getting to do the fun bit which is ultimately what you pay for, but I think adjusting what you do with them and taking the pressure off by doing less with them, or even giving one or two a holiday whilst this is going on might be the only option to save your sanity.
Thanks chaps.... I just worry it wont be over for a long time. I keep thinking positively and think when boris does x or y it will relax. But I wonder if the control of the full livery horses kind of suits the yard ,? I so hope this is not the case, but if I am disruptive in the turning out etc because I am riding could this be a reason? I have turned out the ridden ones and thus did not suit Sony left them in but this also did not suit. Arghhhhhh

SO1

Visit site
It does not seem fair that a person with one horse can have two hours on the yard and you can only get three hours a day for five horses.

I think perhaps a chat with yard owner explaining you are struggling to find the time to ride 5 horses in three hours and that if people with one horse can come for two hours day that is does not make sense that you get only one more hour to exercise 4 extra horses and perhaps ask about the logic around giving you only three hours to exercise 5 horses when others get 2 hours to exercise one. Obviously there is the risk that questioning Yo actions may irritate YO and she may ask you to leave especially if there is a waiting list and you have not been at the yard that long.

Visit site
I have one horse on a large livery yard. Large numbers of horses are a financial risk for yard owners. The worst thing is not people leaving it is people stopping paying and leaving the lame/old horse on the yard, this has happened several times. Yard is very fussy about who they take on and has a waiting list

Lady2021

Visit site
I can see both side I think 5 horses are great if you have your own stable at home or rant a yard. if you have to use a livery yard then It’s not it’s really workable . That rule is extremely common where i live most livery yard won’t let you have any more than 2 to 3 horses per person.

teapot

Visit site
Thanks. I agree but so wish they would talk to me. Face it they could have 5 sets of owners demanding access every day, they just have me lol

Lack of comms is just poor management. Have you asked them outright and explained situ? If someone asked us we'd try and be flexible rules allowing, though should be easier from the 8th!

Leandy

Visit site
No I have never come across that rule OP and I have often had 3 horses to find accomodation for. Numbers has never been an issue except in regards to finding enough spaces at once for a move. It is also common in my area for yards to rent our a portion of the yard or block of stables for one owner although you may find notice periods longer/deposits larger than a straight livery arrangement (for the reasons mentioned above). My best arrangements have always been to hire a block of stables and use of facilities and also hire my own freelance groom. Then you are in control and not at the whim of livery owners in day to day management.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
No I have never come across that rule OP and I have often had 3 horses to find accomodation for. Numbers has never been an issue except in regards to finding enough spaces at once for a move. It is also common in my area for yards to rent our a portion of the yard or block of stables for one owner although you may find notice periods longer/deposits larger than a straight livery arrangement (for the reasons mentioned above). My best arrangements have always been to hire a block of stables and use of facilities and also hire my own freelance groom. Then you are in control and not at the whim of livery owners in day to day management.
I have just enquired about a block of stables. Thanks for the idea xx