2 horse limit on livery yards

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Due to c 19 restrictions and access being limited to a 3 hour slot for 5 horses (which work dependant is more like 2 and a half hours) I am looking elsewhere...... found a fab yard with 2 spaces coming up. 1 due to pts and owner leaving with her other after pts of her old mare. Ideal set up but they will take two of mine but regardless of spaces have a 2 horse max policy. Gutted.

Anyone else experienced this rule,?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
From a business point of view I can understand it - you wouldn't want one person paying the bill for five horses. If they suddenly left, there's a huge gap in your revenue, with no guarantee of when the hole would be plugged.
I can see that but if yard does what it says it does then it would not be an issue as I would not move lol x

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
From a business point of view, it's good financial planning. You wouldn't want one person paying the bill for five horses. If they suddenly left, there would be a huge gap in the revenue, with no guarantee of when the hole would be plugged.
This

I was also on a yard once where the YO didn't want one person to dominate the yard by taking up loads of the boxes.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Having horses on different yards is horrendous, even if they’re quite close to one another. Any chance you could rent a private set up?

SO1

Visit site
They don't know that though as you could win the lottery and get your own place, or something awful happen to you such as pass away, or you could decide to move to another part of the country.

If it a small yard I can see the concern as the loss of 5 horses at the same time could be a major blow in terms of income.

I don't know of any yards that have that limit though I imagine hard to find a decent place with space for 5 horses.

I can see that but if yard does what it says it does then it would not be an issue as I would not move lol x

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
This

I was also on a yard once where the YO didn't want one person to dominate the yard by taking up loads of the boxes.

We had this situation-2 different yards, they both thought they were in charge. I left one yard and the multiple horse owner left my current yard, thank god, she was a total pita (not that I’m saying Gingerwitch would be, I don’t know her at all!)

teapot

Visit site

You're assuming people only move for yard related reasons. Life doesn't work like that. Change of job, circumstances, finances, loses three due to old age, so moves to a diff yard closer to home that only takes two as wasn't previously an option etc etc.

Livery yards are run on such tight margins I can 100% understand a max two horse rule. Always wonder if liveries truly understand what's on the outgoings part of a cashflow spreadsheet...

Gingerwitch

Visit site
You're assuming people only move for yard related reasons. Life doesn't work like that. Change of job, circumstances, finances, loses three due to old age, so moves to a diff yard closer to home that only takes two as wasn't previously an option etc etc.

Livery yards are run on such tight margins I can 100% understand a max two horse rule. Always wonder if liveries truly understand what's on the outgoings part of a cashflow spreadsheet...
No I move a lot due to work. But I give loads of notice when relocating to yard and work with them. If the yard becomes wa welfare issue then sorry its tough on them. I cannot exercise adequately 5 horses although one is being ridden by someone else in 2 and a half hours, it's a ridiculas time slot

Gingerwitch

Visit site
We had this situation-2 different yards, they both thought they were in charge. I left one yard and the multiple horse owner left my current yard, thank god, she was a total pita (not that I’m saying Gingerwitch would be, I don’t know her at all!)
All 8 want is access to ride and turnnout and horses not to be beaten up. Not much to ask or is it lol x

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Having horses on different yards is horrendous, even if they’re quite close to one another. Any chance you could rent a private set up?
This might be best but also difficult to find if OP has to move around for work.
My gang are in 3 different places, it's tedious

teapot

Visit site
No I move a lot due to work. But I give loads of notice when relocating to yard and work with them. If the yard becomes wa welfare issue then sorry its tough on them. I cannot exercise adequately 5 horses although one is being ridden by someone else in 2 and a half hours, it's a ridiculas time slot

It's not about welfare - livery yards don't make money on the livery they charge, and a yard losing 5 x an income in one go could have consequences when it came to paying bills, staff etc. Even with the best business management in the world, very very few yards would have a spare few thousand in the back to plug a gap like that.

I can understand why it's frustrating for you but livery yards have to look out for everyone - other liveries and their own business.

SO1

Visit site
If it is a good yard even if they would accept all five if there is space it might take a while for the extra 3 spaces to come available.

How many boxes on the yard?

McFluff

Visit site
Can you hire a private yard and a freelancer to help?
Or, would your current yard give you more time if they knew you are seriously considering moving ?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
This might be best but also difficult to find if OP has to move around for work.
My gang are in 3 different places, it's tedious

That would kill me. One yard, TB mare, was 15 minutes away from second yard, Holsteiner, handily round the corner from work. I moved both to a yard 10 minutes from work but didn’t last, too BSJA for me and when the warmblood was pts, broken shoulder, and I bought a cob, omg, the comments! ?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Can you hire a private yard and a freelancer to help?
Or, would your current yard give you more time if they knew you are seriously considering moving ?
I was doing mornings for 3hours and nights for 2 and a half. But staff don't want to handle my horses if I have touched them within the last 2 hours and I dont have time to ride then turnout. If I I turnout it's too early and mine stress as they are in different field groups plus I pay for full livery.

SO1

Visit site
Ok so quite a big yard, but it is still a risk for them if you leave, and you don't know till you get there it if you will like or not so you can't really promise them you will give an extended notice period if you want to leave to mitigate the risk and enable them to have more time to fill the spaces.

They don't know you, it is not like you are a livery who has been there for ages and then bought some extra horses. Maybe if you took the two horses there and you liked it and they got to know you then they might be willing to take the others if there was space.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
It won’t be long before riding schools will be allowed to re open and when they start trading again, all be it, in a controlled fashion, you should see livery yards relaxing rules, trainers coming back in and dressage competition start again.

McFluff

Visit site
I was doing mornings for 3hours and nights for 2 and a half. But staff don't want to handle my horses if I have touched them within the last 2 hours and I dont have time to ride then turnout. If I I turnout it's too early and mine stress as they are in different field groups plus I pay for full livery.

Gosh. Feels like a strange rule. At my full livery yard we’ve all just provided second headcollars, wear gloves and use hand sanitizer. That should make it safe to handle your horse after you. You must be a lot of income for them. They need to try harder. Appreciate That doesn’t really help you though. Hope things ease soon.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I suppose if its their rules and they dont suit you, you just find another yard. It might be difficult to find a yard to take 5 horses though
Trust me I was at 3. My friend died and left me a horse. I then got involved with a horse who really needed help and a lot if time and I am back to 5...... I should wear a horse hair vest and whip myself each day it would be less painful lol x

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Gosh. Feels like a strange rule. At my full livery yard we’ve all just provided second headcollars, wear gloves and use hand sanitizer. That should make it safe to handle your horse after you. You must be a lot of income for them. They need to try harder. Appreciate That doesn’t really help you though. Hope things ease soon.
We have a massive shortage of livery with wintet turn out in the local area..... so looking after liveries is not top on the list....as there is a lot on the wait list....so its very much if you dont like it then leave until they are virtually empty usually around June thdn its all sweet ness and helpfulness.

SO1

Visit site
Their reasoning does not make sense.

Two hours is not long enough if they are worried about touching surfaces that you have touched, I presume they have to touch the stable doors to get into your stables and most bolts are metal and the virus can live on metal for up to 5 days, so unless they are spraying the doors bolts before touching them there is little point waiting for 2 hours before changing your horses rugs and using the head collars etc as they then have to touch the bolts on the doors.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/how-long-covid-19-lives-on-surfaces

If they are worried about touching things you have touched perhaps you could buy them a box of disposable gloves which they can put on to do your horses rugs and turn out etc. They are not expensive.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/cleangrip-latex-powdered-disposable-gloves-blue-large-100-pack/56137

Hi sol. If I don't go up they dont have an issue as if was 8 or 9pm when I last touched them......its if I ride at 5 or 6am then they rug etc at 7 am.....

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Their reasoning does not make sense.

Two hours is not long enough if they are worried about touching surfaces that you have touched, I presume they have to touch the stable doors to get into your stables and most bolts are metal and the virus can live on metal for up to 5 days, so unless they are spraying the doors bolts before touching them there is little point waiting for 2 hours before changing your horses rugs and using the head collars etc as they then have to touch the bolts on the doors.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/how-long-covid-19-lives-on-surfaces
They use there own head collars. I wear gloves. I am so at a loss but this is the recent rule change. I think the insurance assessor from nfu has said something as day after the arrived all thses new rules and into force.