2 horse limit on livery yards

SO1

Visit site
In that case then you are probably fighting a losing battle as it may be the insurance won't cover them even though it makes no sense if the doors are still being touched without being sprayed and they are not wearing gloves.

I could understand if they were worried about aerosol and not wanting to go into the stable for two hours after you had been in there so it could ventilate but the touching thing makes no sense as two hours not long enough to get rido of the virus and it could be mitigated if you wear gloves and they could also wear disposable gloves, though appreciate that would an extra cost to them if they had to change gloves every time they handled a horse.

They use there own head collars. I wear gloves. I am so at a loss but this is the recent rule change. I think the insurance assessor from nfu has said something as day after the arrived all thses new rules and into force.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
It won’t be long before riding schools will be allowed to re open and when they start trading again, all be it, in a controlled fashion, you should see livery yards relaxing rules, trainers coming back in and dressage competition start again.
I hope so but trainers are allowed on the yard..... onrctrainwf us allowed on longer than I am on a day and I am the paying livery lol x

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Surely restrictions will be being lifted soon?!? Did you like the yard before the new rules? Maybe worth trying to grin and bear for a bit if you did. Would hate to be moving anywhere at the moment ?
Yard was excellent but an hour from home.... so a 9pm yard finish is a 9.45 to 10pm home. Riding of schooling and if lunging am meant a 8pm home. Other half is a decent bloke but he us not happy cooking his tea every night and leaves home at 5am fir work so this recent rule enforcement is causing issues. I also have the daily figures to collate for work and Its too late to do at night and md wants them for 5am arghhhhhh

SEL

Visit site
Our yard is with NFU and we have nothing ridiculous - just common sense and hand washing. Is 5 horses a large % of the boxes at your current yard? Would threatening to leave help focus their minds at all?

maya2008

Visit site
Own place and a reliable freelancer is the way to go. Once I was at 3 horses we started to look for our own place. Found one where we used to live by extensively trawling the internet. After we moved, had them on land connected to a friend’s private yard, then when that land was sold, advertised in all the ‘normal’ (not horsey) local fb groups. Found our current set-up that way. Couldn’t be back on a yard now, even if I could find one with 5 spaces!

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Our yard is with NFU and we have nothing ridiculous - just common sense and hand washing. Is 5 horses a large % of the boxes at your current yard? Would threatening to leave help focus their minds at all?
It's a 35 ish box yard. Problem with threatening is they have a wait list as we turn out every day with few exceptions ie very bad ice. So unless you have a place to go Its Russian roulette as you dont know the outcome. Could end up with 5 on different yards. Something has happened as they were not like this until a couple of weeks ago. It was all very sensible. So bit bemused.

indie1282

Visit site
Are all 5 on full livery? I seem to recall that you are on full. And do they all need to be ridden every day?

Can you not just go up in the evenings to do them?

chocolategirl

Visit site
Due to c 19 restrictions and access being limited to a 3 hour slot for 5 horses (which work dependant is more like 2 and a half hours) I am looking elsewhere...... found a fab yard with 2 spaces coming up. 1 due to pts and owner leaving with her other after pts of her old mare. Ideal set up but they will take two of mine but regardless of spaces have a 2 horse max policy. Gutted.

Anyone else experienced this rule,?
I have this rule on my yard. It’s because I don’t want the ‘problem’ of having to fill too many spaces if someone leaves with multiple horses ?‍♀️ Tbf, it no longer applies as I’m winding down now so no more liveries for me ?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Do you really need 5 horses? Horse owning is meant to be a pleasure you make yours sound like a chore
I was happy with 3, then left a horse which I am struggling ethically to sell. Had agreed that grubs owner was going to have the free horse on long term loan. So I bought grub... yep she then handed the free one back as soon as the cheque had cleared.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Two sounds pretty low, but I guess the owners have a reason for it and have probably been burned in the past.

I know at the yard Blue is at, they had one owner leave with three horses just before I came (due to personal circumstances, not because she was unhappy with the yard). It took the YO a few months to get all the spaces filled- it would be even worse for him if someone had left with 5 horses.

If you're new to the yard, they also don't know if you're reliable payer etc or not- an unreliable payer with lots of horses could be a real issue for the yard.

ETA: I hope you find a solution, though OP- it all sounds very tricky.

Last edited:

Starzaan

Visit site
As a yard owner I can totally understand this. I got stung once when I had a client who had ten horses with me. The day they left I lost a HUGE chunk of my revenue all in one go. I would never, ever do that again!

Gingerwitch

Visit site
As a yard owner I can totally understand this. I got stung once when I had a client who had ten horses with me. The day they left I lost a HUGE chunk of my revenue all in one go. I would never, ever do that again!
Wow I can sympathize with this but I am sure you would not have implemented a ridiculas time slot for a multi horse owner as i have been given. I think I may have a solution I have found a new yard that is opening up in may.... so either current one will have become more reasonable or new yard which has 8 stables will be running in 3 months. Seeing new yard on monday.

Starzaan

Visit site
Wow I can sympathize with this but I am sure you would not have implemented a ridiculas time slot for a multi horse owner as i have been given. I think I may have a solution I have found a new yard that is opening up in may.... so either current one will have become more reasonable or new yard which has 8 stables will be running in 3 months. Seeing new yard on monday.
Yep, I definitely wouldn't have put together a time slot like that. I do feel for you! Hopefully you find somewhere fabulous :)

indie1282

Visit site
I try to lunge one, hack one and school one. Groom one and one gets hooves and a quick flick over. But it's just so stressful as I am rushing all the time.

Can you ride and lead? Then a quick lunge for the other. I wouldn't bother grooming the other 2 tbh, that should cut down time and should be easy attainable in 3 hours.

It may not be ideal but it would be fine on the short term until restrictions are lifted.

teapot

Visit site

It might well be to do with arena space - depending on size(s) of your arena(s), yard manager may well be worried about too many people in one place at one time. Having four or five people in one arena at the same time could lead to a council/HSE Covid breach...

Not defending them, but I doubt they're implenting time slots just for the shits and giggles.

Griffin

Visit site
I haven't come across that rule before but I can understand it, as other posters have said, in terms of revenue.

I do understand wanting to move though if restrictions are making life with your horses impossible, especially with five. Also, I have cared for two horses on separate yards (30 minute drive) and two at opposite ends of the same yard, it is a pain!

I expect you already have done but have you considered renting a yard yourself and getting a freelancer in to help?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Thanks all.
I just wish yard had spoken to me and said this is the reason and its going to be like this until x happens. I know something must have happened as they have always been great. But the shutters have gone down. Unless you can communicate nothing will resolve.
I think you have given some excellent points here but I do get a bit OCD and once I start something I gave to finish.
Maybe if horses are all worked on sat and suns and I try to do 2 a day in the week ?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
It might well be to do with arena space - depending on size(s) of your arena(s), yard manager may well be worried about too many people in one place at one time. Having four or five people in one arena at the same time could lead to a council/HSE Covid breach...

Not defending them, but I doubt they're implenting time slots just for the shits and giggles.
Thanks. I agree but so wish they would talk to me. Face it they could have 5 sets of owners demanding access every day, they just have me lol