2 people, 2 horses, turning out - question

Fools Motto

Visit site
If there are 2 of you, one horse each, do you make sure the other is ok to let go and release at the same time
or do you just let go as and when it is convenient to you? and hoping (or not thinking) that the other person is ready?

And do you close the gate before letting lose, or just let them go as you walk in?

I've had a few issues today with turning out 2 yearlings, and I don't want to have a go at my fellow worker if I think I may be in the minority (or in the wrong?)

tonitot

Visit site
I close the gate before letting go, turn them towards the fence/gate and make sure the other person/people are ready to let go before I let go of my horse. I've been dragged across fields too many times by racehorses when people have let their horse go before I'm ready and it's not nice.

tubby1

Visit site
I would always shut the gate then check that we were both ready to let go. Much safer and only polite in my opinion. Safety should always be a priority.

TallyHo123

Visit site
I close the gate before letting go, turn them towards the fence/gate and make sure the other person/people are ready to let go before I let go of my horse. I've been dragged across fields too many times by racehorses when people have let their horse go before I'm ready and it's not nice.

Ditto this! Had my armed yarked out far too many times. If your worried make a plan before you go up with the other person.

SillySausage

Visit site
Shut the gate behind us (but it's on a slope downhill so when we let it go it shuts itself as such). Then turn the horses in facing the gateway (i don't want to be in the way of flying back legs when they're let go...), and let go when everyone is ready on an 'ok'.

Still bearing the damage from being dragged when one got away before the other and wouldn't wish it again.

Kaylum

Visit site
As above

Shut gate, turn them towards the gate, have a few pony nuts in your hands and if possible let them stand for a minute checking out the pony nuts and release without fuss and dont shew them away once you have let them go.

jennywren07

Visit site
depends on the horses, when i turn out my mare with my friend and her gelding whoevers through the gate first just lets go as neither have ever charged off or are they type too (plus both live out)

When turning out at work with my boss the mares is whoevers ready first but the boys we wait and check the other is ready as they tend to have a good old hooly. That said we o it this was because we know the horses so well. If it was unknown/new horses i'd always check the other person was ready/ok for me to release

eta: always shut the gate as don't fancy chasing them round the lanes/ other fields

Fools Motto

Visit site
From these few replies, I'm clearly not wrong, just makes me cross something 'so simple' when done wrong, makes things so hard, and me cross (and hurt).

tonitot

Visit site
Just to add .. Someone at work was turning out a filly (fillies go in a big field together) and win they went to undo the headcollar the horse shot off. The pin on the buckle of the headcollar dug into her thumb and then ripped up as the horse pulled away. I can't remember if the horse shot off because someone else let go too soon or if she was just being a cow (she was a bit of a tit to turn out) but still, that's just one thing that could happen :/

Kaylum

Visit site
From these few replies, I'm clearly not wrong, just makes me cross something 'so simple' when done wrong, makes things so hard, and me cross (and hurt).

Its sometimes a split second of something not going right can make a situation into a drama. I know been there many times.

Niddlynoo

Visit site
I thought it was basic manners to check other people are ready before you let them go. I always turn round to shut gate, have a chat and rub my boys head (and sometimes a sweetie - shush!) as he used to gallop off taking everyone else off on a stampede round the field. Not good if some people are still unding headcollars!

Fools Motto

Visit site
We use slip lines, so don't actually have to undo anything, just release one half of the slip AT THE SAME TIME. I walked into the field with my filly, other person following with theirs. I go to the end of the open gate to push it shut, but before I've even done that, my co-worker had just walked into the field and 'opps, let go', so mine goes (luckily not into me and didn't kick up at me), I realise I have to let go of half my slip line, keeping hold of the other half so it runs free from her headcollar, I do so, but in everyones haste, it catches my finger nail and pulls. I now think my finger nail will fall off! Its a minor minor injury, but so painful! (it has made me very grumpy, my kids know they have to be on best behaviour!) and btw - the gate was still wide open.
This is not the first time that co worker has let go of her steeds causing all chaos to happen in the wake, so for that reason I should have been more aware. However, technically she has more experience, been doing this job far longer than me!

DosyMare

Visit site
I turn out both my boys at the same time - always turn them around and close the gate. I usually decide then which horse is more relaxed and then do the quieter one first.

If my non horsey partner leads one up the field I do the same with the gate but due to his inexperience I make sure he has the head collar off before me.

I think common sense has a lot to do with each situation.