2 recent trailer crashes where horses survived....

EstherYoung

Visit site
One was definitely an Ifor and I think the other may have been too (although it was pretty unrecognisable). It does look like they just fell to bits which was a plus point in the type of accident that these were, but it wouldn't have helped if another vehicle had been involved.

Frumpoon

Visit site
No I suppose that's right, they both rolled and ended up on their topside....I'd love to know if any trailer has been crash tested for a rear or side on impact....that's the trailer I'd spend a lot of money on :)

Baileyhoss

Visit site
I read comments written by the owners that they put the horses survival down to the robustness of the ifor trailers. Both detached from the vehicles, on one the tow bar on the discovery failed/fell off! The trailers were not the cause of the accidents. The images of the trailers 'fallen to bits' may well have been taken after the fire services had cut the horses free.

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
I don't know about the incidents being referred to, they sound awful, but I have seen the aftermath of a horrific accident involving a Fautras trailer carrying two horses - they were on the motorway and were cut up by a foreign left-hand-drive lorry, which resulted in the trailer being hit and turning over, which in turn flipped the tow car over.
I saw the trailer after it was recovered, completely bashed and scraped all over but it had remained intact and therefore protected the horses which escaped with no more than minor cuts.

The owner of the yard it was recovered to, who repairs and services all makes of trailer, said if his horses ever had to be in an accident he would hope they were in a Fautras, hence why I bought one!

Last edited:

Suechoccy

Visit site
The brood mares trailer was an Ifor. The owner's report said the metal framework acted as a rollcage and protected her horses. The photos only show a different story because those photos are taken after the fire brigade have cut the metalwork to release the trapped horse.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Any update on the brood mares ? Saw it on fb, one of them was due to foal at any time now. I know they were ok, as well as one could be after such a horrific accident. Praying they're ok.

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
My friends horse was killed in an Ivor Williams. She was cut up and had to brake, the trailer snaked and her horse panicked reared up braking free and turning. He jumped out the rear onto the motorway
I hate trailers