2 ring Dutch Gag with happy mouth and peanut link lozenge

willowtreemum

Visit site
Just been given yet another 'hand me down' bit to try and this one looks promising!

Just a quicky about whether or not you all think i should use 2 reins on this and if so am i right in putting a martingale on the snaffle rein?

Also would i be able to use a curb on this bit?

Sorry for all the questions...only ever used one rein on a gag but i'm open to ideas / opinions as my old thumb injury seems to be holding it's own lately (maybe i'm not as old as i thought eh!!!!!!!)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yes dutch gags should be used with two reigns and (I think a curb strap - definately not a chain).

If you need to use something with a curb chain have you considered a Kimblewick or Pelham??

RunToEarth

Visit site
Martingale should be put on snaffle rein, although manythink otherwise. If you are an able rider in two reins then yes use two. Leather curbs can still be used on two ring I think...

Frazer

Visit site
Yes ride in two reins, but only for someone who can ride with two reins, or isn't a novice. I have never seen or heard that you can use a curb, maybe talk to your local tack shop and ask them if they think it is suitale.

Marilyn

Visit site
IMO if you are a novice and can't ride with two reins then you shouldn't be using a gag. I'm sorry but I see far too many people with too much metal in their horse's mouth and they have not idea of what it can do and the damage it can cause

EllieBeast

Visit site
There are instances (such as xc) when two reins arent practical, can be dangerous if the reins cannot be gathered in time for a turn etc. i see no issue with using roundings on a gag - well i wouldent as i use them. it isnt that i cannot ride in two pairs of reins - i have done so many a time, but i feel that for me, two reins would distract me whilst doing xc.
Sarah xXx

Marilyn

Visit site
But that means that the leverage action will be on the horse's poll when ever you pull the reins, even if it's not required.

Nikiolola

Visit site
I have that exact bit, and use it on the second ring - one rein only - with a curb strap. It works for me and my horse. I ride in it for everything, and she goes beautifully in it all the time.

*crawls into the sinners corner for only using one rein* I keep meaning to try it with 2 - I promise!!!!

helenandshadow

Visit site
I have that bit but without the lozenge. I use one rein on the second ring but you can use two, if you use two reins the martingale should go on the snaffle rein. And I think you can use a curb chain.