2 type of dog owners in veterinarian's waiting room.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Blomma have one less tooth, but I'm a bit proud over that both the veterinarian who checked her before the tooth operation, and the veterinarian who did the operation, said that she have very clean teeth for her age (she's 9 years). But sadly you can tell that her teeth is very well used (she loves gnawing on bones). Anyhow, besides the broken tooth, they only found, and removed, tiny amounts of calculus.

The operating veterinarian also said that Blomma is a very lovely dog, and that you could tell that she is used to having someone "faffing" around in her mouth. I'm glad that my attempts at trying to keep their teeth clean is noticeable.

I also can't resist to mention that yet again I've noticed that there seems to be 2 type of dog owners in veterinarian's waiting room.

When we go in through the doors, my bitches goes straight to the scale. Today both Jonna, and Beata stepped up on it as soon as they came up to it, so I had to tell Beata to go down, and wait on her turn. When they both had been weighted, I told Blomma to get up on the scale. Just like the others, she got up, sat down, and patiently waited for me to praise her, before she was told to go down, and we went to sit down, to wait for the veterinarian.

It goes smoothly, and relatively quickly to weight them all. Even though, sometimes, Jonna tries to sneak back on, and get weighted a second time, before we leave the scale.

Some other owners I've seen through the years seems to be similar to me, and my bitches. They go up to the scale, tells their dog to get up on it, their dogs do as told, gets weighted, and they can go and sit down.

But many seems to be the other type of owners. They start by asking their dog if it wants to go over, and get on the scale. The dog is usually the opposite of enthusiastic over this suggestion.
When they eventually still do gets close to the scale, their dog usually suddenly, quickly tries to walk past the scale. Gets gently persuaded back to the scale, and after several new requests from their owner, they finally decides to place 3 paws on the scale.
However as soon as the fourth paw seems to be going up on the scale, another paw quickly goes off the scale. This one paw always off the scale balett, continues for a while, until the dog accidentally happens to not get one paw off the scale quickly enough, and the owner finally manages to get their weight.

The owner starts praising their dog, and it is usually already about to get off the scale again. But since they now know their dog's weight, they go and sit down.
Sometimes this one paw always off the scale balett, requires the assistance of one or more persons from the staff, to get a weight on the dog.

And I can't help but wonder why they're asking their dog in the first place? If they know that they need to know the weight of their dog, why are they asking it, if it wants to get weighted?
It reminds me of parents who asks their child if it wants to stay at the daycare, even though they know that staying isn't really an option.

Cahill

Visit site
my dogs go and sit on the scales without me hardly asking :)
the vet nurses seem amazed !

i like to keep my dogs fit and am mindful of their weight, especially my rottie (they both compete in agility.)

last visit to the vets we were surrounded by fat dogs :(

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
There is the other side of things, I'm always very keen that my dogs are comfortable being elevated or on unstable surfaces, so now I have to stop mine hurling himself onto the vets table, picnic tables, benches etc.....they always seem impressed he can make it up onto the table in the vets lol.

For me some things are non negotiable....vet visits and being groomed are two of those things. I don't ask, it's just happening.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
There is the other side of things, I'm always very keen that my dogs are comfortable being elevated or on unstable surfaces, so now I have to stop mine hurling himself onto the vets table, picnic tables, benches etc.....they always seem impressed he can make it up onto the table in the vets lol.

ha-I have one of those! I have to keep a close eye on the ****** or he's up on all sorts and then I have to lift him down as dont want him jumping down yet.

the other one, well its taken a little training to get him to get onto stuff-he just didnt know what his legs were for although the scales were always ok. he's fine now, dog parkour is fab training lol I just point at something and tell them how many paws to put on it.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I see two types - those that have well behaved dogs that sit by the owner's side and will happily greet the staff. Then there are the other ones - that come in on a zip lead, twist itself around all the furniture, knock stuff flying, bark at any other dogs, pee up the retail stands and cower from the staff. These dogs are often accompanied by owners who don't mind that their dogs are ASBOs waiting to happen, but will be the first to demand that their dog never be in a crate, that you don't hold it a certain way (while it's being groomed) , and will likely not like anything that you do at all.

Do you think maybe I need a holiday?

PucciNPoni

Visit site
and while we're on the topic of jumping from height - why is that the smaller the dog the higher they think they can survive falling from height?

My poodles are well schooled at staying on tables and not jumping off. I do however often find my agility girl using the picnic table out the back as her own platform for seeing over the fence.

But older boy prefers to stay on the floor, much safer there.

Yet the baby, the toy - if he could (and trust me he does try) he would leap from an adult person's arms from full height! My heart is in my mouth every time I have to lift him for any reason.

He actually has a nickname: ShimmyJimmy. First time I met him was in a carpark where we met the breeder (don't try that at home kids, but fortunately the breeder is very well known to us) where said breeder popped him on the ground so we could watch him move. Off the wee man trotted after the breeder and then turned and trotted to me, and proceeded to run up my leg like a ferret and in to my arms.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I can't remember if I posted a pic but during the heavy snow in 2013, my dog managed to climb on top of his lean to in our exercise run. Nothing so scary as seeing your dog's head popped over the top of a 9ft fence.
He also used to sleep on top of his kennel in his normal run.

Moobli

Visit site
I have two types of dog who are the same breed allegedly!

My working line GSD is bold and confident and will sit happily in the waiting room, get on the scales or vet's table when asked, doesn't mind at all being prodded and poked. He has even had blood taken from his jugular while I just held him without a muzzle etc and he is no bother whatsoever.

I also have a longcoated GSD who is the biggest wimp going. He will sit shaking by my feet in the waiting room and continues to shake and look to all intents and purposes as though he wants the floor to open up and swallow him. He will get on the scales when asked but his poor legs wobble the whole time. He has to be lifted onto the table (although, to be fair, my vet usually sees him on the floor) and I usually muzzle him for anything that is likely to cause him further anxiety as I couldn't predict for certain whether he might bite out of fear. He has never had a bad experience at the vets afaik but I think his genetics predispose him to this kind of behaviour as he is a big scaredy cat in most situations.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I spend eight hours a day sat in a veterinary practice waiting room, I have seen some sights and could probably write a book. :p

.....they always seem impressed he can make it up onto the table in the vets lol.

Big white dog likes to wait until their back is turned to write up notes and spring up, ready to headbutt them when they turn back. Table = BISCUITS.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
I see two types - those that have well behaved dogs that sit by the owner's side and will happily greet the staff. Then there are the other ones - that come in on a zip lead, twist itself around all the furniture, knock stuff flying, bark at any other dogs, pee up the retail stands and cower from the staff. These dogs are often accompanied by owners who don't mind that their dogs are ASBOs waiting to happen, but will be the first to demand that their dog never be in a crate, that you don't hold it a certain way (while it's being groomed) , and will likely not like anything that you do at all.

Do you think maybe I need a holiday?

I'm not sure that one of the persons I saw yesterday, fits completely in either of your 2 types. She was trying to weight what looked like an Am Staff, and she spent several minutes on gently persuading her dog to walk over to the scale, and get it weighted.
The way the owner sounded, almost made me feel as if I wanted to say No to going up on the scale. And I couldn't stop myself from thinking that, if you know that it has to be done, that getting weighted is the only option, then why do you make it sound like an alternative, which your dog can say No to.

But I wouldn't be at all surprised, if she didn't want her dog held in certain ways in the examinating room. She did seem to believe in that you should wait for your dog to voluntarily decide to do as you ask.

Personally, when I take my bitches to the veterinarian, I expect them to mostly accept that I might hold them, and let them be poked and prodded both here and there. And e.g. when I say "Look teeth", they know that it means that I'm going to lift their lips, and do something in their mouth somehow. I feel that knowing that I've decided what they should accept, gives them a certain confidence with the situation.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
I have two types of dog who are the same breed allegedly!

My working line GSD is bold and confident and will sit happily in the waiting room, get on the scales or vet's table when asked, doesn't mind at all being prodded and poked. He has even had blood taken from his jugular while I just held him without a muzzle etc and he is no bother whatsoever.

I also have a longcoated GSD who is the biggest wimp going. He will sit shaking by my feet in the waiting room and continues to shake and look to all intents and purposes as though he wants the floor to open up and swallow him. He will get on the scales when asked but his poor legs wobble the whole time. He has to be lifted onto the table (although, to be fair, my vet usually sees him on the floor) and I usually muzzle him for anything that is likely to cause him further anxiety as I couldn't predict for certain whether he might bite out of fear. He has never had a bad experience at the vets afaik but I think his genetics predispose him to this kind of behaviour as he is a big scaredy cat in most situations.

But your longcoated GSD still sits by your feet in the waiting room, he still gets up on the scale etc. I presume that has to do with how you treat him, and the situation. Imagine if you had been the type of owner who asked him what he wanted to do? I doubt they would even have gotten him in to the waiting room.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
I spend eight hours a day sat in a veterinary practice waiting room, I have seen some sights and could probably write a book. :p

Please, feel free to give us some examples?

By the way, I like the idea about writing a book about it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would probably buy such a book.
k040.gif

Big white dog likes to wait until their back is turned to write up notes and spring up, ready to headbutt them when they turn back. Table = BISCUITS.

:D

v049.gif

Moobli

Visit site
But your longcoated GSD still sits by your feet in the waiting room, he still gets up on the scale etc. I presume that has to do with how you treat him, and the situation. Imagine if you had been the type of owner who asked him what he wanted to do? I doubt they would even have gotten him in to the waiting room.

Ha no, you are right. If it were up to him, he would never leave home! :p

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Sadly I think I'd fall foul of a million client confidentiality regulations and besides, James Herriot did it first and better. We have an actual Mrs Pumphrey and Tricki Woo analogue. :p

Clodagh

Visit site
Last time I went to the vet I took 2 dogs and one lead, I was in a flap. No bother, although Tawny hates the vets, it is her second home, she doesn't need to be held at all.
I hate badly behaved dogs and as mine rarely leave the farm, except for shooting, it is the only place we see them.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i took my 18 week old puppy to the vets today and after greeting everyone with very waggy tail and body i told him(not asked) to get on the scales and sit. bless him he did exactly that and i was very pleased with him as there were other dogs to distract him as well as people. i must admit i did use a treat once he had sat.....

GirlFriday

Visit site
It reminds me of parents who asks their child if it wants to stay at the daycare, even though they know that staying isn't really an option.

I think in an ideal world one ensures that the child is cared for in such a way that they are happy to go to [wherever]. A child knowing they have no choice is not the same as a child being suitably cared for. Similarly a dog can be happy to hop on to things or not. Fortunately mine is - becasue the child trains him! - but really, so what? If the dog and owner are happy and not causing anyone any danger... Mine didn't know a command (that I could figure out anyway) for it when I got him as an adult, he does now, so, no harm done in his previous home?

FinnishLapphund

Visit site

I think in an ideal world one ensures that the child is cared for in such a way that they are happy to go to [wherever]. A child knowing they have no choice is not the same as a child being suitably cared for. Similarly a dog can be happy to hop on to things or not. Fortunately mine is - becasue the child trains him! - but really, so what? If the dog and owner are happy and not causing anyone any danger... Mine didn't know a command (that I could figure out anyway) for it when I got him as an adult, he does now, so, no harm done in his previous home?

Personally, I feel that pretending that there is an option in a situation, when there really isn't, isn't fair neither to pets, nor children. I'm not sure that it is correct to resemble it to lying, but I certainly think that it feels false.

I disliked it before I saw it happen up close, and even more so afterwards. It was many years ago, when we baby sat my oldest nephew, and my brother-in-law came to pick him up. Some days my nephew was playing with something, and wasn't that eager to go home, and my brother-in-law asked "Would you rather stay here?"
To which my nephew answered "Yes!" But my brother-in-law never meant it as a real option, so my nephew still had to leave, and go home. His body language looked as if he felt lied to, made to believe that he had an option, when he hadn't.

I'm not saying that my brother-in-law should just have commanded his son to come, so that they could go home, only that I dislike that he made it sound like an option existed, when he had already decided what was going to happen.

And to use my bitches as an example to try and explain how I'm thinking. When I was cleaning my bitches teeth, I noticed that Blomma had a fracture on one of her P4 molars. I knew that she would need surgery to remove it, and that the veterinarians would want to know her weight before the anaesthetic. So not getting weighted wasn't an option, therefore it would never cross my mind to falsely present the scale to her, as something she had an option about getting up on or not.

I feel that knowing what is expected of them, and knowing that if they do what is expected of them they'll get praised for it, gives them a certain comfort, and confidence in the situation.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
a dog can be happy to hop on to things or not. Fortunately mine is - becasue the child trains him! - but really, so what? If the dog and owner are happy and not causing anyone any danger... Mine didn't know a command (that I could figure out anyway) for it when I got him as an adult, he does now, so, no harm done in his previous home?

But the dog isn't happy. The dogs in FL's example are being allowed to be anxious and cause themselves stress over something that has to happen whether they like it or not. It's not fair, imo, to leave a animal with that stress if some better handling can prevent it.

I'm always reminded of a dog training program I saw with a Westie who was afraid of foot bridges over roads. He just lay down and refused to move and the owner gave up. The trainer dragged the dog for a couple of yards, on its belly, when it got up and trotted happily across the bridge with him. A much happier dog for having a confident human giving him no option.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
But the dog isn't happy. The dogs in FL's example are being allowed to be anxious and cause themselves stress over something that has to happen whether they like it or not. It's not fair, imo, to leave a animal with that stress if some better handling can prevent it.

I'm always reminded of a dog training program I saw with a Westie who was afraid of foot bridges over roads. He just lay down and refused to move and the owner gave up. The trainer dragged the dog for a couple of yards, on its belly, when it got up and trotted happily across the bridge with him. A much happier dog for having a confident human giving him no option.

There is owners who uses a tone in their voice making it sound as if the scale, in fact, is a disguised crocodile! And then, the owner wonders why they struggle to get their dog weighted.

I know that going to the veterinarian isn't always fun for a dog, and I'm not suggesting that people should behave like militant bulldozers, but if you're genuinly a nervous wreck, it is usually easier to follow the lead of someone who appears confident.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
There is owners who uses a tone in their voice making it sound as if the scale, in fact, is a disguised crocodile! And then, the owner wonders why they struggle to get their dog weighted.

I know that going to the veterinarian isn't always fun for a dog, and I'm not suggesting that people should behave like militant bulldozers, but if you're genuinly a nervous wreck, it is usually easier to follow the lead of someone who appears confident.

You are quite right. Sometimes I get dogs who are rather nervous around the owner when they come in to see me. They cower, shake, show lots of signs of stress while the owner is present. Yet the minute the owner is out the door, the dog merrily trots to my grooming room, stands like a statue for the groom, gets a cuddle and goes and chills out in the kennel til they are again collected. The dogs are happy to see the owner, but likewise are usually jumping up at me with a waggy tail, so hardly bullied. Next time they come, there is a repeat of the that whole set of behaviours. Is it perhaps the dog is more confident knowing that I have set boundaries for it in that three hours it's with me? And that in the following 6/8/10 weeks there aren't enough and when the dog comes in, it's reverting to it's "home state"?

GirlFriday

Visit site

Oh, I'd read it as 'don't know what is being asked of them/it isn't being asked clearly/don't know to keep all paws on the scales/generally making a meal of it' rather than 'dog genuinely scared of scales and owner faffing too' but perhaps you've understood her story more clearly... I certainly didn't see what the fuss was about.

leflynn

Visit site
I wish our vets scales were either bigger or not in a corner of a wall - a 30 inch greyhound just fits at the best of times without a radiator in the way, so I have to lift his back legs on to make him fit! He always goes over there forst as if he knows he always needs to even before we've checked in!