2 year old child dies falling from her pony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jellymoon

Visit site
In these situations, people always resort to blaming the parents simply because they can't allow the possibility in their mind that this could happen to them or their own children. But they should have the tiniest bit of empathy about what they post publicly on the internet - I'll never understand how people can post half the stuff they do, especially in such an awful situation.
This is so true, something like this could happen to any of us. I’ve put my kids on ponies aged 2, I’m sure many of us have. For a little walk round on the lead rein, down to the sweet shop, could have fallen on the road, or been hit by a car. I think my daughter did pc camp aged for the first time aged 3.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
This is so true, something like this could happen to any of us. I’ve put my kids on ponies aged 2, I’m sure many of us have. For a little walk round on the lead rein, down to the sweet shop, could have fallen on the road, or been hit by a car. I think my daughter did pc camp aged for the first time aged 3.
Absolutely - my 3yo loves her Shetland more than anything. We only trundle around our own field, but realistically accidents can happen anywhere (we're in the heart of farming country, there's often noisy heavy machinery over the hedge, there are pheasants everywhere, the shoot will be starting up again in a few weeks, and even just the ground is really uneven) But also, I put her in the car every day to do the school run, which is almost certainly statistically a greater risk. Accidents happen, usually we get away with them, unfortunately sometimes they're tragic.

Backtoblack

Visit site
have read that thee were 2 small children and the mother. how on earth can one woman ,mounted on a horse look after 2 small tots mounted on ponies? the trio had been seen around the village lanes recently. apparently the little tots pony spooked when it heard the horn. I know the family are going through a terrible unimaginable trauma, but honestly, as a rider, parent and grandmother I feel this needs serious looking into and a possible prosecution for neglect.
my own children sat on their shetland at 2 or 3 years old and were led around but not from another horse, not together, and certainly not at a hunt meet or gymkhana where spooky things might happen.

Fred66

Visit site
have read that thee were 2 small children and the mother. how on earth can one woman ,mounted on a horse look after 2 small tots mounted on ponies? the trio had been seen around the village lanes recently. apparently the little tots pony spooked when it heard the horn. I know the family are going through a terrible unimaginable trauma, but honestly, as a rider, parent and grandmother I feel this needs serious looking into and a possible prosecution for neglect.
my own children sat on their shetland at 2 or 3 years old and were led around but not from another horse, not together, and certainly not at a hunt meet or gymkhana where spooky things might happen.
Were you there ? Did you see it with your own eyes ? Unless the answer to this is yes then you are spreading gossip about an incident that is traumatic enough without having to contend with this type of speculation. Even if you were there then this type of post looking to point fingers and pile guilt onto people who will in all likelihood never forgive themselves however it happened is ill timed at best.

Backtoblack

Visit site
Were you there ? Did you see it with your own eyes ? Unless the answer to this is yes then you are spreading gossip about an incident that is traumatic enough without having to contend with this type of speculation. Even if you were there then this type of post looking to point fingers and pile guilt onto people who will in all likelihood never forgive themselves however it happened is ill timed at best.
eye witness account in the press

Flicker

Visit site
And how would a prosecution of this nature be in the public interest? Our police force and public prosecutors can barely deal with ‘real’ stuff, let alone get tied up investigating and prosecuting a grieving family.

The Irish Draft 2022

Visit site
If that is true then that’s child neglect. Horse and pony are very big strong powerful and could easily kill a child. Most equestrians don’t want to admit and will make every excuse under the sun . I believe no child should be on a horse until they are at least 7 years old . This case just highlighted the safety issues in the equestrian world and how safety needs to really be improved and have laws induced to stop this from happening to a another child.

Last edited:

Gallop_Away

Visit site
For goodness sake I can't believe this needs saying, again, but A CHILD HAS DIED! Have some respect. Her parents will no doubt be blaming themselves and scrutinising every last thing they did before this awful accident. A bunch of self opinionated strangers online WHO WERE NOT THERE and therefore DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED, speculating and making nasty comments is helping no one. Give your heads a wobble and pray this never happens to you!

Sleep tight little one. Thoughts and love to you and your heartbroken family.

minesadouble

Visit site
If that is true then that’s child neglect. Horse and pony are very big strong powerful and could easily kill a child. Most equestrians don’t want to admit and will make every excuse under the sun . I believe no child should be on a horse until they are at least 7 years old . This case just highlighted the safety issues in the equestrian world and how safety needs to really be improved and have laws induced to stop this from happening to a another child.

That is a ridiculous over reaction IMO. My kids had their own ponies from being about 18 months old and loved grooming them and tootling about on the lead rein. Some kids are competently jumping 70cm tracks on their ponies by the age of 7. This was a tragic, freak accident, and knee-jerk reactions are not helpful

Forum Admin Team

Forum Administrators
Visit site
For goodness sake I can't believe this needs saying, again, but A CHILD HAS DIED! Have some respect. Her parents will no doubt be blaming themselves and scrutinising every last thing they did before this awful accident. A bunch of self opinionated strangers online WHO WERE NOT THERE and therefore DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED, speculating and making nasty comments is helping no one. Give your heads a wobble and pray this never happens to you!

On that note... Thread closed.

Any attempt to revisit this elsewhere on the HHO forum may result in participants having their access limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.