2 year old child dies falling from her pony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NR88

Visit site
The comments on line are horrendous

I can imagine.

Perhaps there is a need to discuss the H&S of such young children on the hunting field but not right now when the poor family and acquaintances will be living their worst nightmare.

I hope that the family's identities remain anonymous so that they can have a little peace.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I can imagine.

Perhaps there is a need to discuss the H&S of such young children on the hunting field but not right now when the poor family and acquaintances will be living their worst nightmare.

I hope that the family's identities remain anonymous so that they can have a little peace.

I'll put money she was on a lead rein & following.

horsesense

Visit site
A two year old doesn't have the muscle tone to sit up securely and ride so I can't see how parents that knew anything about horses and riding could contemplate taking a child of that age on a hunt; nor can I understand the hunt countenancing such a thing; this is one instance where a risk assessment would have been a useful procedure.

honetpot

Visit site
I think many of us who have had small children have taken them to events, the last show I attended there was a two year old in the fancy dress class, and with ponies dressed like planes and, other exciting things going on accidents do happen. I can remember my daughter at two screaming for an hour because she couldn't do stuff at pony club that her older sister could.
My thoughts are with the parents, children around ponies is always risky, I know of one child who had a head injury from a pony kicking out in the field.
Going to an autumn meet is usually a social affair, a chance to go out early and enjoy the morning, slow paced, and a lot of standing around, watching and a lot more controlled, in my experience, than the local gymkhana lead rein.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
The comments on line are horrendous
In these situations, people always resort to blaming the parents simply because they can't allow the possibility in their mind that this could happen to them or their own children. But they should have the tiniest bit of empathy about what they post publicly on the internet - I'll never understand how people can post half the stuff they do, especially in such an awful situation.

alibali

Visit site
Exactly what PF said.

I can only add that those quoting the offensive comment in their replies condemning it are inadvertently/accidentally proliferating it. Could I suggest instead of repeating the comment it might be better to quote the posters username.

Rest gently little one, thoughts with all affected.

New2this

Visit site
So unbelievably sad. I think it’s a natural instinct to look for someone to blame. It makes us feel safer. “I would never do that, therefore my child is safe”.

That and the weird phenomenon of trolling- filling a gaping hole in the psyche by forcing people to acknowledge our presence (usually through vile words or deeds). As the saying goes ‘don’t feed the troll’.

SO1

Visit site
Riding is a risk activity and anyone of any age could have a fatal fall.

I do wonder though if there should be a minimum age for attending a hunt meet or any equestrian activity where there is no first aid on site.

We don't know the full details of what happened but toddlers can't move very fast or easily follow instructions so it can put them more at risk if they get into a difficult situation or fall off.

Most riding schools won't accept children under the age of four and most shows are the same.

This is a very sad accident and I hope once the media activity has settled and the situation been reviewed that perhaps people may learn from this devastating incident and a minimum age for riding be put in place for hunt following or meet attendance. Hunting activities carry an extra risk due to the possibility of saboteurs and perhaps are not suitable for very young children.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I reported the troll comment. Utterly disgusting.

We don't know what happened and this is a situation where I think online speculation as to the details is genuinely insensitive and uncalled for. If the parents have made an error then they are already suffering the worst possible consequence and do not need further condemnation. If they haven't then they will feel the weight as if they have anyway.

It's tragic beyond words. I'm so sorry for all the child's connections. Rest in peace little one.

I agree. I have my own views on the circumstances but as a parent I wouldn't wish the pain of the loss of a child on anyone.

The parents will undoubtedly be their own harshest critics right now and cruel online comments aimed at destroying them further are unnecessary.

Further down the line the hunt need to learn lessons from this but for now they need to give the family all the support they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.