2 year old child dies falling from her pony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
All I know is a little pony mad girl tragically died. Her parents and family and friends will be haunted forever. Times like this i hate the new age of news. Lord it would have been bad enough when it may have made the local papers and perhaps a small piece in the nationals. But there is nowhere anyone involved in this tragedy can go to grieve in peace.

Let their God be with them at this difficult time and can we please have some compassion regardless of our own opinions or at least move this thread to club house.

meleeka

Visit site
There was a child that looked about 2 on the hound exercise I went to yesterday, they did not come round the whole ride just a small section on the lead rein with mum on foot on a private road on the estate . All very safe and the child loved it.
We cannot judge if we do not know the full story.

I’m guessing this was similar circumstances. Even on a leidrein, a split second is all it needs for a child to be dislodged. I know of a child who would was riding at 2, who was more competent than most 5 year olds and went to plenty of shows on her saintly pony doing leadrein. We don’t know the circumstances, so for people to be calling out the parents, who will have to pay for their decisions for the rest of their lives, is just awful. I wonder if people would feel the same if it weren’t a hunt, but a morning amble in the local woods?

Thoughts are with all involved.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I wonder if people would feel the same if it weren’t a hunt, but a morning amble in the local woods?
It's the link to hunting which will be triggering the vile troll comments by keyboard warriors who get their rocks off on making incendiary comments.

windand rain

Visit site
Unfortunately accidents happen most are tragic but most are also attributed to misjudgement. A neighbours grandchild aged about 18 months or so drowned in the garden pond. The grandmother never recovered and blamed herself for taking her eye off him no doubt the trolls would have had a field day over that one. Bless the children that don't make it to adulthood. RIP little one and peace in time to come for those that are grieving

scats

Visit site
When I saw the headline yesterday, my heart sank for the little girl and her family, but also because I knew the uproar that would follow due to the fact it was mentioned she was out hunting.
Im pretty certain she won’t have been flying over hedges at that age, more like tottering along on the lead rein, which countless tots do at home all across the land.
Sleep well little one, I hope your heaven is filled with ponies x

Flicker

Visit site
I am always disappointed when conversations around a tragic event descend into a blame seeking exercise. I think it stems from our horror at the thought that the particular event might / could happen to us, but if we manage to find some kind of moral or other failure on behalf of the victim we can reassure ourselves that we would never act in such a way and are therefore safeguarded from the event happening to us. Which means we can feel safe again. When the fact is, as some of us have pointed out, tragic accidents can happen to anyone irrespective of how safe, sensible or morally pure we are.

HashRouge

Visit site
I’m guessing this was similar circumstances. Even on a leidrein, a split second is all it needs for a child to be dislodged. I know of a child who would was riding at 2, who was more competent than most 5 year olds and went to plenty of shows on her saintly pony doing leadrein. We don’t know the circumstances, so for people to be calling out the parents, who will have to pay for their decisions for the rest of their lives, is just awful. I wonder if people would feel the same if it weren’t a hunt, but a morning amble in the local woods?

Thoughts are with all involved.
It's because of the way it's been reported, I think. Most of the coverage makes it sound like the child was actually out hunting, whereas as we know it's likely that wasn't exactly the case. So it does make it sound as though the parents were very irresponsible and we know how the internet loves a pile on.

As for Stressymummy's post - guys, please stop reacting and quoting, you are just feeding the troll. Report it if you feel so minded and then just ignore.

Fred66

Visit site
Deepest and sincerest condolences to the parents and family on the loss of this precious life. Sadly accidents happen and hindsight is both a wonderful and tragic thing as in 99% of cases it’s never needed but when it is then it is frequently too late.
God bless and rest in peace.

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
Just to stop the speculation. The hunting grapevine says the child was on a pony being led by the mother who was riding her horse.

The child fell off and without detail, ended up under the mother’s horses feet.

There but for the grace of God.

How do you know this?

I find it really hard to believe that a two year old child would not be being chaperoned by someone on foot.

SO1

Visit site
That is truly terrible the poor family.

I think this does cement my view that there should be a minimum age for hunt attendance with so many horses, dogs and the possibility of hunt saboteurs, the hunting field is just not a safe place for toddlers to be.

I have hunted as child and it was great fun but I was riding independently and 12 when I first went.

I expect after this tragic accident a lot of hunts and perhaps sponsored/hunt rides will be looking at their policies around minimum ages for participation and make them inline with riding schools and which have a minimum age of 4.

Just to stop the speculation. The hunting grapevine says the child was on a pony being led by the mother who was riding her horse.

The child fell off and without detail, ended up under the mother’s horses feet.

There but for the grace of God.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Not going to discuss this. I know the hunt very well.
I'm afraid that, even if I knew this for fact, I would not have put this here, in the Tack Room. I would, personally, have given the grieving parents time before the horror is picked up by everyone.

I used to be in the Police. We would keep facts quiet until at least family had been told. Just so they could be told and allowed the dignity of finding out personally, and the safety of someone being with them when they found out.

I wonder if you could have your post removed?

Or is it already too late?

Please note, I did not quote the post in question. I have reported it in an effort to have it removed.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Admin don't seem to remove posts on compassionate grounds. I once begged them to remove one of mine as I felt it was an overshare that might get me in trouble in real life and my editing window had gone... got a resounding "no" despite it being my post.

I agree though, sharing details to "limit speculation" is just a ridiculous cover for gossiping and attempting to stir up outrage.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I am certain that whatever happened the parents will be blaming themselves. I do not think that a load of strangers on the internet have any right to make things worse. A child has died that will have been the whole world to her parents and family. Its not the time for muck raking and blaming people. We dont know what happened and even if we did its not up to us to be Judge and jury. Please leave the parents and family to morn their loss.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I posted to stop the horrendous and wild speculation that was going on when people didn’t know the facts.
Will happily remove it.
Not sure how your version of 'the facts' would help anyone feel any better?

Sadly, where people have quoted you, the comments still remain. I guess you would have to ask admin to remove those too. Or message those who have quoted, to have the quote removed?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I didn't quote it and the rest of my post was something I'd have liked to have been left standing really.

Someone quoted me so I can salvage it. It still bears saying again.

"We don't know what happened and this is a situation where I think online speculation as to the details is genuinely insensitive and uncalled for. If the parents have made an error then they are already suffering the worst possible consequence and do not need further condemnation. If they haven't then they will feel the weight as if they have anyway.

It's tragic beyond words. I'm so sorry for all the child's connections. Rest in peace little one."

Status
Not open for further replies.