2 year old horse for sale

Birker2020

Visit site
The advert gives DofB as 2016 and says she has been with them "since" a 2yr old so I am guessing she is 5 now.
Still too young in my book for a large breed like her to be doing all that. Why can't people just let them grow up!!
Oh that's a bit better then, the advert states twice that she is a 2 year old. Nice looking horse too.

Birker2020

Visit site
Why don't you ring them and tell them off?
Sarcasm is not necessary.

I am just stating that a 2 year old shouldn't be jumping anything, their growth plates (all 32 of them) don't finish closing until around 5 years of age, sometimes it is 2 years later than this with the WB types. It's a shame to potentially ruin a horse by doing too much.

Like the bloke at work that jogs 8 miles a day with his 4 month old German Shepherd puppy by his side.

Birker2020

Visit site
She's five, and there is one photo of her schooling over a not very big fence. And the details say she's been produced slowly.

What on earth is there to worry about?
Because I didn't realise she was five. I've said twice now that I thought she was two. This is because twice the advert states she is two. They have obviously made a mistake that's all.

JackFrost

Visit site
A question please. When horses are advertised at this time of year, are they stated at their actual age/ rising age/could be either?

Obvs you would check if you were actually buying, but is there a standard practice?

ihatework

Visit site
A question please. When horses are advertised at this time of year, are they stated at their actual age/ rising age/could be either?

Obvs you would check if you were actually buying, but is there a standard practice?

People who know what they are doing will advertise them as their age as of 1st January for the coming year. So 2016 would be a 5yo

Birker2020

Visit site
People who know what they are doing will advertise them as their age as of 1st January for the coming year. So 2016 would be a 5yo
But as horses require passports to be produced when they are sold why do they not sell them as the age stated on their passport? That's what I don't get.
As an example my horses DOB is 08.04.97 so today he is 24.

Once it's past 1st Jan of that year surely you would state 'rising 24 year old?'

AFB

Visit site
But as horses require passports to be produced when they are sold why do they not sell them as the age stated on their passport? That's what I don't get.
As an example my horses DOB is 08.04.97 so today he is 24.

Once it's past 1st Jan of that year surely you would state 'rising 24 year old?'

For competition purposes it's 1st Jan, not passported DOB.

PSD

Visit site
Gosh I bet this causes confusion. :oops:

Quite the opposite. It makes every horse the same age from the 1st jan to avoid any confusion when showing and competing. My fells DOB is June but she’s 3 on 1st Jan. that’s why many breeders are breeding earlier in the year now.

JackFrost

Visit site
And the people who don't know what they're doing?? ?
I see lots of family horse types advertised, so not competition or racehorses. Very few ads make clear if a '4' year old is say, 3 and nearly 4, or 4 going on 5. As LEC says they aren't all born at the same time. Particularly with young horses, it's useful to know their actual age and a year is a big difference.

sport horse

Visit site
Gosh I bet this causes confusion. :oops:

ALL horses are deemed to be one year older on 1st January each year and it has been thus for years and years. the only confusion is when people decide for themselves that their horse will not become a certain age on 1st January but wait until its actual date of birth.

Imagine the confusion in sports events and racing if 3 year olds suddenly became 4 randomly throughout the year. What would happen if a 5 year old horse qualified for a 5 yar old championship but ws actually 6 by the time of the championship?!

ihatework

Visit site
And the people who don't know what they're doing?? ?
I see lots of family horse types advertised, so not competition or racehorses. Very few ads make clear if a '4' year old is say, 3 and nearly 4, or 4 going on 5. As LEC says they aren't all born at the same time. Particularly with young horses, it's useful to know their actual age and a year is a big difference.

Well the people who don’t know what they are doing would call a horse born in June 2016 a 4yo!!

I actually don’t have issue with the term rising.

I agree it’s useful to know their age. Which is why it’s useful to have standardised way of advertising their age ie 1st Jan. Then you know a 5yo will be 5 that year and not actually about to turn 6.

JackFrost

Visit site
ALL horses are deemed to be one year older on 1st January each year and it has been thus for years and years. the only confusion is when people decide for themselves that their horse will not become a certain age on 1st January but wait until its actual date of birth.

Imagine the confusion in sports events and racing if 3 year olds suddenly became 4 randomly throughout the year. What would happen if a 5 year old horse qualified for a 5 yar old championship but ws actually 6 by the time of the championship?!
Good point, hadn't thought of that.

The issue I think does have importance. E.g. horse I know with lameness probably caused by being jumped too hard too young, with an estimated passport date based on conventions. Dentist thought was horse was probably much younger than the d.o.b attributed.

sport horse

Visit site
Good point, hadn't thought of that.

The issue I think does have importance. E.g. horse I know with lameness probably caused by being jumped too hard too young, with an estimated passport date based on conventions. Dentist thought was horse was probably much younger than the d.o.b attributed.

Most horses are passported before being weaned from their dams. For any reputable stud book anything pasported after weaning has to have DNA (many require this even when paperwork is done before weaning) so anything that has an 'estimated passport date' whatever that means is probably not a stud book passport and would need careful thought before accepting any of the details contained in that document as fact, rather than fiction.