2 yr old condition? [pics]

rachyblue

Visit site
I've always thought that my 2 yr old Hanoverian is at the correct condition for his age, but a comment made the other day has made me wonder... an instructor on our yard (if it had just been a random I don't think it would have bothered me so much) said he is skinny and needs more weight before backing or he won't develop any muscle.

I've always been of the belief that with large growing warmbloods in particular (he is estimated to be 16.2+ at maturity) that less was more? Either way he has at least 12 months before I would even think about backing him, so he has plenty of time.

I've linked the below pics;

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/323177_10150858546707531_180846724_o.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/323116_10150858548642531_663299682_o.jpg

Bearskin

Visit site
Ignore the "instructor", your horse looks fine and has plenty of time to develop. I back horses for a living and hate it when I have to start a "fatty" as it places too much strain on their young structures. Fat (what some people call "condition") does not turn to muscle; correct work and appropriate feeding does.

becca1305

Visit site
He looks fine to me :). I have a 3yo WB that I bought at 2yrs & since the spring grass has come through shes in similar condition to your lad now. I use a weigh tape to monitor her & every so often when the vet is at mine for one of the others (he might as well live here!) I whip her rug off for him to check her condition for my peace of mind :). She was described as perfect at last visit looking a touch less covered then your lad though the vet did say dont worry if she puts a touch on (which she has now done after field swapping to new grazing) but you dont want her to put a lot more on :). Hope that helps ease your mind a little, its so easy to start doubting yourself once someones said something! :)

Oscar

Visit site
OMG!! Kick that instructor in their gonads and tell them to go henceforth to Specsavers!!

Your horse I would say is well covered, and I would not want him/her to gain any further weight for the sake of his/her joints. Ignore their comments, they are an idiot and have no place adding their two penneth, and feel free to them to fox trot off.....

Lgd

Visit site
Last edited:

Capriole

Visit site
I think you can safely ignore that person, going off those pictures :eek:

I wouldnt want to see any more weight on him.

HBM1

Visit site
not only does she not have a clue about youngsters clearly, I wouldn't want to use her as an instructor either - a horse changes a huge amount in a year - or two even if you don't back him until he is 4 - so why is she even thinking about his condition for backing at 2.

rachyblue

Visit site
It is comforting sometimes just to get confirmation that you are doing the right thing. I can feel his ribs if I rub my hand along, just can't see them unless he is making a tight turn.

He is on 24/7 decent grazing with just vits and mins in some chaff so he shouldn't get any heavier - he does plenty of running around to keep himself occupied, fortunately there are some others who are around 4 in there to keep him entertained.

Kallibear

Visit site
if anything, he's a little heavier than I would like a very big baby to be. I'd much perfer to see them lean and straggly at that age, esp if they're a fairly good doer.

This is my 2yr old who is now 16hh and still going up. And going through a seriously fugly stage. :eek: He's since put a little weight on and has therefore had his dinner cut down.

150166_10151748613055437_930191858_n.jpg