20 mile gallop at newmarket....

truffles

Visit site
It looks amazing!! Does anybody know if they do them yearly or anything? is there something similiar like this where I could find out about it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjbIHWREkRg&mode=related&search=

The music got me boogying!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

spooks

Visit site
i think thats a yearly event they do for a charity.. entry was 20 quid and you had to have at least 20 quid sponser money or the entry was 40 quid. they have different distances that you can do.(according to my daughter). trying to think who organises it..there was a post or two on the forum around the time it happened, ash thinks it was september might be worth having a look in the archives

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
WOW English trailers look DANGEROUS!! I would never let my horses travel in one!

[/ QUOTE ]

how come lol??

GTs

Visit site
The just look small and dinky - you get in any type of accident, or precarious situation your horses will be lucky to come out the other end without serious trauma.

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
God I would love to get a load of people together, get sponsored, do the longest ride and donate the money to cancer research Uk
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be pretty cool.
smile.gif
we could have a big sponsored hho ride or something lol!?!

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The just look small and dinky - you get in any type of accident, or precarious situation your horses will be lucky to come out the other end without serious trauma.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I much prefer travelling in Lorries. But I think any size horse carrier, whether it be lorry or trailer, in a precarious situation the horse would be lucky to come out alive IMO.

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Loved the bucking horse! Hehe! I am hoping to do the Newmarket ride at some point as it looks great fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will hopefully have a go at it - it looks really good fun! Yes, that bucking one is funny! there is a separate video of it and in the background everyone goes, "OOh...OOohhh nooo...oh dear" in comical voice hehee.
grin.gif

GTs

Visit site
Your average English trailer:
p_horse1_lrg.jpg

Your average American Trailer:
Trailer.JPG

Yes we do have small bumper pulls - I would never put my horses in them. And think about it most of them are slant loads, which must mean they are wider then the English ones.

And just at looking at them - the English one looks like if your horses farted it might fall to bits.

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
*sigh* Size isn't everything GTs.........

All the standard UK trailers I have seen are pretty robust if you ask me, plus we have huge fuel and road tax so most normal people can't afford to run a V8 monster truck to tow their horse 10 miles to the local show in a trailer for 8 horses, its just not practical in this country
smirk.gif

Happytohack

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
the problem with gooseneck trailers over here is most of us don't drive pick ups to tow them!
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And they'd be well over our legal weight limits here - not to mention trying to drive them round our narrow lanes and mini roundabouts
tongue.gif

foraday

Visit site
The ride is on every year and has been for nearly 20 years. It raises over 20k per year for macmillan cancer who provide the nurses that go to your homes to care for you if you have cancer to look after you in your final months. Avery worthy cause.

The ride is limited to only 350 horses not 3000 as stated! The jockey club would have a fit and also the insurance!!

Amy Goodwin organises this ride every year and thanks must go to her and her team of volunteers who man the horses crossings and various points around the ride.

There are plenty of stables or as we call it lairage for you to overnight-as long as your vacs are upto date and passport etc-but as this is a condition of the ride it shouldn't be a problem!

The ride is fabulous and well run!

GTS-although I wouldn't put my horses in trailer the worst that happens with them is turning over due to driver error usually driving too fast! There are some better trailers mainly equitrek which are more stable but do cost a lot more!!!

The usa trailers are nice especially the open ones due to your heat that we see on Animal Cops here on the discovery channel but over here the horses would freeze!

Please don't forget that most people over here have to take a towing test then a hgv test and as the gooseneck trailer is articilated then that would mean a class 1 HGV which they would take after their class 2 hgv-so if someone won the lottery then that would be great! The cost of doing anything in this resession hit country costs-even to sleep!!!!

Anyone else happy about the proposed £1.35p a mile toll coming to a road near you!!!! Thanks blair do you want shirts off our backs now!!!!!

kalasadi

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep don't forget the man who was selling the B******s to blair t shirts got arrested!!!!!

Agree the ride is fabulous and have done it every year now since it started! I did see my two on the video!

Only use a lorry but I do worry when I get overtaken by a trailer and car going 60 odd! Does worry me!

Agree about the cost of living over here! You are taxed when you sleep and taxed when you breathe!

Sorry gts most of us are paupers over here and at petrol at nearly £1 a litre most of the time now we cannot simply afford to do most things as we don't have a good public transport system (unless you live in london)

Another point about london (followingon from the 1.35p a mile toll) Did you know older vehicles are now going to get taxed 200 a day to enter london!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another tax called the low emission zone

tfl.gov.uk/lezlondon

Watch as food and clothes prices in london soar due to the cost of buying the brand new lorries to transport it in!!!!

Nailed

Visit site
i always think the usa trailers look scarey.
On all the vet programmes they have horses in trailers witht he sides that look liked cages with big gapes in.. scarey.
lou x

Faithkat

Visit site
Hmm . . . "average American Trailer" . . . ????? Not what I found when I googled . . . . actually (sorry about this as you are American) but bigger is not always better. . . the horse is much better if it doesn't have room to be thrown around and if they have partitions that are close to them, they can brace themselves against them.

K9Wendy

Visit site
I think GT's is now offically 'American' therefore everything is bigger and much better over there!! GT's I imagine when you used to be 'British' you would have happily travelled your horse in an old bog standard British trailer!