20 Saddles stolen

neddy man

Visit site
20 saddles stolen last night from a livery yard nr Sheffield Yorkshire ,well secured door didn't help as they got in through the roof, Krugers & Albion dressage saddles and gp saddles, plus varius other makes. Please everyone be carefull check your security, or take your saddles home

Sealine

Visit site
I’m so sorry to hear this. I know how awful it is to have your tack stolen as it happened to me a couple of years ago. I no longer leave my tack at the yard. The people who do this are scum! :(

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Where any of the saddles tack marked?
A lot of stolen tack is recovered but it is difficult/impossible to identify the owners as they are not marked so it never gets re-united.
If they are replaced make sure the new ones are marked as thieves often come back again knowing that it will be replaced.

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
My daughter is a BYRDS young rider and noticed this issue was becoming an increasing problem. She approached a company called Datatag. They are a well known company who supply the motorcycle industry with the industry approved MASTER scheme and the construction and farming industry with the CESAR scheme...
She challenged them to make a horse saddle specific scheme which utilises a radio frequency chip (a secure type chip similar to your horse, dog or cat chip) which can be inserted deep in the flocking. It’s tiny and therefore doesn’t mark your expensive saddle in any way..
It allows Police to scan it and return it accordingly if found in suspicious circumstances!

They were impressed and decided to sponsor her subsequently... nice that a company gives something back!
They sell a single saddle kit or a tack room kit for three saddles.... the latter kit comes with additional dna marking fluid to mark up other things and signage to put on the yard gates... can be found on the usual internet marketing site!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
My daughter is a BYRDS young rider and noticed this issue was becoming an increasing problem. She approached a company called Datatag. They are a well known company who supply the motorcycle industry with the industry approved MASTER scheme and the construction and farming industry with the CESAR scheme...
She challenged them to make a horse saddle specific scheme which utilises a radio frequency chip (a secure type chip similar to your horse, dog or cat chip) which can be inserted deep in the flocking. It’s tiny and therefore doesn’t mark your expensive saddle in any way..
It allows Police to scan it and return it accordingly if found in suspicious circumstances!

They were impressed and decided to sponsor her subsequently... nice that a company gives something back!
They sell a single saddle kit or a tack room kit for three saddles.... the latter kit comes with additional dna marking fluid to mark up other things and signage to put on the yard gates... can be found on the usual internet marketing site!

A great idea! Do you know what they can do for none flocked saddles? I have an Equipe that isn’t flocked ?, but would be worth it for the others!

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
My daughter Freya has been trying to speak to manufacturers over this to try and get an industry scheme together for horse tack but has met with surprising apathy... apparently there is no demand for it which given the number of saddles stolen that I read about almost daily I find somewhat amazing...
with regards to your Equipe we had a similar issue when we were using Wow saddles... we had worked a way to slide it under the leather tree but without seeing yours I couldn’t say... the chip is similar in size to a large grain of rice..

if you want to pm me I’ll try and put you in touch with her to explore....

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
When I was going round various yards all round the South East of England repairing and fitting saddlery I used to spend ages tagging saddles, I would put micro chips in the flock or on the trees (printed circuits) as well as stamp their postcodes on to the sweatflaps. It's heartbreaking to see the after effects of a theft on the owners, some were saddles I had sold them. Many stables were broken in to then and still are despite improved security and in my time many of the thieving scum went in through the roof. It seems to be a weakness they go for so make sure your roof is secure. Unfortunately at the time I was doing all this very few saddles were recovered as no one was bothering to scan the damn things, ebay was in it's early days and was full of stolen goods. The majority of the saddles that were stolen from the yards I dealt with were apparently thought to be going out to Ireland, that is what a police officer told me at the scene of one of the thefts.
Facebook now is another source to search for stolen saddles as it gumtree, preloved etc
Oz

Sealine

Visit site
The saddle I had stolen was marked with my postcode as were most of the saddles stolen that day but none of them have been seen again.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Sorry i don't know the answer saw it on f/bk .Pandora Maund, and Ellena Kate Parkin put photos and descriptions of their saddles on

Many years ago we attended an event run by a local comp yard with W.Yorks police where we had our tack stamped with our postcode. It is so long ago that none of those saddles are still in use, although one bridle (mostly) is. The saddles that we use currently have ID numbers put on by the saddler when they were made.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
If you wish to stamp your saddles yourself then you can get a kit from Halfords.
Rolson Quality Tools 38 Piece Automatic Number & Letter Stamp Set Item Number: 26138
You can also mark your property with Smartwater www.smartwater.com which are coded particles with a unique code just for you.
... and Datatag as per above.
As stated above a lot of tack etc. is recovered but as it is not marked it is not possible to identify the owner.

Baywonder

Visit site
My OH used to put data tags into some of his saddles (if required by the customer) years and years ago. Rather than put them into the flocking, which could potentially get lost when a re-flock was done, he used to embed it into the layers on the seat itself. As others have said, the leather can also be stamped with postcodes etc to make it more distinguishable too.

Silver Clouds

Visit site
About 20-25yrs ago I bought a cheap but effective tack marking tool from the Robinsons catelogue- it was a set of metal letters and numbers that you you could insert into a frame, and below the frame sat two cigarette lighters. Holding the lighters on for a couple of minutes heated up the letters/numbers, and then you could hot-stamp leather (also worked on plastic and wood). It was really effective and easy to use, but unfortunately it 'disappeared' on a yard a couple of years after I bought it. Has anyone seen anything like this for sale now? I'm not sure if I'm not using the right terms when googling but have had no luck finding one.

Nicnac

Visit site
About 20-25yrs ago I bought a cheap but effective tack marking tool from the Robinsons catelogue- it was a set of metal letters and numbers that you you could insert into a frame, and below the frame sat two cigarette lighters. Holding the lighters on for a couple of minutes heated up the letters/numbers, and then you could hot-stamp leather (also worked on plastic and wood). It was really effective and easy to use, but unfortunately it 'disappeared' on a yard a couple of years after I bought it. Has anyone seen anything like this for sale now? I'm not sure if I'm not using the right terms when googling but have had no luck finding one.

As per Peter's post above - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-26138-Automatic-Punch-Set/dp/B000QFCSJ0

Silver Clouds

Visit site

I had spotted that but was looking for a heated version rather than a punch/stamp that uses pressure. I've used pressure-type punches in the past but the mark isn't as obvious to any potential thief, and I've found the leather can sometimes 'seal over' the indentation (probably not the best way to describe it, but basically the marks faded substantially, made worse by cleaning the leather). You can buy bookbinding stamps that are used heated, but they are expensive and require a separate tool/source to heat them. I think I may be hunting for something that no longer exists though!