Dressage 2019 - 2020 winter season round up

Wheels

Visit site
The winter season for the regional Dressage Ireland regions run from October to March with a league at each level and a championship show at the end and there is also a national championship show for those that qualify.

I was all fired up to try and qualify for the Prelim and Novice national classes but we had a late start to the season - M was off with a minor soft tissue injury and then I decided to take him barefoot. So January ended up being our first show and with only 4 shows left from that point I decided to concentrate on prelim.

February was the craziest weather month ever, 1 show postponed to the following weekend and then cancelled saw our season shrink even more but kudos to the committee that managed to squeeze in another date at the start of March.

M has done brilliantly at every show, started off a bit tense and lacklustre but scores have improved every time out and we have been placed at every show which shows his consistent improvements. Hes put up with whatever the weather threw at him with plenty of freezing weather, wind, hail, snow and rain along the way both in training and at the shows. It's a testament to his character that he worked his way through it like a pro.

Our multiple wins and placings meant that we came 2nd in the prelim league which is amazing since we missed over half of the shows.

Unfortunately the regionals and nationals have now been cancelled due to the coronavirus but we've had good fun getting to this point.

I would imagine there will be quite a number of weeks / months before any more registered shows are on the cards but we will continue training, get ready for some novices and elems when the shows start again and maybe do some online comps, we will then wait to see what happens :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200301-152646_Video Player-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20200301-152646_Video Player-01.jpeg
    354.6 KB · Views: 12
  • SmartSelect_20200301-153316_Video Player-01.jpeg
    SmartSelect_20200301-153316_Video Player-01.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20200301-152601_Video Player-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20200301-152601_Video Player-01.jpeg
    346.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20200301-152845_Video Player-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20200301-152845_Video Player-01.jpeg
    259.9 KB · Views: 10

Bernster

Visit site
Well done. I am impressed at your dedication despite everything. Agree it might all get a bit quiet but hopefully only for a little while.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
You've done so well battling the elements and getting out there. And what great results! Such a shame events are now on hold but I guess we are all going to have a very disrupted few months. But as you say - a good opportunity to train hard and prepare for the future.

Wheels

Visit site
Thanks, it was tough to keep going at some points! It shows the importance of goals I think, if I hadnt been trying to get qual scores I'd probably have not bothered some weeks. But it's been worth it for M too, he's looking and feeling fabulous

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Thanks, it was tough to keep going at some points! It shows the importance of goals I think, if I hadnt been trying to get qual scores I'd probably have not bothered some weeks.
definitely agree with this! winter is always hard but this winter has been ghastly, having reasons to keep on getting up in the saddle are pretty good motivators then. Well done :D still clinging onto the unrealistic hope that the disruption won't go on too long :confused:

Wheels

Visit site
Our first minister said yesterday that if / when schools close it will probably be for up to 16 weeks which takes them straight into summer hols. It's hard to know what that will mean for other gatherings but doesnt look good.

I'm hoping for may / june but time will tell.