2nd horse ? Should I get another?

{108361}

Visit site
So, I have a fab 10 yo ID that I love to bits - safe and sane and a brilliant safe hack/hunter. She is lovely but very much lacks the 'oomph' Im used to (previously had TB types and jumpers). I value her and love her but really miss having a forward horse.

I'd like another more sporty competition-y forward type but Im not sure if its a mistake. A place has become available at my yard (spaces come up only every few years as its such a nice yard) and Im seriously considering it but not sure if another will take over my life......

I have the time and the money (Im self employed), no family or husband to worry about - should I go for it or is this a bad idea?

Never had two horses before so no idea really......

wattamus

Visit site
I managed two horses with a full time 9-5 job by myself for a lot of years, there is less time to ride and you do need to be conscious of the attention factor so the original horse doesn’t feel rejected/ left out (believe me they get jealous)
I think if you can afford it then why not but make sure you’ve thought it through and don’t rush into it like I did, I don’t regret one minute of it but it was a very stressful and panicky beginning!

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I asked a similar question a few years ago on here, and had loads of people telling me how it was do-able and not that much more work, people with eleventy-thousand horses who had room for one more...
It was tough, really tough. And expensive. The worst time was when I had 2 lame horses on box rest and hand walking all summer.
I really think it's only practical if you have your own land/stables as you can then manage them any way you like.

irishdraft

Visit site
I was in this exact situation regarding the horses and went out and bought a more forward competition horse for the summer it was very hard work over the winter keeping both fit and hunting every week but am now enjoying out and about competing whilst my hunter is having some down time .

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I love having 2 to ride. I'm down to one in work at the moment (have 4 in total...😳) and I'm bored silly. It does take over your life, but in a good way ;)

Nudibranch

Visit site
50/50...if you've no other commitments financially or time wise, and are sure it'll stay that way then give it a go. You could always sell on if it doesn't work out.
Personally, much as I love them and have had horses for 30 odd years, if I could I'd just have one. But I keep mine at home so one is unfair. In reality it means I feel guilty for not giving them both equal work/attention. I can't as I work 3 days and have a toddler. I can manage to keep one in work at a time, so atm the Fell, who is a cracking ride and drive, is laid off while the Dales prepares for backing 🙄
Once the Dales is going, I'll do ride and lead and then some driving the Fell when I can keep her at a basic level of fitness but it's a continual battle in all honesty!

Reactions: tda

spoo

Visit site
It’s hard, especially during winter. It’s a long old slog. I’ve told myself that I’m never having 2 again. I’ve been down to one for the past 2 years and it was literally like a weight had been lifted. Half the work load, half the expense. Sometimes I catch myself looking at horses for sale and remind myself that I probably have it as good as I ever will with my girlie now. So easy to do, lives on air. Whilst she isn’t my dream horse, she’s perfect for where I am now at my stage in life. I can enjoy having a horse whilst also progressing with having a life financially with a mortgage etc

Melody Grey

Visit site
I think it depends on what types you have- I couldn't manage two that depended on regular work, one is enough sometimes! if they're the types that are ok ticking over so it doesn't put too much pressure on you, that could work. Mine live out which helps as I couldn't afford the cost of livery/ stabling for 2, especially if vets bills appeared for both at once!

I have my horse in pic and my son's pony which I shall doable for me with a full time job....being a single mum!

CavaloBranco

Visit site
If your ID could be ridden less as it is 10 i.e. not a youngster and your new horse isn't either then I'd say go for it. 2 are a lot more work and expense but, as others have said, you could get a sharer or even put one on loan if it gets too difficult.

Chippers1

Visit site
I remember having these thoughts and thinking it would all be fine (esp as mine was retired) but in reality it was hard work as the retired one was EMS/Laminitic so required a very strict routine then 2 months after I got new one he ruptured a tendon so I had the whole summer with one on box rest and one with a strict in/out routine. It wasn't fun! I have to say since losing my old boy it is a lot easier with just one. I do work full time and have a needy cat too who I don't like leaving alone for too long :D
But if you have the time then go for it!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I know plenty of pepple who compete two and seem to make it work. I have had more than 1 for years now and perhaps I just don't know any different but it is fine most of the time.

chaps89

Visit site
I have to say, I don't really understand the logic behind buying another to then get a sharer for one or both of them. More expense and time for someone else's benefit? Plus how many times have we had threads on here where people just can't find good sharers. Seems a bit of a gamble to take.
It's twice the money in virtually all ways, only you know if you can afford that.
Personally I have one of my own then a share horse. Share horse is perfect as it's minimal commitment in the grand scheme of things but gives a bit of variety. I did get lucky and find a good share though!
I think if they both lived out and were easy to do it's not so bad but what if both are out of action at the same time as others have said, or if they're both stabled and really messy - longer to muck out, more bedding etc.

Floofball

Visit site
I’m going through the same as you with the extra problem that my sane sensible laid back horse can only do limited work. I now find myself on a lovely little private yard where I can do my own thing - and there’s a spare stable!! Thing is it’s been so long since I’ve had a horse that can do the work I’m not sure if I would relish doing all the hours in the saddle required to actually go and do??? I would have to keep my lad ticking over as well as not suitable for retirement. This winter was the first in a long time with only one to do and it was sooooo much easier. When I had 2 it was because one was retired, but still kept in a routine, so never had 2 to ride but it was still hard in winter - rehabbing one and keeping old arthritic one mobile.
Anyway after looking around at what was available and starting to daydream about having lessons and competing again, my lad has decided he’s feeling fantastic and let me know he’s up for doing what he can with a spring in his step 😃 so for now I’m going to enjoy him while I can. Think that spare stable is going to keep calling me though 😂

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I bought a second horse last year and I love having two. We have individual turn-out and now my boys go out together and get on really well and I find I don’t have to worry about bringing in times anymore which is fab. I don’t really find it much extra work and I went from having someone doing my one horse Mon-Fri to doing two myself. I also got a rescue dog two weeks after getting my second horse so did go through a bit of an adjustment period!

I have someone who rides my older boy about once or twice a week. I’ve had a few they do some chores and give a fiver per ride towards shoes. It’s casual arrangement but it would be helpful to have someone a bit more regular. It’s lovely when my sisters visit though as we can now ride together. Having the option of 24hr turn out now at my yard has also been great.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
My friend did similar, sold her steady aging cob for something young and sporty, and it all went wrong, she overhorsed herself, took a bad fall, and had to have an op on her shoulder, she was out of action for ages, new horse went to sales livery, sold in weeks, and she wishes she had her old cob back

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
I asked a similar question a few years ago on here, and had loads of people telling me how it was do-able and not that much more work, people with eleventy-thousand horses who had room for one more...
It was tough, really tough. And expensive. The worst time was when I had 2 lame horses on box rest and hand walking all summer.
I really think it's only practical if you have your own land/stables as you can then manage them any way you like.

This 100%. I work full time and have two. My god its hard work and difficult on my wallet. Especially when one was off work and on box rest and in hand walking/cold hosing for the best part of a year. The other still needed ridden.

Yes its great fun and yes I adore them both and would never get rid of them, but its a massive commitment financially and time wise.

both mine are the sort that need stimulation and work though that said, I can't just leave them not worked/ridden for more than a couple of days. I do often get a friend to ride my mare as she is an easy going sane sort, but my gelding is a hot head and really a one rider horse so its hard to find anyone that can manage his quirks. Most people that know him wouldn't ride him (we are all amateurs!) he is sweet through and i do love them both.

Would I advise it? no. Once I have to say goodbye (dreading that day) to one of them I will not be getting another. I am only a happy hacker low level Rider though and I probably ran out of talent long ago!

9tails

Visit site
I asked my farrier this as my horse is now 20, full of beans but I had the crazy thought that she should slow down a bit. He said it wasn't a good idea, because of the health implications should my current horse be pushed to the sidelines. They do a lot better in work than retired if they're sound and happy. If my horse's fieldmate wasn't around anymore though, I would be shooping hard because she needs a friend and I don't want to fit in with other liveries.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I asked my farrier this as my horse is now 20, full of beans but I had the crazy thought that she should slow down a bit. He said it wasn't a good idea, because of the health implications should my current horse be pushed to the sidelines. They do a lot better in work than retired if they're sound and happy. If my horse's fieldmate wasn't around anymore though, I would be shooping hard because she needs a friend and I don't want to fit in with other liveries.

My old guy is 24 and hacked on average about 3 times a week which is plenty for him but schooling now is too hard on him. My new horse is 10 and I’m building a new relationship with him gradually and it’s great to have both.

I took my old guy to an in-hand show at the weekend and left the ginger nut at home so he’s not side-lined at all.

Boys hacking out together
furPn5e.jpg

Weekend show
ErBoP8j.jpg

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
We have 3 horses, the old boy is nearly 22, he's still full of beans, loves to jump, loves dressage, hacking & life in general. The middle one is 15, he loves everything but excels at BS. The younger one can do anything, has beautiful movement & has a jump to die for. We started with one & ended up with 3 & don't let anyone tell you it's easy because it's not. Keeping them all exercised is difficult, mucking out 3, turning out 3 & bringing in 3 all hard work. Was marginally better when we only had 2 but .... It's not always the money, although it costs a fortune, it's not just the time either, it's the commitment you will have to show them for the next 20+ years! They will take over your life. Everything you do you are thinking when you have to be back for the horses, when you can ride, when you can't get there, illness, work commitments etc you have to arrange something else. Someone said to me once "You've got a lovely hobby there with the horses" I told them that she was wrong, it's not a hobby it's a way of life!

Good luck with whatever you decide

Sasana Skye

Visit site
In many ways I actually find having two easier than having one. I'm up the yard early and late in winter so I love that I don't have to worry that my horse is ever going to be left out on their own and it means I can put my two out at 4am without having to ask someone else to do it because there's no other horses out or whatever. I ride and lead out hacking when I want to save time and get them both exercised. Both horses are different and do different jobs. If you have the time and money and you want something in particular that you aren't getting from your current horse then I would say go for it. I told myself that if having two becomes a problem in the future then I'll deal with it there and then - No point wearing an umbrella over your head waiting for it to rain.