2nd jumping pony

footballerswife

Visit site
hiya im new so please bear with me! my daughter is 9, ridden for 4 years, lovely quiet rider but not the bravest in the world. first pony who is with us until he dies was great on lr hunting hacking and won everything showing first ridden but dropped his shoulder jumping awful person but she loves him. 6 months ago got her a pc pony boarding school pony fat and lazy when we got him but straight & kept going by really good adult trainer term time never competed but can jump, would aff. fast and turns but ultra careful doesnt see a stride and stops rather than go badly. she can go out and win everything on a good day. 5 seconds faster in the j/o but hes not push button. i will never part with him, his like my 4th child but id like to get something that will help her out teach her etc. and take both out to shows. any experience ideas? id b really grateful. x

Sparkles

Visit site
Sorry what are you asking for...are you looking for a 2nd jumping pony for her?

Sorry super tired and having a blonde moment lol.

merlinsquest

Visit site
Nope, I didnt get what the question was either
frown.gif

footballerswife

Visit site
yeah take the two out on the lorry. i just dont know what to look for now. old ja? connie? can you find a push button pony in the ads? or do they all have waiting lists? she rides the new pony really well, looks for her jump etc but hes inexperienced too. i want something that we can take to unaff and win. shes only 9. i want her to have fun and it isnt fun if you dont come home with some ribbons. sorry its true. x

Sparkles

Visit site
Where abouts are you based? I have my 13.2 up for sale though he's not a complete novice ride but jumps out of his skin.

Battyoldbint

Visit site
sorry but that last statement really pisses me off,other kids have to work with what they have got,we all want our kids, or grandkids in my place, to win, so we encourage and help them, we dont or cant go out and get 2nd and third ponys that are sure winners, wheres the pride in that.

smirnoff_ice07

Visit site
Tbh i think it's good for kids to learn to go out and have a good time regardless of whether they win or not. Yes it's nice to come home with rosettes, and a push button pony will give her confidence and experience but i think it is better for them to learn to ride a 'normal' pony, much better for her riding to learn to cope with a few quirks and realise that her pony is not a machine.
Don't know what size you are looking for, but connies are great jumping ponies btw!! I have one and he jumps the moon!!

miss_c

Visit site
Hi footballerswife and welcome!

I must agree with everyone else that you would be better off buying a pony that is not push button. That way your child will feel she has achieved more when she is successful. I understand that you want her to do well, but it will be better for her and her riding long term to learn on a slightly trickier pony. Doesn't meant that the pony won't have talent, but that she will have to ride to get the results as opposed to just sitting there while the pony does the work. She will learn more in the long term this way.

You may also find that the 'perfect pony' is near impossible to find. When people have a good pony they very rarely sell them, and if they do then they will be rather pricey.

I agree that it is nice to win (I am always THRILLED when I win a showing class with Genie), but the old saying 'it's not the winning that counts, it's the taking part' is unfortunately being lost and it is such a shame. There seem to be more and more 'trophy hunters' around with the money to buy the perfect pony that is a machine and excellent at it's job. Fair play to them for being able to afford such a pony, but I would have a lot more respect for somebody who worked hard and managed to achieve just about the same results. Not getting at you in anyway, just having a mini rant!!!
laugh.gif

footballerswife

Visit site
thank you all for your comments i regret coming across as a pot hunter but dont we all want to do the best for our children? it is heart breaking when a pony puts in a dirty stop after the child has given him a good shot at a jump and she pops out the side door and has to do the walk of shame! my daughter knows how lucky she is, we never part with our ponies, they are all eating their heads off in luxury and i put in hours like a farm labourer to keep them going during the week. whats the point in doing that for one that doesnt jump if you can buy one that does! i learnt to ride the hard way - my parents werent horsey and had no money so i had the ponies that cost meat money - some of them were down right dangerous! im in essex btw

TGM

Visit site
How much of a stopper is your current pony? If it is an occasional thing, then I would definitely perservere with him and spend your money on lots of jumping lessons with a good trainer rather than a push button pony - your daughter will learn more in the long run and it will stand her in good stead when she goes onto horses. Sounds like she ought to be working on developing a really secure position with a strong lower leg if she is regularly coming off when he stops.

Also, be aware that many ponies that look push button aren't really, they are just being ridden by experienced, assertive children that make it look easy, and may start to stop when ridden by a more nervous rider.

baily

Visit site
how big is the 2nd pony i assume around 12hh if you can get a more compent rider on him every now and then and he will come around quickly if hes honest a novice teaching a novice is never good with ponys as your pony may learn its an easy way back to the horse box and a rest...as for push button ponys they dont teach kids to ride and all good ponys have quirks or they wouldnt be any good at what they do..we have just sold a fantastic 12.2 who has already brought home prizes for there new jockey but she is one hell of an 8yr old jockey but pony is ace but not for the faint hearted but would never think of stopping..keep on with the one your got because when the child gets a rossette its going to be all the sweeter

footballerswife

Visit site
thank you both for your very good advice - we will keep on with this pony, he is a cracker and we love him very much. he is actually a full up 13.2 and she is a bit over horsed but he was too good to miss. also, now he is worked so much more he is very fit and quite strong, he looks like a little event horse! you are right, ponies are so clever and learn so quickly, he knows he wont get a beating but back on the lorry with some haylage! she does have a very good trainer who has said that the pony will teach her to ride exactly because he is not push button. i will get a small very competent teenager on him. and buy her a saddle with big knee rolls! i swear my kieffer has saved my bacon (and shame) many times! thank you x