2nd Ride and all is well - and a question

BBs

Visit site
Snoopy went out for his 2nd ride today, first i popped him in the school and had a brisk trot round and then took him up the road and across to the farm with YO on her pony!

Snoopy was far more lively today! and leaves can be very scary when they blow!! lol

However, he went very well and trotted up the field and through puddles - although puddles do splash and you get your white socks dirty if youre not careful
smirk.gif

Anyhow, took him back in the school when we returned - he by this time was tired! and I had a little trot round - he nearly dislodged me by trying to whip round to see where his mate rocky had gone! (obviously wasnt that tired) but that was quickly nipped in the bud and we continued on our merry way!

He is working very nicely and stepping under/using himself well!

However, I bought him/tried him with a flash - today i took it off! and i think he, although opens his mouth a bit when i asked him to trot in teh school he was far better and softer!

So I dont know what to do atm, he opens his mouth a bit when hacking but was far better not having his mouth strapped together once he relaxed his jaw! but when he does open his mouth obviously i have less control.

What is everyone else inclinded to do (as a general rule?) do you strap down or leave well alone at this stage?

Oh he went out for 15 mins in his paddock - he thoroughly enjoyed his roll! and is now covered
smirk.gif
he shall hopefully be out full time come the weekend! just a bit worried abotu turning him out with my two straight away and me not being there!

Have pics of me riding and him in the field - will post later

tigers_eye

Visit site
I'd either leave the flash off or put on a drop noseband but not too tight - just so that f he does open he comes into contact with it and thinks a bit about it - not so it's holding his nose closed if you see what I mean. Glad to hear he's nice!

seabiscuit

Visit site
He sounds gorgeous BB's! You are going to be going back to eventing next year arent you-? Or have we lost you to the BSJA!

I would leave the flash off- think once he realises that the flash is no longer there and he knows and understands how you ride him all the tension will go ( will take a day or two) and he'll be more comfty and quiet in his mouth

Alibear

Visit site
He's still only a babyd so personally I'd make sure teeth were all ok and then I'd leave the flash off , he should (in theory) stop opening his mouth as he grows up and learns to trust the contact etc more.

S_N

Visit site
I was just going to suggest maybe trying a drop, but I was beaten to it! IMO drops are a much underused and now 'un-fashionable' piece of kit, that work and are in many ways kinder to the horse.

SillyMare

Visit site
Dressage is not my strong point so I'm sure others will confirm / deny this (will be interested in the answers actually).

I don't use a flash at all - was influenced by Jane Bartle at the YRC who seems to strip off all forms of gadgetry.

She made the point that the flash may stop them opening their mouths wide, but it gives them something to tense their jaw against. The tension in the jaw will be perfectly obvious to any decent judge. Through consistent schooling they should relax the jaw and accept the bit better anyway.

In fairness Lexi always gets marked down for fighting me - maybe I should use a flash (I do wonder about that sometimes).

I certainly wouldn't be averse to use of a flash if it were a control issue.

Tempi

Visit site
oooooo im so glad hes going well for you
smile.gif

Archie didnt have a flash when i tried him and i got him a comfort bridle, but one with a cavesson noseband - when im lunging him in it he does tend to open his mouth a bit, but when im on him he dosent. id rather see them without one on to be honest................

BBs

Visit site
Thanks guys!

Thats what Im inclined to do at this stage! I know winston was bought wearing a flash and as soon as i took it off i had a far better, steady contact
smile.gif
he too opens his mouth occasionally but is better that than having it shut as that just makes him worse!

Ali I have dentist coming soon, she was at Aldon on Friday so I asked her to come and see him - check for anything dodgy etc
smile.gif

Hi SB! I didnt realise you were at Aldon
frown.gif
you shoudl have come and said hello!!!

Umm undecided yet! as it stands he will bsja over the winter as hes already been doing BN! I will do some dressage also, plus some xc schooling etc - I aim to take him to some BYEH classes and obviously would like to get him running in PAVO if hes bold enough for xc - however, hes a bit of bold lad! but I just dont know! the guy i bought him from said he would event next year no worries! and he hasnt been wrong yet!

Madam_max

Visit site
I normally hack Corroy in a flash and try to school without one. She doesn't really like a flash and her noseband is normally quite loose. I alternate a bit, if she is being a bit off a mo I might school her for a week or so with one and he reminds her. Even when her flash is on it's loose as it is enough to remind her.

ClaireH78

Visit site
I took the flash off my horse and never looked back!

My instructor many years ago took it off my very first horse that I rode and since then I always try horses without it first. A lot of bridles come with flash nosebands (fashion I think?) and I ta lot of the time riders / owners just use it because its on the bridle rather than thinking about why they use it and if they do indeed need one.

It took me a long time to find a cavasson nose band bridle as everything had flashes on.

Tempi

Visit site
ditto - it took me ages to find a comfort bridle without a flash noseband, i got a rhinegold one off ebay in the end, which wasnt cheap as there were a lot of bidders on it (obviously other people with the same problem!!)

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
If you need to keep his mouth closed out hacking try a grackle or a drop, both are, so I am told, more comfortable for the horse than a flash as neither put pressure on the teeth/cheeks.

One of mine does all his flatwork and dressage in a cavesson but any fast work or jumping in a mexican grackle, the youngster only wears a cavesson at present.

Parkranger

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I took the flash off my horse and never looked back!

[/ QUOTE ] Is that because he bolted off?
grin.gif

Seriously I've just put one on my boy as he goes around the school like a fish! Seems to work on him but I think he's beginning to get the hump with it....

Horsey sounds lovely though! x

BBs

Visit site
Mm interesting thought Mrs T about the grackle! I have a mexican i could use - never ever purchased a drop noseband!

He could just bring his head up above the vertical! so I felt a little exposed if you know what i mean! but i am still not sticking a martingale on him yet! ive jumped him without and he never lifts his head when cantering.

I may try the grackle option (as i dont have a drop) just for hacking purposes
smile.gif
he seems to like his KK tho!

ClaireH78

Visit site
I was going to ask you where you got your comfort bridle from as I want one and have only found flash ones so far.

Will check out ebay!

teapot

Visit site
Sounds fab BBs

My old pony was in a flash but I took it off and found he went much better, yes he still opened his gob on occasions but he just seemed to settle much quicker without one