2nd viewing - some knuckling over

dixie

Visit site
I've found a horse I would like to buy. It is subject to vetting though
I had a second viewing today and hacked him out. However although he was nicely forward he did knuckle over in front a fair few times- about 1/2 dozen I suppose. He is currently barefoot behind which I felt might have made him a little uncomfortable
I'm not sure how much I should read into this, he didn't do it at the weekend when tried in the school. Presumably the flexion tests will sort this issue out.
Any experiences or words of wisdom ?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Unless he looked overdue for shoeing (in which case I would want him reshod before vetting) yes I would be concerned that something was overlying. IME if a barefoot horse is feeling it's feet it doesn't result in knuckling over.

dixie

Visit site
No it didn’t feel like a foot think to be fair.
I’ve just spoken to previous owner and she’s says he’s been sore in the past behind the shoulders due to saddle issue. If the saddles pinching I think this could cause tripping. This makes sense as he’s with a dealer so has any old saddle on.
Hopefully all will be clear at the vetting.

be positive

Visit site
No it didn’t feel like a foot think to be fair.
I’ve just spoken to previous owner and she’s says he’s been sore in the past behind the shoulders due to saddle issue. If the saddles pinching I think this could cause tripping. This makes sense as he’s with a dealer so has any old saddle on.
Hopefully all will be clear at the vetting.

If you go ahead with a vetting do make sure you speak to the vet about this before he gets there, unless you are there in person, that way he will take extra care to look at the front feet and flag up any issues, not everything will be picked up at a vetting but by being aware the horse has tripped should ensure the vet takes a bit more notice.
That said I am not sure I would be that happy buying a horse that knuckled over 6 times on one hack, once or twice I may ignore but unless the feet were really long I am not that forgiving, yes a badly fitting saddle may not help but it is easy to make excuses when you want a new horse, did the previous owner tell you why he has ended up in the hands of a dealer?.

dixie

Visit site
It didn’t get as far as the vetting as the seller pulled out today . Says he didn’t want his horse x-rayed. Says it all really !
Buying horses is soooo difficult......