3.5 AUTOMATIC Horsebox

Clannad48

Visit site

ROG

Visit site
Is there a reason that the driver only has auto on licence ?

If possible to upgrade to manual then consider doing B+E manual

turnbuckle

Visit site
Was going to suggest much the same.....

If auto is a neccesity, if you can find an old wagon with a body which would demount easily you could buy an auto chassis and do a body swap.

Auto box swap likely to be insanely expensive.

What sort of budget do you have, and do you need living?

Clannad48

Visit site
Was going to suggest much the same.....

If auto is a neccesity, if you can find an old wagon with a body which would demount easily you could buy an auto chassis and do a body swap.

Auto box swap likely to be insanely expensive.

What sort of budget do you have, and do you need living?

Ok - Daughter only has an automatic licence due to previous left leg injury which means that even if she could obtain a manual licence she would be unable to get insurance due to medical issues - we have investigated this so not a possibility.

Currently looking at a budget of maximum 15k and do not need living, the box must be able to take a large 17-18h warmblood who is long in the body as well so small van conversions are not possible, we need headroom and length in the horse stall area. It seems that there are plenty of manual boxes out there for a lot less that our budget. Automatic boxes seem to be at least 8k more so even if a gearbox change was 4k it would still make sense. We have and are constantly trawling the internet but so far with no luck for what we want, which is why I thought it might be an idea to come on here to ask.

meesha

Visit site
Could you get a one built? Not van style but box style if that makes sense, ask converter to source you a manual vehicle for them to then convert. Not sure if this would be in budget but worth investigating.

turnbuckle

Visit site
OK. Will make a couple of calls and try and get an idea of price on the auto conversion. Lots of options out there.

PM me if you want a more detailed discussion.

Clannad48

Visit site
Thanks, we have seen one box that looks possible that is a fair whack under our budget and are going to talk to our mechanic to see what he thinks about the gearbox change - looking at the internet is does seem possible but most of the sites talk about doing it yourself - which is definitely not a possibility :)

turnbuckle

Visit site
See what yr mechanic says, I'm not optimistic. First two calls suggested £6 to 7000. There is a HUGE amount of work involved.

I think you will find one, it's just like waiting for a bus!

Body swap idea a lot better I think. Do PM me, I really enjoy this sort of thing!

EmmaB

Visit site
Dont know where you are but 3 counties will source a van for you and then convert it into a horse box, could you do something like that? Find an automatic van and have the back built how you want? No idea on price though!

xgemmax

Visit site
Dont know where you are but 3 counties will source a van for you and then convert it into a horse box, could you do something like that? Find an automatic van and have the back built how you want? No idea on price though!

I got mine from three counties, they were brilliant and do it to how you want it. Not sure on sizing though as mine would only fit max 16.2, unless they could make the horse part the majority of the van, not sure how it works but worth an ask. Mine was well under 15k too

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Looking at 3 Counties site they appear to literally do a van conversion & this would definately not be suitable for the size of horse the OP has. OP's horse is between 17 & 18 hands.