3.5 side loading horsebox owners

Laura2408

Visit site
Can I ask what your boxes have in place to stop the second horse from just stepping out onto the ramp?

First horse is secured by the partition but the second isn’t secure until the ramp is up but has discovered standing on the ramp with the hind legs is the best option so I can’t close said ramp😂
A couple of the horses have also tried to leap off as I’m opening the ramp and it would be better to have something holding the hindquarters in until I’m ready to unload. Never had this issue before as I normally only take one but I’m starting to take 2 now.

Any ideas or photos would be great!

CMcC

Visit site
I have the same design of box. It is OK for now because one of mine is happy to stand in the outside slot and then gives me an “it’s OK to put the ramp up now” look. But it does worry me if wanted to travel another pony and would like to see what is out there.
Sorry Laura, haven’t answered your question.

Laura2408

Visit site
Scats is yours an equisport? Mine also has the bar however it takes two people to manage as one needs to hold the bar while the other stops the horse swinging the quarters out of that makes sense.

I was wondering if scrapping the bar and getting a swinging partition door type thing to hold them in would be easier?

scats

Visit site
Scats is yours an equisport? Mine also has the bar however it takes two people to manage as one needs to hold the bar while the other stops the horse swinging the quarters out of that makes sense.

I was wondering if scrapping the bar and getting a swinging partition door type thing to hold them in would be easier?

Mines an equibabe. In all fairness, I only ever travel one so they aren’t that close to it really. I have had to work with Millie though as she had a habit of swinging right round so her back legs were on the ramp. I have taught her to stand in position until the bar goes up. It took two of us for a while and lots of use of the word ‘stand’, but she’s pretty good now.

Micropony

Visit site
Mine has half height doors. Only quite flimsy and wouldn't stand up to a horse getting upset, but it's enough to stop a horse on the ramp side absentmindedly putting a foot in the hinge as you're trying to lift the ramp.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I only ever travelled one and my old lorry had gates in front of the ramp which is the best solution in my view, although the horse always travelled behind the partition as that was the bit behind the drivers side, I hired one once that had the ramp on the opposite side so the horse should travel nearest the ramp and it just had a strap infront of the ramp and to be honest I wasn't that happy about it, it just didn't seem very secure and I didn't like the fact they can get there feet onto the ramp once the ramp is down.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I just wanted to add I think the lack of doors in front of the ramp these days is down to weight, a lot of companies want to have boxes with the maximum payload so they have have sort of done without which I honestly think compromises safety.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I only take one as even with a 14hh, by the time I've got native pony, gubbins, fuel, me and a friend in, I'd be sailing very close to the wind (or over!) to put a 2nd one on for the 1100kg max allowance I have.

However, I got the builder to make me mini ramp gates which lift off. So, if I need to take one of the tinies, I can pop the doors back on again.

gallopingby

Visit site
I have a very wide strap about 18” that hooks across each side, with a clip on the top and bottom. Can either be taken off completely or hooked back. It’s attached with shackles st one end. Also had the option if a metal bar but decided this was better choice. It probably wouldn’t hold a determined horse in but allows you to put up the ramp safely.

Boulty

Visit site
I've got a heavy duty chain (with a tube of rubber covering it) with clips on the ends that's maybe about chest height. I've never had anything trying to step off onto the ramp once its in place. Bonus is you can put it across & then duck under it easily. Have also seen designs with a metal bar or of course you could go for loading gates that fold in. I really don't like the boxes that have nothing there at all as I'd worry about the horse trying to climb out as you're putting the ramp down (or indeed making it difficult to put the ramp up!) In theory with the chain I have they could still decide to put their foot in an awkward place but not their whole body