3.5 ton Horsebox - no breast bar

PetalPower

Visit site
Just wondering what people's views are on 3.5 ton boxes with no breast bar. Having witnessed horses attempting to jump over the breast bar and owning a horse who potentially could (probably not but erring on the side of safety!) try to climb over the breast bar how do people feel about the horse having nothing to rest their chest against?

I know they will obviously brace against the bulkhead when braking and I like the idea that they have nothing to attempt to climb over but wondered how people with them have found them to be.

Thanks in advance for any advice/info!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
As long as the horse travels backwards then they are fine, and much safer IMO. Most bog boxes that travel herringbone don't have any beast bar, and people seem to accept that.

If you travel forwards they need a breast bar to prevent face planting the front of the box in an emergency stop.

One disadvantage is that you can't have a tack locker protruding into the horse compartment. For me though, that was an acceptable compromise for having a clear horse compartment with nothing to jump on/over. It also makes it easier to tack up in the box.

Many professional transporters prefer the stallion stall set up for safety.

texenstar

Visit site
My 3.5t horsebox was set up with stallion partitions (so no breast bar) and no horse I had in it ever had an issue with the setup. It actually let them have more room length ways and you don't have to worry about them getting stuck on the breast bar :) I had saddle/bridle racks in the back by the rear door instead of in a tack box. It all worked together well.