3.5T 2 Horse Boxes

sportsmansB

Visit site
We are getting one of these 3.5t 2 Horse boxes, and I was wondering if those who have them already could share their views on what they like about the layout, chassis, Horse power and so on, what they would change if doing it again, etc etc?

There are so many options when getting them built and I know that I, anyway, often find out later that 'I wish I had....' as it is only when using something regularly that the little snags start to appear!

This may be useful for anyone else considering the same thing!
I am suspicious that the only reason the OH has suggested it is so that I can drive us everywhere and especially take the kids to Pony Club - but as all we have otherwise is a 9 horse HGV or a trailer with a rather unreliable jeep it probably does make sense!!!

Thanks in advance...

magicgirl

Visit site
I think that one of the most important things is to check what the weight of the vehicle is with a full tank of fuel and a partition ( if used ) so that you know exactly what you can carry. Make sure that you have a good idea what weight you will put in it including driver passangers horses tack and all the other things we need to carry.

mazziek

Visit site
i was speaking to a guy yesterday who deals in lorry comversions trailers etc he told me 3.5 tonnes can be very dangerous. he mentioned my pals one as it had plywood between living area and horses he stated any sharp breaking and the horse would have been in living area, she changed t 7.5tonne. the problem is apparently you cant put steel beams at to prevent this. Just somethng for you t bear in mind

xena_wales

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
the problem is apparently you cant put steel beams at to prevent this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lots of the ones for sale say they've got steel reinforced bulkheads, and one of the manufacturer's websites actually show the steel box section reinforcing being put it.

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
If I had any choice I would go for a theault - they are price and rarely come onto the second hand market but I think they are the best design . They are light inside and are well padded on the sides and partition. The grooms door at the back is wide enough to get a horse out if they did decide to try and jump the breat bar. The clincher of me is the door design (I haven't seen it on any other boxes but stnad to be corrected) the top part opens like a cupboard so nothing is directly above the horses head so its better for nervy or bad loaders. The one I use drives really nicely and is pretty economical on the fuel.

dwi

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the problem is apparently you cant put steel beams at to prevent this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lots of the ones for sale say they've got steel reinforced bulkheads, and one of the manufacturer's websites actually show the steel box section reinforcing being put it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine has got steel bulkheads in it although it only has enough weight left to allow me to carry one horse.

ttt

Visit site
My side ramp opens upwards. It creates a sort of umbrella shade for the sun and the rain. I much prefer it to the side opening flaps that need to be pinned back so firmly that they are really hard to close again.
Also when the side openers are open, you can't get into the cab or the tack locker. I can get in and out of my cab and external tack locker with the top open.
Each to their own I suppose.