3.5T HORSEBOXES - STORAGE/MESS/ETC

Visit site
So, I have finally put a deposit on a 3.5t horsebox that ticks *almost* all of our boxes.
Before buying, I have done soo much research in terms of hiring and borrowing and travelling in literally any kind of box that I can.
We have come to the conclusion that my boy travels best in a rear facing box with breech bar and his head open into the jockey area. I was hoping this wasn’t the case as I am slightly nervous of him ever climbing over, although he’s a very good traveller and I’m not sure he’s clever enough to even think about it to be honest.
Nevertheless, I have found a box with an emergency exit at the back and proper wide van doors so should the nightmare happen, I can chuck him straight off if need be lol.
Now this means that I’ve lost a lot of storage as can’t have cupboards etc in the back as would completely defeat the object of the emergency door.
Please please can you give me some storage ideas/show me yours/any ideas on how NOT TO GET HAY OVER EVERYTHING pleaseeee?
I would have loved one with a full wall and separate jockey area but unfortunately my boy just hates them. I think he feels enclosed so I have bit the bullet and done what’s best for him :)
Ideas on a postcard please :D

Attachments

• 494143B5-580F-4ED1-AC8B-C4644968F8BC.jpeg
    494143B5-580F-4ED1-AC8B-C4644968F8BC.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 62

phizz4

Visit site
I'm assuming that, as a van conversion, it is side loading. Could you fit a locker at head height on each side, above the windows, like those found in motor homes and caravans. Or, could you fit two lockers to the back doors, on the upper panel. Those would swing out of the way when the doors are open. If you must keep the jockey area clear you are struggling. A removable tack box on wheels might be the best bet, on the floor, drag it out of the way if the horse escapes. You could fit a pull-out roller blind, as fitted to estate cars, onto the rear of the partition, to catch the hay and, as suggested above, have storage boxes underneath.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I had a different problem as my horse is better not seeing anything.
I made an awning from heavy cotton material. It is fixed by a bar slotted in the holes above the back doors. I use 4 ties to fix it to the breast bar and also fix it to the low rings I have part way along the ‘living’. It catches the hay etc and will rip in an emergency.

If you have side windows your horse will still be able to see out.
You could make yours fit from the breast bar and fasten it lower. It would be similar to the cover used in the luggage area of an estate car.

Storage is in the 2 wheel arch boxes with a big plastic box for small things on top. There is a piece of pipe screwed to the wheel arch box for whips. Jackets, saddle, bridles and a bag for wet stuff hang on the doors. Water, muck bucket and spare wheel are on the floor. The emergency door opens over the spare wheel. I have never used the Luton cupboard. The picnic etc is in the cab.

Last edited:
Visit site
I had a different problem as my horse is better not seeing anything.
I made an awning from heavy cotton material. It is fixed by a bar slotted in the holes above the back doors. I use 4 ties to fix it to the breast bar and also fix it to the low rings I have part way along the ‘living’. It catches the hay etc and will rip in an emergency.

If you have side windows your horse will still be able to see out.
You could make yours fit from the breast bar and fasten it lower. It would be similar to the cover used in the luggage area of an estate car.

Storage is in the 2 wheel arch boxes with a big plastic box for small things on top. There is a piece of pipe screwed to the wheel arch box for whips. Jackets, saddle, bridles and a bag for wet stuff hang on the doors. Water, muck bucket and spare wheel are on the floor. The emergency door opens over the spare wheel. I have never used the Luton cupboard. The picnic etc is in the cab.
Sounds like exactly what I need! Do you have any pictures at all please??

Visit site
I'm assuming that, as a van conversion, it is side loading. Could you fit a locker at head height on each side, above the windows, like those found in motor homes and caravans. Or, could you fit two lockers to the back doors, on the upper panel. Those would swing out of the way when the doors are open. If you must keep the jockey area clear you are struggling. A removable tack box on wheels might be the best bet, on the floor, drag it out of the way if the horse escapes. You could fit a pull-out roller blind, as fitted to estate cars, onto the rear of the partition, to catch the hay and, as suggested above, have storage boxes underneath.
Oooh I love the locker idea!! Definitely worth thinking about and asking the OH very nicely to do some building lol. Thank you!

Meredith

Visit site

No pictures at the moment, sorry. I would take some for you but HHO tells me my photos are to big. I used photoresize to make some smaller but it still didn’t work. Any suggestions as to how I could send photos? Thanks

oldie48

Visit site
I took a different approach and had something made to prevent the horse going into the back. It can be dropped down and put up once the horse is aboard and is brilliant at keeping the hay in the horse area but still gives me acess to the lockers and floor spaceWQoShXYz81ZlOFNSa6_zr5g8QD3rnXTy9RDuq0EkWreSQpWrp8_w0qUXFykCdPRQIo6j9alPNYClH2lY_kZxFfAu3F5PQB...jpgfQXSa_HyJaX4n7e6ueeNPiRWKRspLvFhLRCiYHy97W6Xi7qw_PxqVP3j_8HZxLVRlWPNGoLDF_MkMDV4aExhSTQz9Zx_sH...jpg

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
I used to have a van conversion and my Dad made me a Hay Hammock to catch most of the hay dropped from the net / my cob's mouth and contain it. Simply cut from a thick cotton dust sheet with a pole at each side with a hole at each end so I could tie it to the window bars which meant it was sat under the haynet and horse's head.

Meredith

Visit site

Photos as requested. This catches hay and blocks view out of rear doors. My horse is very reactive to horses passing when we are parked hence side curtains too. You have to take care as the sheet can billow if the wind blows in the back.

Attachments

• IMG_1372_70small.jpg
    IMG_1372_70small.jpg
    974.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1374_1_70small.jpg
    IMG_1374_1_70small.jpg
    1,012 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1375_70small.jpg
    IMG_1375_70small.jpg
    642 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Visit site
Photos as requested. This catches hay and blocks view out of rear doors. My horse is very reactive to horses passing when we are parked hence side curtains too. You have to take care as the sheet can billow if the wind blows in the back.
Great thank you!! And I can imagine not overly expensive to put together either! :)