3 horses - what do we think?

Nats_uk

Visit site
A friend of mine is looking to get a horse for himself and his OH. She wants something safe she can hack, he wants something that will pop round a 3ftish course of fences.
What do we think to these 3 horses? They are going to the Duckhurst for a show this weekend hence looking from there to start with
Clemence
Piebald gelding,15.1hh, 8yrs
Really good natured cob that is steady and well mannered to ride. Excellent to hack alone or in company and is very good in big open spaces! He jumps nicely and will happily jump coloured or natural fences. Ideal for a novice rider as he is sensible and calm. Very good to handle in all ways.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PeamxFOFkY
£3250

Bally
15.2hh, 6 years old coloured gelding, Irish sport horse.
Fabulous out cross country and has hunted in Ireland. Bold and brave but not strong.
Jumping at local shows sucessfully.
Excellent manners and easy to handle.
Very good with traffic.
Snaffle mouth in all spheres.
Will make a great riding club/teenagers horse.
http://youtu.be/XFSbVc-VrZk
£3250

Broderick
Brown Gelding, 5yrs, 15.3hh
Super cob that has done tons of hunting and xc and he has competed at local shows. Very good natured and is super to hack and handle in all ways. He has a super jump and is very bold and easy to ride. Snaffle mouth at all times and will happily go 1st or last. No vices in or out of the stable. Good to box, catch, shoe.
http://youtu.be/Ph6ZidalUqU
£3,500

scheherazade

Visit site
Not sure how big your friend is but if a full grown male (6ft ish) I would guess that 15.1 and 15.2 might be a little small, unless they are chunky types that will take up a fair amount of leg? Good luck with your search

Nats_uk

Visit site
Not sure how big your friend is but if a full grown male (6ft ish) I would guess that 15.1 and 15.2 might be a little small, unless they are chunky types that will take up a fair amount of leg? Good luck with your search

Lol - he is actually quite short, about 5ft 3 I think

jenz87

Visit site
You dont say how experienced they are...theres a big difference between someone wanting a nice safe hack, and some one who is just wanting to hack.
If they are relatively novice and just want a nice safe allrounder id go for 1.

If they are more experienced id go for 3, but id be worried that it was a bit young perhaps.

Nats_uk

Visit site
You dont say how experienced they are...theres a big difference between someone wanting a nice safe hack, and some one who is just wanting to hack.
If they are relatively novice and just want a nice safe allrounder id go for 1.

If they are more experienced id go for 3, but id be worried that it was a bit young perhaps.

The guy is a BSJA course builder, UKCC level 2 coach and competed up to Foxhunters in the past. The woman has competed up to Fox in the past but now just enjoys being a happy hacker.

Just trying to get fresh eyes on these horses - I have my opinions but interested on what others think

ihatework

Visit site
Well I wouldn't be looking to buy from Duckhurst! But that aside ..

Assuming the were vetted by and independant vet (not Duckhursts) and pass I would say ..

Clemence - nice kick along type, but looks very limited in ability so may not suit the man for jumping

Bally - I dislike. Gut feeling is that it will be tricky.

Broderick - looks a bit weak and not keen on front limb action, he is green but I like his attitude from what I've seen. In terms of attitude/type I would say he would be the most suitable of the 3, but if you could get him 2 years older and straighter in front you'd be on to a winner

ScratchyMooMoo

Visit site
If I had to choose one of the three to try and do both jobs I'd say number 3, I think he looks quite a smart little horse too, he moves quite nicely behind, but I'd like to see him jump properly if you want to be jumping 3ish courses. Number 1 looks a nice hack but I don't think he will be the best jumper, just due to his build and movement, he may struggle SJing at 3ft. Number 2 looks quite green and sparky, I reckon it could possibly get a bit wizzy in time maybe, which might not be the best if you want a quiet hack! Advertised as a fun teenagers horse also is a good indication of the market they think this horse would suit too! So Number 3 would be my choice IF I was going to buy one of these for two very different jobs.

First Time Mum

Visit site
Horse 1 - not very nice leg confirmation - however looks safe as houses ideal plod, would hunt. TBH can't see him making it round a 3 foot course very often
Horse 2 - looks more suited to jumping - quite like it but looks rather backward for a 6 year old - bit of schooling required
Horse 3 - looks a cool hunting cob with a bit more life about it.

Booboos

Visit site
To be honest I would look for a fourth option! No 1 is too ploddy, I don't think a more confident rider would enjoy him, no 2 looks very green, he looks like he knows absolutely nothing in terms of schooling and no 3 strikes me as a bit needlessly worried and potentially also very green.

Tempi

Visit site
Non of them unfortunately. The first one looks really lazy and doubt it would get round a 3ft course very easily. The 2nd one im not keen on its legs or how its put together and it looks like it could be quirky (dont like the way its ridden but thats another story!), the 3rd is the best but still not that keen....

Im not sure I would buy from there either.....

Mince Pie

Visit site
Out of the 3 I like the bay cob. The coloured's rider is awful! Although for a youngish horse cantering in an open field and ignoring that lower leg swinging all over the place says a lot to me. Depends on what type of a hack the lady wants? If she was jumping fox then I would think she doesn't want a complete plod - but something forward but safe (which brings me back to the bay cob!)?

tabithakat64

Visit site
None of them look particularly suitable TBH. I grey the last one is the best of the three but he's quite 'looky' in those video's so would possibly not be the safest hack.

You can that something far nicer than those in the current market for that price. If your friends are set on using a dealer I can recommend Clip Clop Traders.

CBAnglo

Visit site
Non of them unfortunately. The first one looks really lazy and doubt it would get round a 3ft course very easily. The 2nd one im not keen on its legs or how its put together and it looks like it could be quirky (dont like the way its ridden but thats another story!), the 3rd is the best but still not that keen....

Agree with this. Although I dont think the riding helped (why is everyone pulling on the outside rein!)

Also, the 3rd one looks to have a long weak back.

Nat you tricked me - for a minute there I thought you were looking!!!

Nats_uk

Visit site
Agree with this. Although I dont think the riding helped (why is everyone pulling on the outside rein!)

Also, the 3rd one looks to have a long weak back.

Nat you tricked me - for a minute there I thought you were looking!!!

Ha ha I wish - far too skint for that (and they are too small for me!!)

Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed the "interesting" riding - especially on the coloured.

How are you stranger anyway?

Firewell

Visit site
I don't like any of them tbh. The first one too ploddy and the other two are just not schooled well at all. Also what are the videos showing off? That a horse can trot/canter around an overgrazed paddock bending to the outside and with it's head in the riders face?! Nice.
I liked no.3 face but he looked like the rider was trying to keep the lid on him when being ridden.

No I'm sure for 3-4k they can get a much nicer, well schooled allrounder then those 3.

CBAnglo

Visit site
Ha ha I wish - far too skint for that (and they are too small for me!!)

Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed the "interesting" riding - especially on the coloured.

How are you stranger anyway?

Yes, bit of a come down after the fabulous Mr B!! (he would have suited them much more than any of these 3!!)

I'm ok - we shall have to catch up properly and you must come visit the boys! Let me know when you are free!

MadisonBelle

Visit site
Well I wouldn't be looking to buy from Duckhurst! But that aside ..

Assuming the were vetted by and independant vet (not Duckhursts) and pass I would say ..

Clemence - nice kick along type, but looks very limited in ability so may not suit the man for jumping

Bally - I dislike. Gut feeling is that it will be tricky.

Broderick - looks a bit weak and not keen on front limb action, he is green but I like his attitude from what I've seen. In terms of attitude/type I would say he would be the most suitable of the 3, but if you could get him 2 years older and straighter in front you'd be on to a winner

Got my best ever horse (so far) from Duckhurst! Cheap as chips 16h 7 yr old Dutch Warmblood... Won money at her first ever BS(JA) and also WON her first ever BE PN (no intro back in the day). Had her for 12 years til I lost her and was still out competing the week before she died and was as tough as they come.

A good horse can be found there, and mostly anywhere if you keep your eyes open and then pounce quickly. ;)

meesha

Visit site
agree with others that I would be looking for 4th option - def not no. 1 too ploddy - no. 3 very smart looking but none of them looked overly impressive and I wonder why they are not shown jumping a combination or course ! for that money you can def get much more - and if chap wants to do 3ft then I would expect a very good xc and sj jumping vid ! hope it all works out for them x

cavalo branco

Visit site
Keep looking!! Echo other's views - No 3 looks very close in front and has a dish action - sure that's a recipe for soundness problems - No 2, badly schooled and something ungenuine and No 1, prob my favourite but not for 3 foot jumping, ok for slow hacking :(:(

superpony

Visit site
Agree with everyone on the 4th option. 1st - looks genuine very safe ideal for quiet hacking but doubt it will jump 3ft courses judging at how it struggled over the small log. 2nd - he looks like hes buzzy and very green could be difficult. 3rd - really don't like his action in front.

Good luck with the search. :)

angelish

Visit site
i read the comments before i watch the vids :eek:
i don't think any of them are that bad but i do think they are all quite green and well over priced ,you would get something far better and cheaper through a private seller although i understand that would be more of a faff than looking at a few in the same place ;)

moodymare1987

Visit site
I dont particularly like any of those, first looks like would be suited for a quieter life, Second one didnt like just from the first couple of seconds on the video.
And the last one seems a bit green which isnt a big deal at all, but looks to me a little long in the body. I would think you could find nicer elsewhere for around similar prices.