3 ring snaffles, pro's and con's please

beaconhorse

Visit site
Beacon goes better because it really gets him up and light infront BUT I worry incase this is 'false' as was the case with his pelham

In a snaffle he is mostly heavy and resistant I had intended to keep going regardless but as I am hunting tomorrow needed more brakes so tried the 3 ring snaffle on the 2nd ring. Huge improvement so light in front and soft

squid35

Visit site
I think that bitting very much depends on the horse.

you can read up on what bits are spose to do but as i have found out this is not always the case.

My horse is very strong, and tends to lean as he is getting stronger. i tried him in a three ring and he hated it! stuck his head betweek his knees and bucked! (this is not him at all)

I now hav a combination of bits as he evades them after a while and i find it very sucessfull.

St home i ride in a sweet iron french ling ALL the time, but when jumping i combine a pelham (his fav) an english gag (when ive lost all control) and a drop waterford which seems to do the trick as he finds it hard to lean on!

Good luck hunting tomo, let us know how you get on!

sorona

Visit site
My boy goes lovely on the 2nd ring too but goes hollow and resists if i put it up or down. he absolutely hates a fulmer bit, even with the same mouth peice and even keeps his teeth together to prevent me getting it in. Sometimes you should go with the horse and what he seems to like and trust him. I do change to a baulcher snafle at times as there are some times that the other bit is inappropriate but i dont like the feel of him in it!

fairhill

Visit site
Pro's - your horse is light, soft and responsive and got brakes.
Cons's - are there any?

If it works for you and helps, then why not use it? You might find that if you use this for a while, it'll help him get the hang of carrying himself properly and he goes better when you put a snaffle back in.

Alibear

Visit site
Hi, if you find it works and your horse likes it then for gods sake use it!

Really all bits have the plus and minus points.

But for general schooling go back to a normal snaffle if you can.

(my dressage friend tool her horse hunting and every time she passed the lorry she added more tack in an attempt to create some breaks on her GP horse! Hunting changes things IMHO
smile.gif
)

serena2005

Visit site
by a 3 ring snaffle i take it you mean a dutch gag?
they are desgined to bring the horses head up. i put one on my cob and it does encourage him in to a false out line. thats why i dont use it anymore, apart from when i take him xc and need some extra breaks!

the dutch is very sevre with one rein, either ride with two reins one on the top and one on the bottom, or but roundings on the top and bottom so you only have to use one rein.

makes the bit a little less harsh

flyingfeet

Visit site
Actually the 3 ring gag puts the head down not up through poll pressure.

Gag is a misnomer in both this and the American gag. If you want to lift the head you have to swap to a running gag or true elevator.

IMHO if the horse likes it and goes well, run with it.
Horses get bored and due to the sensitive nature of the mouth a change often does them all good. I also prefer different bits for different diciplines.

Frazer

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Actually the 3 ring gag puts the head down not up through poll pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what it did to my mare, have only recently used this to bring her lighter in front as she flattens and rushes towards fences. This does make her lighter but doesn't raise her head up, although that is what most places advertise them as! On my old pony this bit would make him rear if used on anything other than the snaffle ring! Bitting is such a difficult subject and is really trail and error.