3 scenarios - WWYD?

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
OK guys, you could you tell me what you think you would do in the following scenarios?

1) Horse with spinal cord compression in the neck. Causing the horse constant pain and meaning that she has limited control over her hindquarters. Has been known to 'flip out' from the pain. Options are PTS or surgery (bagby basket) which has a 70% chance of improving the horse by 2 neurological grades, making her almost normal in terms of body control and taking away the pain. Downside of surgery is that the other 30% usually can't get up following surgery and are PTS.

2) Horse as above, but also with Kissing Spines throughout the back (thoracic vertebrae, so saddle area). Options for KS are surgery (70% success rate) or steroid injections, both accompanied by intensive physio.

3) Horse with KS, but supposing the neck issue is cleared as being arthritic changes with no bearing on the spinal cord. Options for neck include steroids and physio.

The horse is a 6yo TB who is immensely talented and gives you the feeling that you could take on the world together.

What would you do?! Don't spare my feelings.
frown.gif

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
OMG what a horrid situation
frown.gif

I think if it were me I'd do the following:

Scenario 1 - I'd have her PTS.

Scenario 2 - I'd try the surgery as you potentially have nothing to lose (provided there was adequate insurance in place).

Scenario 3 - I suppose the surgery issue would still be there but the neck issue would need to be thoroughly checked out to make sure there would be a reasonable chance at a decent quality of life.

Hugs to you both - this must be an awful waiting game
frown.gif
frown.gif

lochpearl

Visit site
Get it thoroughly investigated and operate. The horse is not well and in pain and the wrose case scenario is that she is pts if it goes wrong.

If you want to give her the chance which I think from your post you do and that you have a very special bond with I would do everything in my power to help her.

My boy has just had surgery (yesterday) for lameness issues, when they arthroscoped him they found serious problems but they thought he was worth the risk and have mended him - long road to recovery but I had to give him the chance.

Good luck and you are the only one that will know what is best for you both. xx

Riverboy

Visit site
Try the surgery - you have to give them the chance or else you'd always wonder what if - however be prepared to call it a day if the surgery doesn't work. Set a limit on time/procedures/a what point you call it a day and don't waver from it...

What a horrible situation - hugs and thoughts to you and your horse...

cazza

community.webshots.com
Personally, if the money was available I would try anything to get the horse put right to even get it comfortable. I say this as I didn't have the choice as to whether we tried to save my horse or not but would have loved to have been given the chance to try. At least then you will be left with no what if's in the back of your mind.

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
Thanks for the opinions people, keep em coming!

I think I know what I will do, I just need to be able to see the bigger picture, I am far too emotionally involved in all of this.

I will have a much better idea of what scenario I am dealing with after the xrays this morning. I can't wait to get her back here tonight!!

Theresa_F

Visit site
1 - PTS
2 - If money no problem, have a go, if no money then pts
3 - Have a go, put a time limit and cost on the treatment and if not working, pts

If I were not emotionally attached to the horse, then pts on all three as this is very young to have so many problems and does not bear well for the future.

That said, I spent thousands on a one eyed old clyde that was of no use to anyone but us - why - because he was much loved.

What I would not be inclined to do with such a young horse is to keep them or put them on loan as a field companion as this horse sounds in pain and without extensive and expensive treatments will always be that way.

Whatever you do, at the end of the day it is your decision and how you feel.

HenryandPeta

Visit site
I think I would have to at least try - IF I had the Insurance, and not least the time, money and comittment to Boo -which I'm pretty certain you do! Personally I would hate to just call it a day without giving her a shot at recovery - but you have to be prepared for the vet to turn around and say that's it, PTS.

Only you know Boo and how much she can take. And only you know what you can take, given we're going into winter, dark evenings and mornings, cold weather, expensive feed prices... that said, I'd do everything I could for Henry and if it meant I didn't have a life for a bit but there was a chance he would at least recover to a degree, I'd do it.

Hugs M - give me a shout if you need to.

flyingfeet

Visit site
1. If insured and covered - try the surgery, otherwise PTD

2. Surgery is preferable as steroid injections can have other nasty side effects like laminitis. Again depends on whether insured.

3. As only 6 would start with the physio and hold on steriods if poss.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
*Big hug*!
I'm sorry chick, I hop the x-rays come back as good as they possibly can.

Assuming all appropriate insurance is in place (if she's not insured I' say PTS to all 3
frown.gif

S1 - If I could afford to keep her if she were a field ornament ten IU'd give it a go, if I couldn't then PTS.

S2 - PTS as I feel it would just be too much to put the horse through

S3 - I'd give the surgery a go.

Ziggy_

Visit site
1, 2 and 3 PTS for me sorry. If money isn't an issue I'd consider attempting treatment for 3, but as someone else said put a limit on the timescale for showing improvement.

Marchtime

Visit site
Bounty,
I've been reading your posts, I'm so sorry. What a horrible position to be in.
My views:
Situation 1 - I'd probably go ahead with op
Situation 2 - from my understanding I think I'd pts. With a horse so young you're setting yourself up for a lifetime of problems as a result (experience)
Situation 3 - try every treatment available. KS doesn't have to be the end.
It's hard when you have a horse with all the talent in the world who you love and is an amazing friend but you know what is right for your horse. You'll know when it gets too much. Good luck.

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
Thanks to everyone who has posted. I do really appreciate your input.
Why do I let myself get so emotionally involved in these animals?!?!

Now, to see what the xrays say and take it from there. The main thing is though, in a couple of hours I will be loading her up to bring her home
grin.gif
It's been so empty here without her.

Sarahgema

Visit site
PTS - sorry to seem so final but a young horse in pain I know what I would do. Plus think what is best for the horse. Awful position to be in, really feel for you. Hope it gets sorted and the best thing for the horse is done in the end.
Keep your chin up!
x

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
To update!

Xrays of the neck and fetlock were absolutely clear, so for the time being they are being ruled out.
KS was confirmed, T12-16.

The plan of action of for Boo to trial a new therapy, called Mesotherapy. It involves a cocktail of long acting anti-inflammatories, steroids and Seropin, which is an anti-irritant. They are all injected just under the skin along her back, and if all goes well I should have a 'normal' horse in a fairly short period of time. The effects could last anything from a few weeks to 12 months or more.
It should break the cycle long enough for me to be able to begin to work her properly and do a whole load of physio stuff to strengthen her back up. Depending on how that goes we might opt for surgery in 10months or so, before the insurance runs out.

If there is no improvement at all with the mesotherapy then we will continue pursuing the neurological aspect of it all.

The neck - there is obviously something brewing there, even if it is not clear on xrays so that will have a close eye kept on it. Can chiropractors influence C4/5 under all that muscle? (that's a question for you to answer TPO! ) I'm sure the physio will have some massages and stretches too.

I am so pleased to have her back home - poor pony is ultra stressed
frown.gif
but hopefully she will settle by the morning.