3 shoes!!

Becky101

Visit site
This is probably going to sound like a stupid question but I was just wondering ..... my horse has thrown a front shoe and the farrier can't come out for atleast a week, would it be ok to lunge him and school him with only 3 shoes or would it be a bad idea seeing as he is uneven? Have never really known what to do when this happens and have normally just done a bit of quiet schooling until the farrier comes up to knock it back on but I just thought I would ask if this is sensible or not. I apologise for my ignorance
blush.gif
!! lol

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I stop working them if the lost shoe is on the front because it makes them rather uneven and can cause issues.

If its a hind shoe, i will tend to school still but lighter than usual.

Lots of people do keep going regardless, but I just dont think its right when they're uneven.

kirstyfk

Visit site
If he was unlevel then I wouldn't lunge but if sound it would carry on with a bit of light work. I have actually competed with 3 shoes but my horse was sound and had strong feet. She managed to twist the shoe travelling to the show so dad just pulled it off.

pagancluf

Visit site
Have you got a TB by any chance - mine exist with one - to three shoes every month until the farrier comes (he thinks I am stalking him as he has to come out so often!) I ride in menage on flat but dn jump or lunge, and they are fine.

Pidge

Visit site
am reading the answers with interest as Pidge came in tonight minus one front shoe, luckily no cracks or anything on hoof so farrier says turn him out tomorrow as he is being shod sat morning anyway. Do you worry if you can't find the shoe in the field because of the nails or not? Can't you tell I'm a born worrier
tongue.gif

teapot

Visit site
I had a an hour's flatwork lesson on a horse who was missing a front shoe.

Was on a rubber surface & he was fine

nomini

Visit site
Jigsaw lost a front shoe when I was at PC camp a couple of years ago, they couldn't organise a farrier to come out and he was sound without it so carried on riding him in all activities (had quite a lot of rain so the ground was soft). looking back it probably wasn't the most sensible thing to do but he was still sound at the end of the week and had his shoe put back on end of the following week.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
Cropi lost a back shoe a couple of weeks ago and as she was not sore I still rode her a little bit. We walked (with an equiboot on) 10 mins down the road so we could have a lesson, as the school is rubber I took the boot off for the lesson, we took it easy and she was fine. We went out for a hack as well but stayed on the fields and soft ground, again she was fine. I think it totally depends on your horse, you know her, she how she feels and if you think she is sore just jump off and walk home.