3 year olds

cundlegreen

Visit site
I'll admit, this got my back up, making assumptions on 'the process before that'.
You want to know what my process was?

I felt brave one day and sat on her in the field.
Then I did it again.
And then again with the saddle.
And then again but we walked about 10 meters.
Then we walked a bit more.
Then about 50 meters.
Then we went about 50 meters up the road and back.
Then we went to the end of the lane and back, which is about 600 meter total.

And then that was it. That is the exact total and record of how much 'work' she's done, over about a month and a half. She's done nothing since besides inhand walks.

I would never even DREAM of lunging a youngster, because I am well aware of how too much too young breaks them, my older mare is suffering from such at only 15 (I've had her 4 years). Also, I got vet approval (unprompted!) to start doing what I've done because she's very mature and well developed, certainly doesn't look 'gawky' for her age!
Don't get your back up, you've got the right idea. I'm much the same. Mine do plenty of long rein work to get them obedient to the voice, then are sat on ( just me, no helper), then hacked straight up the road. I produce my horses for showing and eventing, but from what I've seen, most young horses in yards are lunged with side reins, this is repeated under saddle, then they spend most of their time in the school. I would rather start at 4 or 5, but lead them out when younger from an older horse who will teach them a lot by their way of going, ie, get into a nice soft rhythm in trot and canter. This is the way I've always done it, but it seems to raise eyebrows from younger professionals.

windand rain

Visit site
What I really like about this thread is how nearly everyone is putting the young horses longevity ahead of 4 and 5 year old competitions. I know there is no guarantees but at least a mature start is a beginning

lottiepony

Visit site
Mine will be 5 in April this year but as a three year old we just did some in hand shows, walking out in hand and general handling, was bitted and had a saddle on.
He was sat on as a 4 year - literally just sat on, no moving but did grown work with long lines etc.
Then he's been away all winter to be a horse in a big herd and came back Sunday. He's clearly been charging around like a loon, his frame has strengthened up nicely and he's looking good with a nice attitude too.
Feels like he's constantly kept growing which is the main reason he hasn't done a lot, now standing at 17hh. We will now crack on with backing him and getting him hacking out. He will most likely be turned away again this winter

HorseyTee

Visit site
My little rising 4 yr old ia justa companion as he is on loan from a rescue so I am not allowed to bit or back him.
However, I have walked him out in hand and just teaching him manners (he was very nervous and hardly handled before) and exposing him to as many things as I can to make him a confident little cob.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
What I really like about this thread is how nearly everyone is putting the young horses longevity ahead of 4 and 5 year old competitions. I know there is no guarantees but at least a mature start is a beginning

I hate the age related competitions. From what I see of them, if you set out to have any chance of a rosette, then almost by definition, you are going to push the horse too far for its age, unless it is exceptionally mature.

I think this is born out by how few horses you see winning age classes that ever go on to great things.

I'll never forget watching Farouche winning at four and at five and thinking just how awesome she was. Then seeing her at seven warming up under Michael with Ferdi training and thinking she was a different horse, she looked so stilted. And completely unsurprised to hear that she was permanently broken down and retired at eight.