3 years old stallion - any more growth?

_jetset_

Visit site
I have a lovely 3 years old stallion who should have made around 17hh. He is currently standing at around 15.3hh at the moment but is very immature for his age, in fact he looks more like a 2 year old at the moment. He has always been a late developer, his tickle tackle only dropped this summer and he has absolutely no idea that he is entire!

Does anyone have any experience of late developing stallions or even late developing horses?

I need him to grow to at least 16.1hh... do you think this is still possible?

He is a July foalie.

Spring Feather

Visit site
I'd be very surprised if he doesn't make 16.1hh. Don't panic yet. He was a late foal and genetically he should make much taller than he is.

I bought a late developing breed youngster a number of years ago. He was 15.2hh at 3 years old. By the time he was 6 years old he was 16.3hh.

Another mare I bought as a 3 year old was 14.2hh and she made 15.2hh by 6 years old.

One of my 2 year olds was a midget right up till just a few months ago. He was by a 17hh stallion, out of a 15.2hh mare. I don't know whether he'll ever make the height he should, but as time goes on I see something very pleasing about him (I was worried he might only make 15.1hh or 15.2hh as that's a really tough sale at that size) and I now believe he will make 16hh instead of the 15hh that he was string testing at. He is almost 15hh now. His dam was not fully grown until she was 6 and it's part of her family trait that they are just a very slow growing line.

I've had it happen the other way around too.

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks guys... He is Hann in his breeding, by Don Ricoss out of an Espri mare.

He is very immature which is what has kept me hoping that he still has some growing to do, as like I say he still looks like a 2 year old at the moment.

TBB

Visit site
Sold a 3 year old Tb to someone whose only worry was that he wasn't big enough to be a chaser, he was 15.3hh, by the time he stopped growing he was 17hh.

sport horse

Visit site
I bought a mare in France (SF) in the December of her 4 yer old year (ie nearly 5). My worry was that at only a litle over 16hh she was barely big enough for top class show jumping. She ended up 17hh (and Grade A international!)

Lgd

Visit site
My 3yo stallion looked like a 2yo until about a 4 - 6 weeks ago when he has suddenly started to fill out a bit. He is currently around 15.3hh and expect him to put on at least another couple of inches. He still looks like a late 2yo/early 3yo compared to a similar aged stock going through the grading, but admittedly I have never hothoused him and he had a horrific few months as a yearling which I suspect will have had an effect of delaying his growth a touch.
His Mum was just over 15hh at 4½yo and finished at 16hh and kept growing until she was an 8yo. His full sister hit 15.2hh and stopped growing at just past 5yo, but although a bit slow to mature she was always way ahead of him. She looks like her sire, he is the spit of his dam and I suspect he might even creep a bit taller than 16.1hh if he follows her pattern.

I've already decided to delay backing him by another 6 months, he was due to go around now but will just continue to do ground work until next spring

sarahhelen1977

www.adonnis.co.uk
Adonnis was about 16.1hh when I got him at almost 3 - he is a GOOD 16.3hh now - maybe more, haven't had a stick on him for ages! Looking back, you wouldn't believe that the scrawny 3 year old that I brought home was the same horse - even 5 months later at his grading, and 5 years later looking back........wowser!!