crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

totally agree

Rueysmum

Visit site
Outrageous. Sounds like he could end up on a one way ticket to the meat man if she doesn't do her homework properly.

Why the heck can't she sell the competition horse if she can't afford both of them, or have a old chap put down at home? Selfish c*w!

Maizy

Visit site
He's such a cutie, bless I hope he gets a happy retirement. Poor thing to give so much in life he desreves to be loved. I expect it is a sign of things to come. 'credit crunch'

crazyponys

Visit site
not much meat for the "meat man "
poor fella , i agree rueysmum i think she should sell or loan the competition horse
or do the decent thing

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Very sad, if i could home him i would, he looks like a sweetheart and deserves a nice retirement, not going from pillar to post, i know this credit crunch is hard, but its so sad the old one has to go, even after all they have given in their life
My mare is with me to the end, and if that meant having to sell a second horse that i will buy when i retire her, then so be it

bloominmadpaddie

Visit site
I agree with you about having him put down cos you never know where they are going once they have left your hands. I Have a 27 year old that I still hack and do a little bit of competing on and i have a 13 year old that i love too bits but he would be the one to go cos the old boy deseves to live the rest of his life with me

GinaB

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
oooo pooor man , think i may phone up about him he would have lovely retirement with me
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

confused.gif
Were you not posting a few days ago that you are having to sell three of yours due to money problems? Or have I got you confused with someone else?

Rollin

Visit site
Has anyone in Uk contacted her? There is phone and email address. I agree that humane destruction would be better than a grotty home. I have a 30 year old still doing gentle hacking - could NEVER part with him.

I could take this horse but I am in France and it would be too expensive to ship him. He looks poor for a Morgan.

nicnag

Visit site
I'm sitting on my hands not to phone, I've been in the position of not being able to keep everything and it's tough, but I sold my youngster and kept my geriatrics - they owed me nothing after all the years I had from them. In that position I think I would PTS if she feels she really can't keep both and won't sell the comp horse. Looks like a lovely boy too.

GinaB

Visit site
smile.gif
That's good news you don't have to sell them
smile.gif

Fingers crossed either somone takes him on or she comes to her senses and has him PTS before he can fall into the wrong hands.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Sorry to sound like FOTD, but what does a horse have to do to ensure a home for life? He has MORE than paid his way, if you want to look at it like that.

Keltic

Visit site
Bloody hell my old girl is 29 and with me till the end, if the credit crunch got me id sell my gorgeous cob to be able to keep her, id never ever sell her, she has given me hours of fun and i feel its my job now to ensure she has the best retirement possible however long that maybe for.

SNORKEY

Visit site
If I were her id put him out on perminent loan, then at least she can go and see him every now and again, or give him to a rescue centre, Id never get rid of him, poor boy.
I have a spare stable but not enough time
frown.gif

lauraheads

Visit site
Its very sad
frown.gif

Hopefully he will find someone that might like to do a little bit of inhand showing at local shows. I think she will has had to make a tough choice and will be vetting the homes.

Chunkie

Visit site
I assume this person thinks she is doing the best thing for the horse in trying to find a new home for him, but honestly, if it was me, I'd have him PTS.

He doesn't look in fantastic condition in his summer coat so god knows what sort of condition he's in now, in the middle of winter.

Why do some people think it's so cruel to put horses down because they're still doing ok into their 30's? Surely better to end his life now, at the place he's lived for the past 10 yrs than to put him through the upset of moving - potentially to someone who may knock 10 yrs off him and try to sell him on?

stirky7

Visit site
Poor lad! I hope somebody can give him a good home, maybe somebody is desperate for a companion horse somewhere, fingers crossed.

My old guy is 29 (had him over 16 years) and would never ever get rid of him, he's here til the end. I think some people find it all too easy to get rid of horses that have been so good to them over the years when they become old and "useless". Once they become unrideable some seem to not want to know anymore. It can be hard work looking after veterans, but we owe them a good retirement (or semi retirement for those that are still up for hacking).

Of course she may genuinely not be able to afford him anymore, but like others have said wouldn't it be easier to sell her other one? Rather than let the old fella go somewhere where he could be carted off again?

If I had the money I would set up a sanctuary for veteran horses, they really are close to my heart.

RLF

Visit site
Who in this current climate is going to take on a 31 year old? Youngsters are selling for pitance. This horse has earned his retirement with her and bloody well deserves it. Or at least PTS. These ads make me so cross

Willow1306

Visit site
I just saw this and thought the same as everybody else. Her logic for giving him up is sad, how could you give up an old horse that has been with you for ''well over 10 years'' ?

I agree that having him PTS would be kinder, somewhere where he feels comfortable and with people he knows and loves. If not, finding cheaper livery for the pair of them? Cutting back on competitions with her younger horse to enable the old lad to be kept? I'm sure if she really thought about it she could find a way to keep him.

DuckToller

Visit site
Why do some people think it's so cruel to put horses down because they're still doing ok into their 30's? Surely better to end his life now, at the place he's lived for the past 10 yrs than to put him through the upset of moving - potentially to someone who may knock 10 yrs off him and try to sell him on?

Spot on, molmoo1.