3D/Double mesh/sandwich Fly Rugs?

Holzdweaver

Visit site
Sorry if theres already a thread on this, i searched but nothing specific came up.

My boy is being mithered to death and bitten through his fly rug (lots of trees in field and you can hear the low buzzing almost contantly under the trees where they shade, they seem to be very bad this year!) so more ruthless flies needs an upgrade in security measures.

Seems i have two choices, a thicker very close weave rug (iv been reccomended the Mark Todd Ultra), or a double mesh rug. Iv added an old fine cooler (very thin and goes over the head) i had laying around under his normal fly rug which has stopped the bites but is now rubbing, so cant use this long term.

Has anyone got one of the double meshed ones? For some reason i keep thinking that the larger holed outer with the thinner layer inside (3D and Sandwich) would just end up with squished flies between the layers? Yuck! or is that just me overthinking things lol... Then again if it gets the population down...

So im heading towards the double layer which seems to be two layers of the fine weave mesh (the HKM Midge sheet combo to be exact) Has anyone got one of these and do they seem more effective than a standard fly rug? Or not seen a difference? Any input would be appreciated :)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I use the Shires Sweet Itch Hoodie, and it is very tight weave, and other than on the hottest if days he is not overheating.

On the hottest days he has a Fal Silver Interactive fly rug, which is very still tight weave but very breathable, but not tailored as nicely, and the hood is too short when grazing. It is also a bit pricey.

I also have the cheaper thin mesh ones, Rhino and Buccas, but like you, I find that they are not such good protection from bites and he just has them for in the stable and horsebox.

Not had a double mesh one, so I will watch this thread with interest.