4 for 1 A picture in H&H, a mechanical horse and an Impy and Sarnie update!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Let me start by saying I still feel have no aptitude for dressage and my inadequacies in this phase frustrates enormously! :eek: On the plus side I have a horse who moves well and if I don't cock it up, she can do quite well in this phase. We have now done 3 BD competitions and had 2 mentions with pictures in H&H. See page 52 South West report.

For those that don't have H&H we scored 70% and won the Novice qualifier at Colraine despite her only being back in work a week following 3 weeks off at the end of the eventing season.

DSC_0054-1.jpg

So with it being a big ambition to get a write up and picture for our success :rolleyes: eventing we have now managed it twice for something I am not that interested in! :cool: Saying that I enjoy winning - anything!

Anyway I found something easier to rde last week! I went on a BE training course using a horse simulator. A really interesting time was had. The simulator is based at Jerwoods Farm, Culmstock Devon where Felicity Mann uses it to help riders perfect their position. Felicity's horse simulator is the latest model from Racewood. It is life sized and like a real horse takes every different type of saddle; GP, Dressage, etc. It has six paces and it is sensitive to leg, hand and seat pressure. *The simulator is surrounded by mirrors. Its gaits are not an exact replica of how the horse feels but it is similar enough to allow you to really work on your position.

Lets face it there are very few situations I will happily ride without stirrups and reins whilst focusing solely on my position. (Note I did keep my hat on!)
For me it was quickly noted that I collapsed slightly to the right, I was observed in all paces then helped to adjust my position. A common mistake is often to correct from the bottom up whereas the focus needs to be from the top. Your head weighs 8-12lbs and if that is pointing down it is like a horse on the forehand. Felicity worked with me to get my head in a neutral position with room between my chin and neck but not over correcting and either jutting the chin or looking up.

DSCF2577.jpg

Then the focus moved to my arms which needed to hang from the shoulders more. Don’t think shoulders back as this can tighten the back. Think of room in the armpit and the arm hanging down. Moving onto the spine, we mustn’t think of a straight back as the back has a natural curve, it is all about getting it in the neutral position.

The final thing for me was to think of bringing my seat slightly forward on the saddle. These small adjustments made a huge difference and by the end of the session (25 min on the simulator) I felt a lot softer and more*connected.

Moving onto Sarnie she has now been back in work 12 weeks and is starting a little school work. She is the same as ever (uncooperative ;) ) Took a little video last weekend and although you can see how much muscle she has lost I don't think she looks bad for a year off and 7 months in a stable?

[youtube]udaPeS5Etvw[/youtube]

It is great to have her back and we are just taking things steady at the moment.

Finally onto Impy my Master Imp 4 year old who starting to really come on. Rather hoping she isn't sold before next Spring, I am currently preparing her with a event future in mind, it is amazing how she is muscling up and getting stronger. She has quite a jump too!

Snapshot118-11-201221-22-1.png

Well I think that covers all my news for a minute, well not the nearly ready new lorry but that may be another post ;) For a sneak prevew there are some build pictures on my Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151134462007320.460452.195149382319&type=1

Jesstickle

Visit site
Not quite it was Jan/Feb but she had 4 months off before that because of my injury!

I still can't believe it was 9 months ago. Holy moly, where does time go?!

Congrats on all your write ups. I bet you're starting to annoy the poor dressage folk desperate to get a picture though. Careful or they'll all be after you ;)

MegaBeast

Visit site
Congrats, saw your pic in H&H earlier. And the 4 yr old does look lovely.

As I said on fb, would love a session on the horse simulator. If anyone is interested in getting a group together for a session with Felicity I would be very interested.

And ditto JT - lovely to see Sarnie back!

daveismycat

Visit site
You've been busy!!

All the team are looking great, 2013 must be an exciting prospect.

The horse simulator sounds wonderful. I really wish there was something like that around here.

measles

Visit site
So do I, daveismycat. SJ directed me to Felicity's website and fascinating stuff.

Great result and pic for Pip. Most people would give their right arm for dressage results like that :)

Impy has come on so much and how exciting to have your old slippers - or is it party heels - Sarnie back!

Supanova

Visit site
The final thing for me was to think of bringing my seat slightly forward on the saddle. These small adjustments made a huge difference and by the end of the session (25 min on the simulator) I felt a lot softer and more*connected.
.10151134462007320.460452.195149382319&type=1[/url]

Well done for your win and getting a write up in H&H!! Re the above i tried this when riding this morning as it is something someone suggested on one of my threads - couldn't agree more that it makes a huge difference!

Tempi

Visit site
Well done for your BD sucess, moving over to the darkside slowly ;) :D

The mechanical horse sounds like a really great thing to do, i'd love to be able to do something like that. How did you find out about it? I dont think theres anything similar in my area unfortunately.

Sarnie is looking fab, great to see her in action again :)

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
Well done! So there IS hope for us jump riders dipping our toes into dressage :D

I'd love a shot on a mechanical horse. If a group thing ever does happen, I'd travel. I rather like a road trip :)

flohelf

Visit site
Nice to see Sarnie again! And to discover Impy (new kid on the block to me!) Looking promising...
Wow at your lorry...Bet you're impatient to see it ready.... to take the team all over Europe :)

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Well done for your BD sucess, moving over to the darkside slowly ;) :D

The mechanical horse sounds like a really great thing to do, i'd love to be able to do something like that. How did you find out about it? I dont think theres anything similar in my area unfortunately.

Sarnie is looking fab, great to see her in action again :)

It was advertised as a BE training day although she does do private sessions http://www.felicitymann.co.uk/index.php

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Nice to see Sarnie again! And to discover Impy (new kid on the block to me!) Looking promising...
Wow at your lorry...Bet you're impatient to see it ready.... to take the team all over Europe :)

Really excited about the lorry always had a nice Solitaire but this just has loads more storage and really built to our spec. Just hope we can sell our lorry as bit of the wrong time of year now.