4 tests in One Day!

m1stify

Visit site
Just wondering does anyone have any experience doing 4 tests in One day (2 tests twice) - it is for an individual comp and a team comp hence doing both tests twice.
Any tips? Most I have done is 2 tests in one day and found it pretty tiring!
looking for tips for warmup etc. Thanks.
Or am I mad to attempt the 4?

Wheels

Visit site
Are you sure they are separate tests and not the individual tests used towards the team event?

Personally no, I wouldn't do 4 tests - if they are all separate then I'd choose individual or team but not both

miss_c

Visit site
Most I have ever done and would ever do are 3 in one day with one horse, and then would be prepared to withdraw from the third. Weather (ie heat) would also be taken into consideration. We've only done 3 once, and that was at Petplan Areas.

I've done 4 tests in one day with two horses, and it was chaotic! Did it twice and never again!

only_me

Visit site
Ive done 3 in a day with bill, but he is used to eventing so doing 3 things in one day wasnt overly taxing but the tests were 2 novice and an elem, so not being asked too much of himself.

What level are the tests at and how fit is your horse?

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
M has done 4 tests a day a couple of times now but that is only with ONE warm up of 45 mins and then the rest of the time just go straight in and do the tests so really, he probably only does about an hour and 10 mins of work all day! The tests are only Prelim and Novice so not exactly too taxing for him. He has been fine, but as I say, that is with only one 45 min warm up and he is very fit!

PorkChop

Visit site
I wouldn't do four in one day personally, however if you think about it an eventer does far more in one day! I suppose a lot would depend on how much warming up for each class you need to do and how fit your horse is!

m1stify

Visit site
Well what I am going to do is enter team and indv. and make decision on day whether to do the indiv. as team comes 1st ;) will only lose the entry fee so have all bases covered. Thanks for all the comments

khalswitz

Visit site
It's the brain and concentration fatigue rather than physical fatigue from so many tests that is the problem. I am about to go and do three with boy next weekend, and am prepared to do our usual 1/2 hour warmup for the first one, a five minute 'wake up' for the second, and same for the third, which should be no problem at all for him physically as event fit, but I'm more worried about losing his focus! 4 I wouldn't do, personally - if do the two team ones and one individual if in your case.

Happy Hunter

Visit site
I would, as others have said. 1) No worse than a days ODE or hunting for a fit horse. (assuming fit)
2) Weather taken into consideration
3) Warm up well for the first test, then little 'top up' warm ups for the others
4) Try not to contain my brain from leaking out from my ears upon trying to learn 4 tests on one day!!! :D

Chirmapops

Visit site
Well what I am going to do is enter team and indv. and make decision on day whether to do the indiv. as team comes 1st ;) will only lose the entry fee so have all bases covered. Thanks for all the comments

This sounds like a fair plan, especially as they're only Prelim, it shouldn't be too taxing - surprising decision by the competition organisers to put you in that position, mind.