4 weeks into SI rehab, being positive about progress.

be positive

Visit site
My boy had injections into his sacroiliac joint just over 4 weeks ago, the prognosis is not great but every effort is being made to try and ensure he has a future, he is only 10 so deserves the chance.
He had a few days box rest, restricted turnout and in hand walking, followed by a week of short walking hacks and gradually going out into a normal field.
First physio treatment was 2 weeks after the injections, she found loads to work on, a positive as it gave more reasons for him to be as sore as he was, I was given a list of things to do each day, walking was to increase up to one hour.
His daily routine is to be ridden out, have a good massage, stretches to all legs, carrot stretches am, pm walk out in hand, polework, more massage and stretches, out overnight.
This week 2nd physio visit, she was extremely pleased with progress, his range of movement has improved, his muscle tone also much better, she feels that having made so much improvement so quickly that the prognosis may be better than first thought, trotting can be introduced carefully, more complicated stretching to be done including me holding up his hind foot while he stretches round me for a carrot, not easy but he has now got it sussed, he will do anything for a carrot even complicated ballet moves!!!
Trotting has started and he is so much happier, the main indication of the problem, other than being lame at times, was his reluctance to trot in the school, he is now willingly trotting forward, ears pricked, only allowed to trot on the long side but I am having to ask him to stop rather than work to keep him going.
The trotting will gradually increase, poles will be introduced to get him more engaged, next physio in 2 weeks time I hope the improvement will continue and by then he will be totally sound, he has gone from 2-3/10ths to less than 1/10th in 4 weeks so we are on the last push forward now.
His confidence has also improved, his cheeky personality is coming back and he is generally more relaxed to ride, hopefully being free of pain will enable everything to settle and he will have a future he can enjoy.

Flame_

Visit site
My horse was diagnosed with SI pain, amongst other things, around this time last year and had the injections. He's just completed two 30k hilly rides on consecutive days sound with good recovery rates. Its not necessarily the end of the world at all. :)

PorkChop

Visit site
Great news that everything is definitely heading in the right direction, fingers crossed for the future, bet it feels great to be back on him :)

superpony

Visit site
Glad to hear your horse is doing so well! :) My horse badly damaged his sacroiliac and chipped part of the bone off his pelvis a few years ago, he had injections and physio. The vet wasn't sure if we could get him right but he is now 16 and going better than ever successfully competing at BD. :)