4 Year Olds Bsja

Wasrandyra

Visit site
Hi

Just wondering what you would expect of a 4 year old in its first season.

The horse is very established, rides like a 6 year old, changes, all very natural and balanced, very bold.

Would you get your double clears BN/D or would you look at age classes. Obviously keep mileage to a minimum, but looking at it progressively with 5 year old classes in mind next year?

Thoughts please
smile.gif

natalia

Visit site
I would start right at the bottom, BN and poss a couple of intro shows to get its nerve up. and work my way up from there. i don't go any bigger with my youngsters till they are working at least 10cm bigger at home and getting the four double clears for second rounds. Non of my lot have thrown the towel in and are all consistant bold jumpers and much better for it. I also wouldn't take a 4yr old straight in to bsja BN, would make sure i had been to several clear rounds at BSJA centres first. I don't put any pressure on my horses as at 4 its way to easy to ruin them.

jotesh

Visit site
I would definately say BN and probably Disc. Age classes for 4 year olds are 1m so similar size to Disc although not against the clock. My horse when 4 jumped all her BN and Disc double clears but was not ready for the 2nd rounds this time last year when rising 5.

I always think horses tell you when they are ready to move up, if they are consistently jumping BN well and with ease they are ready for Disc, etc.

5 year old classes are pretty meaty. Last year at Scope the first round was 1.15 and 1.25 in the second. You need a pretty good 5 year old to jump them. W&W, Weston Lawns, etc tend to be 1.05 / 1.10 in first round.

StaceyTanglewood

Visit site
Ive been told to jump my 4yo no bigger than a 1m this year - go to some intro over the summer (eeek first one this weekend doing a 70xm and a 80cm) then be ready to come out next year to do BN, Discovery and be looking at getting the double clears then and moving onto newcomers by end of the year !!

as someone said 4yo classes are a 1m - there is one at towerlands in a few weeks i wanted to go to but am on holiday !!!