4x4 - am i dreaming?

abbijay

Visit site
I have recently bought a trailer and now need something to tow it with. It's a BIG richardson with MGW 2.7 tonnes. My horse weighs just short of a tonne (850-900kg) and I want the option to carry a friend for fun rides so I'm looking at vehicles with 3 tonnes or more towing capacity (ideally 3.5tonnes) - ETA: i know i can't carry more than 2.7 tonnes but I'd rather the car was over catered for.
My budget is £3k but I want something already roadworthy for that price, not showroom condition just with nothing hanging off and i'm not mechanical so I don't want it to need work before I can take it out. I don't mind age but I keep seeing Discos and defenders that are 20 years old for £4-5k!!!! Is my budget really that far off reality??
TIA x

Lulwind

Visit site
I have recently bought a trailer and now need something to tow it with. It's a BIG richardson with MGW 2.7 tonnes. My horse weighs just short of a tonne (850-900kg) and I want the option to carry a friend for fun rides so I'm looking at vehicles with 3 tonnes or more towing capacity (ideally 3.5tonnes) - ETA: i know i can't carry more than 2.7 tonnes but I'd rather the car was over catered for.
My budget is £3k but I want something already roadworthy for that price, not showroom condition just with nothing hanging off and i'm not mechanical so I don't want it to need work before I can take it out. I don't mind age but I keep seeing Discos and defenders that are 20 years old for £4-5k!!!! Is my budget really that far off reality??
TIA x

You should be able to get an early 200Tdi Land Rover 110 for your budget, or possibly a late 200Tdi/early 300Tdi Discovery.

Not sure about other makes as only have knowledge of Land Rovers. Recommend getting a mechanic to check

Annagain

Visit site
Land Rovers do tend to hold their prices more than other makes.
You have little choice if you want some thing that will tow 3.5 tonnes though as they're few and far between. You might find a Shogun or a Fourtrack for that sort of price.
I'm a big fan of Defenders (especially a 90) for towing (not many are, but I've never had anything else that felt it made so little effort to pull the weight) They're not comfy though so if it's your everyday car as well, it's worth considering. An older Defender will be more reliable than an older Discovery though which is also something to consider.

There's a website that will give you the maximum towing weights of cars. Not sure what it is but I'm sure you can google it.

ROG

Visit site

What weight will you actually be towing - weight of empty trailer plus load added together ??

It is that weight which needs to be concentrated on when choosing a towing vehicle

EXAMPLE -
trailer plus load = 2000
Vehicle towing capacity must be 2000+

PS - I assume you have a B+E licence?

Luci07

Visit site
Jeep again. Definately get an older one at that price, just budget to get the car thoroughly checked over by a good mechanic. That is worth the money!

ladyt25

Visit site
Have a look at jeep cherokee.
Good towing capacity and very reasonable prices second hand.

Very thirsty on fuel though.

Have you tried the Isuzu Troopers or Mitsubishi Shogun (LWB)? They look to have a towing capacity of 3500kgs

You could also try the Landrover Defender (although depends if you just want for towing/horse stuff of as a general runabout as well I guess).

abbijay

Visit site
What weight will you actually be towing - weight of empty trailer plus load added together ??

It is that weight which needs to be concentrated on when choosing a towing vehicle

EXAMPLE -
trailer plus load = 2000
Vehicle towing capacity must be 2000+

PS - I assume you have a B+E licence?

Trailer = 1100kg
My horse = 900kg
So minimum 2000kg but definitely want to take another with us. Plus water, tack, passengers in the car. It makes sense to have 3+tonne towing.

I only have provisional B+E so will be driving supervised on L-plates to begin with.

BTW - It's only going to be a towing vehicle. Getting a company car for the day to day. I can't afford the diesel for commuting in a 4x4!

Thanks for the great suggestions so far x

ROG

Visit site
I only have provisional B+E so will be driving supervised on L-plates to begin with.
The supervisor must be over age 21 and have held a B+E for at least 3 years

Pre 1997 B+E licence holders are allowed to supervise - some B+E training sites and myths say different but they are incorrect

Must have the usual L plates and please check with insurer as some will not cover learner drivers

georgiegirl

Visit site
you will definately find something in that budget. I have just recently sold a mitsubishi pajero which was immaculate for less than your budget! (would recommend over land rover any day) Would go for a pajero over a shogun as they tend to have much less in the way of rust (mine had none!) due to spending the majority of their lives over in japan.

Only major downside with them is that they are thirsty on fuel but then you will find that with any big 4x4.

Good luck!

Hippona

Visit site
Thing about Discos .....the cheaper older ones tend to be mechanically reliable but have more holes than a T-bag.....speaking from experience here:eek:

However I love them so I replaced my 200TDi with a TD5.....much nicer drive, less like a tractor and more like an actual car IYKWIM:D I paid £3.5k for it privately and its in great nick although I think the shockers need looking at right now. Its does well on the diesel though and is cheap to insure. It has towed an older heavy Rice trailer no problems.

My other choice would be a Shogun...although the boot space doesn't seem as big ( I can get 7-8 bales in the back of the Disco at a squeeze)

wildcard

Visit site
Another vote for the disco. Mine was one fo the 'older ones' Been P reg but i owned for just under 2 years and TBH wouldnt tow with anything else.. Felt so safe with all that weight behind you. Mine did have the odd tea bag holes but nothing which affected its ability and safety.. Disco's are work horses and so dont always look pretty but do a garn good job.. Can pick some of the olders ones up well within your budget.

MiCsarah

Visit site
I'm looking into a landrover defender. Tows 3.5k and there's a lovely one on autotrader ATM for £2,995 which is cheap for a defender. Not exactly the most comfortable but they do the job

Clannad48

Visit site
Another vote for the Jeep Cherokee, I spent many an hour researching which 4x4 to buy - ended up with a 2.8 diesel cherokee which has a towing capacity of 3500kg - not that I would dream of towing that much - plenty of give for a 505 trailer and 2 17hh horses and all the stuff you end up taking with you. Ok so the fuel consumption is not the best in the world but I average between 25 - 28 mpg both towing and on its own, and I am known to have a heavy right foot. Its the same mpg as I used to get from the landy.

Last edited:

silverghost

Visit site
I have a 300tdi discovery, N reg, 1996, bought 3 yrs ago for £1700 with 83k miles full service history. They are about n gr8 to tow with and work on when req'd. They are more economical than TD5 & less problematic. I tow 2 big horses in am equitrek all over country for qualifiers and its gr8. They're built to last.

angel7

Visit site
You should be able to pick up a very nice and newer LWB Nissan terrano for 3K.
Will tow the weight required easily, lots around, reliable too. 2.7TD adequate, 3.0TD best one.
Rust can be an issue on older 4x4's and can cause them to fail MOT and need excessive welding ect.

Do consider your circumstances- if you have a mechanic friend who can fix things go for a LAndy or disco. If you need to pay a garage to fix stuff go for nissan, izusu ect.
Do not be temped by pretty body work- get under it with a screw driver and digg around for rot.
Check the 4x4 system works properly, v expensive to fix otherwise!!

debsflo

Visit site
i would go Daihatsu Fourtrak or Isuzu both have excellent towing capacity.

i have an N reg Vauxhall Monterey , which is the rebadged Isuzu.

it is a 3.1 and tows 3.5 tons.

it is in excellent condition,has fsh ,69000 on the clock and cost me £2000. shop around they are out there.