4x4 for towing two horses other than a Discovery!

Kamakazegirl

Visit site
Hi everyone.
After years of persuasion, I have managed to persuade the parentals to get a 4x4 to tow a trailer :) However we are having trouble agreeing on a suitable one. It will need to tow an Ifor 510/a Rice (both of which are about a tonne) plus up to two of our horses: (15.3hh Tb 460kg/14.1 Connie 400kg/15.3 wb 540kg) My mother wants a Discovery because she knows it will tow them with ease, however my dad really has something against them and says that they are to expensive to run and big and bulky and wants a Nissan X trail. However from my calculations we will be pushing the towing limit with the X trail as the diesels limit is 2 tonnes. So i'm thinking we need a 4x4 with a towing limit of about 2.5tonnes and something that is suitable for normal day to day driving as well as towing.
Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

Superstar

Visit site
My Grand Jeep Cherokee was very good...it was a bit of a beast and was very long!! But made nothing of the towing - you wouldn't even know you had a horse on board!! The stats say they can tow up to 3500KG although I only ever travelled one in an ifor 505. They are fairly reasonable to buy, but cost a lot when they go wrong or for tyre..like all 4x4's..lol.. from my experience - deffo a diesel of at least 2.5 or 2.8 and deffo a long wheel base type...the smaller ones just cant pull and I think legally are not heavy enough weight ratio for a trailer etc. The Shogans (LWB) are also pretty good.

sue_nf

Visit site
We have a Kia Sorrento, we bought it for its brilliant towing capabilities, it pulls our equitrek with two horses in really well. I'm told the new design is not good for towing as its more sporty.

Superstar

Visit site
We have a Kia Sorrento, we bought it for its brilliant towing capabilities, it pulls our equitrek with two horses in really well. I'm told the new design is not good for towing as its more sporty.

yes someone else mentioned a Kia Sorrento when we were looking but we never got round to trying one, but have heard they are good.

sue_nf

Visit site
I love mine, it's our second one in a row that we've owned, although I love the look of the new shape I'm really sad that they have lost their towing capabilities.

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
You need to check the braked weights of any 4x4. The X-Trail is no where near enoguh for a trailer and 2 horse/ponies - your trailer and 2 horses take up nearly all that and you need ot allow for tack, people etc. You need a MINIMUM of 2.5 tonnes to be safe.

Troopers, Shoguns, Land Cruisers, HiLux will all do the job as a well as a Discovery.:)

dixie

Visit site
Nissan Terrano's are great. Had 3 and all have towed IW 510 and two horses easily. Easy to drive around town too.

I've now got an auto Jeep Grand Cherokee and thats fab too, not so easy to maneouvre around town tho. Love the auto and the leather interior though!

Kamakazegirl

Visit site
Thanks everyone, i'll pass these along to them, and i am googling as we speak!

You need to check the braked weights of any 4x4. The X-Trail is no where near enoguh for a trailer and 2 horse/ponies - your trailer and 2 horses take up nearly all that and you need ot allow for tack, people etc. You need a MINIMUM of 2.5 tonnes to be safe.
QUOTE]

This is what i explained to my dad, but did he listen-No!

misty_welsh

Visit site
We have a pick up, Nissan Navara - tows 2 x 16.2 in a 505 really well. Separate boot/back is quite handy at shows, as main part of car (valuables) can be locked up and 'boot' left open. Nice to have separate 'horsey' area for dirty rugs / straw etc. Very reasonable road tax too! :)

It's a bit awkward parking it sometimes though :eek:

mirage

Visit site
Another Sorento owner here.Mine is an 07 which I think will pull 3.5t.It recently towed 2 x ponies,3 people,plus tack,water and all the other stuff you need,off a wet field with no effort at all.I love it.

Suelin

Visit site

I would second this. I have one and it is superb. We also have an Equi Trek and the Kia doesn't know it's there even with 2 up.

Sealine

Visit site
I can also recommend a Kia Sorrento. Mine is an auto diesel 08 plate and will tow the same as a Discovery. Tows two horses in an Ifor Williams 511 no problem.

Kamakazegirl

Visit site
Thanks everyone!
Looks like the Sorento is getting a lot of votes!
Which is the best 4x4 for towing a 510 trailer?
That might be useful :D

I hope you have a B+E licence or a B+E supervising driver if only got B

Thanks for that, that was useful! It wont be me driving it, it will be my mum who has a B+E, i've only passed my normail driving test a month and my insurance on a 1.1 Mitsubishi Colt is horrendus, never mind a 4x4!

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
I have an old Toyota Landcruiser Colorado, and it tows my IW 510 with two big horses on board with no problems, but its also a lovely 4x4 to drive around town, on motorways etc, huge boot, can seat 7/8 people ..... love it. :D

pigpony

Visit site
Something totally different ....Nissan patrol (aren't many about) they are huge but an absolute beast though and tows anything. You really don't know you've got anything behind you! I was very sad to see ours go, but my dad wanted a 'pretty' range rover!

welshcobmad

Visit site
I have a Terrano 2.7TD short wheel based with a braked limit of 2800kg its awesome.

Picking up our hire IW510 for the summer which MAM is withing the limit & its 1000kg unladen. Horses are 15.2 550kg & 17.2kg 650kg so talking 2200kg plus then tack & 2 people we're nicely under the limit :)

ROG

Visit site
Thanks for that, that was useful! It wont be me driving it, it will be my mum who has a B+E, i've only passed my normail driving test a month and my insurance on a 1.1 Mitsubishi Colt is horrendus, never mind a 4x4!
Worth looking at you being a named driver on mums insurance or if you have fully comp you might be covered to drive other vehicles

But dont hold your breath !!

courage_uk

Visit site
you mum is right

The Disco is the right work horse for your job so to speak. Now to ease our dads worries, tell him to look at Defenders / Discos / Classic and P38 range rovers and look at gas converted models. my Landrover Range Rover 3.9 V8 Vogue SE ( its a classic) runs on petrol and gas and we get money wise 30 to the gallon and 27mpg when towing with my 2 horses ( 17hh and 17.3) hope this helps. but Landrover is what you want, spares are cheap as chips on ebay too and its big kid meccano so any mechanic or budding DIY'ist can fix them if need be

hope this helps

Jo x

Last edited:

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Our Disco is brill for towing :D. Also very easy and comfortable to drive (I do a lot of miles in mine, more than I should really considering that it's really a workhorse and not a motorway car, but I can't find one that I prefer :rolleyes:).

To put your Dad's fears to rest, get the breakdown cover with the AA. Something like £10 a month, it covers five breakdowns a year for upto £500 each. We've used it a couple of times when the car has gone ping! whilst out and about. Certainly helped out at the time :D.

Also, get yourself a good local Land Rover mechanic. Ours has saved us a fortune :D. The Disco has to go to the 'normal' garage every now and then, but on the whole, the nice mechanic can do whatever it is that needs doing :D

olderthanshelooks

Visit site
The max weight of a 510 is 2.8 ton, so you need to make sure the vehicle you buy has a max towing weight of at least that but the more the better.

An Isuzu Rodeo and the Ford Ranger (07 onwards) both have a max tow capacity of 3 tonne.
Discovery, Defender and a Daihatsu Fourtrak all 3.5 tonne.
The newer Mitsubishi L200's I believe are 2.8 (but don't quote me on that)
Mitsubishi Shogun (even the short wheelbase) are 3.5 tonne.

Also if you go for a commercial vehicle (i.e pick up) tax is £215 where as I think something like a Discovery if Y Reg or newer tax is considerably higher!

Hope this helps.

PS would highly recommend the Isuzu

dornrose

Visit site
I have just changed my ford maverick which towed 2700kgs easily for a Nissan Terrano 3.0l which is excellent to tow with and is fairly reasonable on fuel. Thoroughly recommend it, easy to drive and a superb tow vehicle.

tinap

Visit site
Don't let your mum win & get a disco!! It's the worst thing I ever did getting one!!

When it is broke, which is about every 3 months, I use my mums Nissan Terrano. Not sure which model it is but its a 7 seater 3.2ltr & tows really easy xx

Troyseph

Visit site
We've just bought a mitsu l200... It's surprisingly not as bad as we thought on fuel consumption(were getting approx 450 miles to a full tank) and an average of 32mpg:)